Notices

Thread: Amsteel Blue 7/64" rope for skiing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallredrider View Post
    BTW...The Cobra knot only shows a loop at one end of the braid. How do you attach a rope at one end, and a handle at the other end? Is there a way to make a loop at either end?
    We just did some splicing and other things to make it double looped. I used 4 lines as a core to make my braid a little bigger. I will take a photo of some braids tonight.

Reverse Scorpion Professional Dennis Pinter's Avatar
    IP
    Myself and several other foilers in the area have been using Amsteel line for many years, and for the most part like it very much.

There usually are positives and negatives to anything. Same goes for line.

For those who have no idea, Amsteel is a trade name used by Samson rope company in the USA.

Samson actually makes this rope from fibers that are made in the Netherlands called "Dyneema". Similar, but supposed to be better than "Spectra".

Other than ski rope, Amsteel has long been used for everything from winches on suv's, all size boats and ships, tree service. The list is endless. Anything that wire rope could do, Amsteel could do better.

There is Amsteel, and also Amsteel Blue. For our purpose, water skiing, either one would have no real advantage over the other, unless your skiing with a line that is so thin, the extra strength would be needed.

Amsteel Blue or regular Amsteel both are made in several colors, not just blue. Samson Rope makes the rope in all the nice colors, but it is up to there distributors and retailer to stock what ever colors they choose.

Keep in mind that Amsteel Blue is really just plain white, like Spectra, until is is coated with the nice colored coating (any color) . They call this coating "Samthane". Gives it that silky slippery cut resistant feel.

So if you want the real deal, Amsteel Blue, don't think that the blue color is any better than the other colors. The "Blue" has nothing to do with the color blue.

I think as much as I like the line, there definitely are some drawbacks.

The Bad: When old and wet, it will tangle much more than some of the stiff plastic coated lines out. But then, those tangle free lines are usually not hollow braided, and have to be sewn together and shrink wrapped.

That makes the later much more difficult if not impossible for most people to repair.

You do have to be careful not to just toss out the coil and expect it to behave.

The Good: Hollow braided. Just plain simple to splice, repair, add sections, take out sections. Get it tangled in the prop, usually the damage is pretty superficial, and if not, cut it out and splice in a new section right in the boat.

I gotta say that when people say that Amsteel is indestructible, I would somewhat agree. I've been on the same rope for close to 8 years, caught in props a few times, wing catches, and no sign of the rope failing. Just tangles a little more each year.

When new the Samthane coating does a reasonable job at keeping the line fairly stiff. Takes a few years to get to the point where others in the boat start belly aching.

Amsteel has a cross section that is very round and smooth, unlike some other similar lines that have a cross section being almost triangular.

When the line has finally outlived it's skiing days, you might throw it in your trunk of your war or truck and used it as a last ditch effort as a tow rope. 3/16" line rated at 5400 lb break when new.

I ride with the 3/16" Amsteel coated yellow. Any thinner than that for me makes me a bit nervous. The yellow really stands out on the water. I also like the silver. Looks like cable.

We got lucky and got a good deal on two giant spools from Samson. We have enough line to last several lifetimes. Several thousand feet in yellow and silver.

In the end, I think some people love it and others hate it. Or you just wait 5 years until it turns full circle.

I would be interested in what others think of this line as long as they don't confuse it with just any old Spectra.

I did learn something important from the start of this thread, that being. If you get a single knot in your line, or better yet, if you splice lines using knots, you can loose 50% or more of your line strength. Better learn the "Brummel splice"
    Dennis Pinter

IP

Senior Foiler Elite
    IP
    Jay, we have got to get you a winter hobby :). You gonna start selling these lines?
    Mike
    '12 MB Sport 23' B52 Widebody
    '04 Mastercraft X2 -- SOLD
    Sky Ski Launch
    XXX/UFO/Xair

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
    Jay, we have got to get you a winter hobby :). You gonna start selling these lines?
    I thought about it but it's not that much fun to to and kinda time consuming. If you want a 90' line with 3 take off sections I would say $60 CONUS. You can do it your self and save about 50%. All you need is an old TV/radio antenna and some patience.

IP
    That is pritty cool stuff. I want to ride with it in Havasu.

2012 Foiltech 40
    2013 FoilTech Death Blade II
    2013 FTR Rear
    2013 XAir Tower
    2012 Air Chair Stripe Board
    2013 Cinch Green Belt and Bindings

www.utahhydrofoiling.com

Am I pissing you off-fuh-fuh?

Senior Foiler Elite Tallredrider's Avatar
    IP
    Here is how mine turned out. I ran over a rope while out foiling with Foil-N-Powell, and used the remants to make a cobra knot. I put one of the 5 foot take offs onto the rope when I made the first overhand knot, so then I have a loop now at both ends of the knot.

Conicidentally, a 65 foot wakeboard rope makes about 3 feet of cobra knot. Seemed just about right to me.

IP
    Hope that sinking braid wont sink your handle! You get a new line or some Amsteel?
    ><(((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>Â

Senior Foiler Elite Tallredrider's Avatar
    IP
    A kind friend of mine heard of the rope incident and bought me a new rope for Christmas. I am thinking that most handles will float enough that the fact that the braid sinks won't affect it much if the rest of the line floats. Plus it was just an experiment to see if the knot would look good even when a knucklehead like me does it. I almost bought a section of Amsteel just to play with, but got a little intimidated about making loops in it for take offs and the tow pylon. The Amsteel website does have great instructions on how to make loops in the end, and they even sell a special tool (called a fid, BTW), but they don't make it in that small of a size.

While deciding what I would do there, the new rope came in the mail.

Blog Entries
    IP
    There's 2 schools of thought on the ropes. Floats so it can be seen and avoided, and sinks so theres less of a chance you will run over it. I think floats works better for foiling. Because of the release, if you pop the release and drop the rope it's gone, put some floats on the handle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12