PDA

View Full Version : Wing shape questions

MBF21Tomcat
01-20-2009, 03:50 AM
I have two older sky ski's. I recently bought the second one. Until I bought the second one, I didn't know there were different shapes for the wings. My older one has a flat front wing and my newer, to me, has curved tips. My question is, which one does what?

Jay
01-20-2009, 08:26 AM
I have two older sky ski's. I recently bought the second one. Until I bought the second one, I didn't know there were different shapes for the wings. My older one has a flat front wing and my newer, to me, has curved tips. My question is, which one does what?Winglets, the curved part, are standard on all SS Pro models. If you have one without the winglets they were probably cut off. Take both wings with you to the lake and try each one out. There might be a chance you won't be able to tell the difference.

Foiler
01-20-2009, 09:06 AM
From your other post, I got the assumption that one is an Air Chair and one is a Sky Ski. You also mentioned something about getting the Air Chair polished, I wouldn't even waste my time especially if you have a Sky Ski pro with a shock tower now. After you start riding it, I doubt you will even want to mess with the other one. The original Air Chair had a flat front and they were also powder coated like you mentioned, they bolt into the seat completely different but the boards are interchangable so the name on the board means nothing. Post some pics and we can tell you exactly what you have.

N2Orbit
01-20-2009, 09:10 AM
I have two older sky ski's. I recently bought the second one. Until I bought the second one, I didn't know there were different shapes for the wings. My older one has a flat front wing and my newer, to me, has curved tips. My question is, which one does what?

Can you post pictures of both your hydrofoils? This will help us better answer your question's by knowing what model's you have.

Foiler
01-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Just saw the picture of your old Sky Ski in your album. Definitely a Sky Ski. If it doesn't have wingtips someone must have cut them off and if they did that they may have spent some time tuning it. Would like to see some pictures of your new one too and some close ups of the old one. The T-bars should be identical and the wings if they are both cast foils.

MBF21Tomcat
01-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Winglets, the curved part, are standard on all SS Pro models. If you have one without the winglets they were probably cut off. Take both wings with you to the lake and try each one out. There might be a chance you won't be able to tell the difference.

I will do that. Spring can't come soon enough. My boat is getting a new bravo 3 outdrive and props next week. That's a long story, but I will say last summer was not too fun. Thanks for insurance.

MBF21Tomcat
01-20-2009, 12:43 PM
From your other post, I got the assumption that one is an Air Chair and one is a Sky Ski. You also mentioned something about getting the Air Chair polished, I wouldn't even waste my time especially if you have a Sky Ski pro with a shock tower now. After you start riding it, I doubt you will even want to mess with the other one. The original Air Chair had a flat front and they were also powder coated like you mentioned, they bolt into the seat completely different but the boards are interchangable so the name on the board means nothing. Post some pics and we can tell you exactly what you have.

I think they are both sky ski's, but they do mount to the towers a little differently. I assumed one was a little older or due to one being a rock tower and the other being a shock tower that they might mount a little differently. I will post pictures in the next couple of days. I took the newer one completely apart and might just take pictures of it dissassembled.

MBF21Tomcat
01-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Just saw the picture of your old Sky Ski in your album. Definitely a Sky Ski. If it doesn't have wingtips someone must have cut them off and if they did that they may have spent some time tuning it. Would like to see some pictures of your new one too and some close ups of the old one. The T-bars should be identical and the wings if they are both cast foils.

I am really beginning to think that it is that my feet are just way too far forward. I am going to fix that first before anything else. The T-bars do look the same except one has an oval channel at the top where the two bolts go through and the other has a large U channel where the two bolts go through to the tower. So one I have to remove the bolts to slide the foil into the rock tower and the other I can just slide up (I hope I am remembering that right, it has been a while since I removed my old foil from the rock tower). Pictures will follow in the next couple of days.

Foiler
01-20-2009, 12:55 PM
How tall are you?

Hmmm, that sounds kinda weird about the oval hole. The cast pro's have a large U at the top, referred to as a fork top and the billet pros have 2 bolt holes that need the bolts removed to remove the foil.

MBF21Tomcat
01-20-2009, 06:13 PM
How tall are you?

Hmmm, that sounds kinda weird about the oval hole. The cast pro's have a large U at the top, referred to as a fork top and the billet pros have 2 bolt holes that need the bolts removed to remove the foil.

Now I really am curious as to what I have. I am 5'6" tall.

ChAirMan
01-20-2009, 11:38 PM
The only t-bar that came with an oval hole that I know is old AC.

Yes a picture is worth a thousand words

MBF21Tomcat
01-20-2009, 11:42 PM
The only t-bar that came with an oval hole that I know is old AC.

Yes a picture is worth a thousand words

I am starting to wonder if I have an AC foil with a sky ski board and shock tower on my new setup.

ChAirMan
01-20-2009, 11:49 PM
Does it have a 5/16 stud out the top or end if the T-bar?

Foiler
01-21-2009, 07:37 AM
I am starting to wonder if I have an AC foil with a sky ski board and shock tower on my new setup.

They would have really had to work it over to get it to fit into the shock tower. The air chair comes with a tapered top and you said your old foil had the flat front. The old, old air chairs had flat fronts with no wingtips. Sky SKi pro's have wingtips, the newer Air Chairs have wingtips but also have a curved front wing. The oval hole sounds really odd though.

MBF21Tomcat
01-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Here are the wings I was talking about...(Sorry for the camera phone shots, new camera battery was not charged)...

Older Wing Profile
http://www.foilforum.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=37&pictureid=441

Newer Wing Profile
http://www.foilforum.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=37&pictureid=436

Older Foil Non-Oval
http://www.foilforum.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=37&pictureid=438

Newer Foil Oval
http://www.foilforum.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=37&pictureid=433

Newer Foil T-Bar
http://www.foilforum.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=37&pictureid=434

Older Foil T-Bar
http://www.foilforum.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=37&pictureid=446

Older Rock Tower
http://www.foilforum.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=37&pictureid=447

Newer Shock Tower Base
http://www.foilforum.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=37&pictureid=448

Foiler
01-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Yikes, your "new one" doesn't look to good. Looks like an Air Chair T-bar but it is slightly different from what I had so not 100% sure. It is certainly not an improvement of your "old" set up. Ad to that the fact you said they sanded the coating off and it was really in bad shape, I wouldn't waste a dime on it especially the $300?? you said they wanted to smooth it out and polish it. It won't even be worth $300 for the foil assembly in perfect, polished condition. In my opinion the very best thing you could do is sell one complete hydrofoil and one of the t-bar and wing set ups and buy this B39 for $850

http://www.foilforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1293

It will be a million times better and you will possibly be able to sell one complete hydrofoil and the other assembly and cover most of it, maybe even save some when you factor in the money they wanted to charge to fix up your "new" t-bar. Honestly your new T-bar isn't worth putting money into. Put it on ebay at the beginning of summer and you will more than likely get more money than it is worth.

Foiler
01-24-2009, 08:29 PM
I am having a hard time figuring out your wings from those pictures. I had an Air Chair stealth and the top was slightly different from that one. Mine had a taper to it but I am pretty sure your "newer" T-bar is an old Air Chair T-bar that someone fit into the shock tower. I did look around on the net and found a picture of the older Air Chair and it looked just like yours. It almost looks like they drilled some extra holes for the bolts to go through and hold it in place. Your old T-bar (Cast Sky Ski Pro) is the better T-bar for sure and it will fit in your shock tower if you take the bolts and aluminum "pucks" out of your rock tower and install them into the shock tower. Of course then you will have to drill the extra holes into the rock tower for the through bolts if you want to install the Air Chair T-bar into the rock. Or really just sell the new ski completely. Someone (like yourself) will probably give a descent amount for it after seeing the shock tower. Unfortunately your old ski is the better of the two (still not sure about what wings you have) and will ride good once you shim it right or move your feet back (provided it doesn't have some odd ball wings on it). Were did you get your "new" Ski?? If you got it local, I might revisit the seller. Unfortunately you kinda have some mix matched stuff. I saw your old ad about someone wanting to charge $200-$300 to redo your new T-bar. Subtract that from the $850 B39 that I sent the link to and that would leave the total needed to $550 or $650 to have a B39 and you can easily get that out of all your extras on ebay if you decide to just keep one ski. I share my ski with my wife and all my friends. To me it is so much easier with only one ski. You only have to deal with one in the boat and we just leave it floating in the water and one person can get in the boat while the next person jumps in to ski. Of course when you start getting really advanced people start to have more preferences on their ski's but it usually isn't a big deal unless you and the people you share with are much much different in weight and height.

Jay
01-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Here are the wings I was talking about...(Sorry for the camera phone shots, new camera battery was not charged)...

Next time I'm up in PHX area I will meet up with you and put together a ski out of your parts. I would go with your new wing, old t-bar, old tower, and the better board. But before you sell anything let me take a look at what you have.

MBF21Tomcat
01-25-2009, 02:24 AM
Sounds good. I think I will try and practice polishing on the new parts as planned. Hopefully I can sell them both and get something halfway decent.

Smiley
01-25-2009, 10:10 AM
I share my ski with my wife and all my friends. To me it is so much easier with only one ski. You only have to deal with one in the boat and we just leave it floating in the water and one person can get in the boat while the next person jumps in to ski. Of course when you start getting really advanced people start to have more preferences on their ski's but it usually isn't a big deal unless you and the people you share with are much much different in weight and height.[/quote]

What a difference a couple of years make....I had the same thoughts:slaphead:. Now (theking) and I have two Comptech racks each on our boats. Just too many unique foils.

we just leave it floating in the water and one person can get in the boat while the next person jumps in to ski.

You got to step up and cut a slot in your swim grid. Makes it a breeze to change riders. You would not believe the look on my wife when I started cutting into my Brand New ProV-2. But once you belt on sitting on the swim grid you will never go back. Saves a ton energy too.

Foiler
01-25-2009, 10:39 AM
What a difference a couple of years make....I had the same thoughts:slaphead:. Now (theking) and I have two Comptech racks each on our boats. Just too many unique foils.

Yeah, I know what you are saying. Everyone wants to ride their own foil. I should have stated my local friends because none of them own a foil. My wife and I are the only foilers around here and we are about the same height and can ride with the same lift so for us having 2 different foils would just ad to the hassle. It was more in referance to 266CrownlineBr stating he was going to fix up his old ski in the picture above for his wife "who is also short". There is no question that Him and his wife will enjoy one better foil much better than the two foils pictured. Would you rather share one top of the line foil with all of your friends or all have your own powdercoated Air Chairs and cast Sky Ski's? :slaphead:

swayze
01-25-2009, 10:54 AM
You got to step up and cut a slot in your swim grid. Makes it a breeze to change riders. You would not believe the look on my wife when I started cutting into my Brand New ProV-2. But once you belt on sitting on the swim grid you will never go back. Saves a ton energy too.

I have seen people doing this method in the videos but I always wondered if you ae risking hitting the boat or ripping off a speedo pick-up. Is this a problem? What about scratching the hell out of the board. It would be a easier mehod of entry but I wouldn't want to cause my baby any harm!!!

TX Foilhead
01-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Getting strapped in on the platform is the only way to go, but a slot in your platform is scary:scared: It's too easy to get tipped over by rollers or just loose your balance. Then your foil is stuck and the outcome can't be good for your boat or your T Bar.

Neckbone's got the best set up I've seen with a skateboard truck and wheels so you roll off nice and effortlessly when your ready to go. Maybe he can post a picture of it.

theking
01-25-2009, 11:10 AM
I have seen people doing this method in the videos but I always wondered if you ae risking hitting the boat or ripping off a speedo pick-up. Is this a problem? What about scratching the hell out of the board. It would be a easier mehod of entry but I wouldn't want to cause my baby any harm!!!

there is a technique about how you slide back off the swim grid to make sure you don't say,"tip off or tip over" the edge of the swim grid. thus allowing the foil front wing to come into contact with the bottom of the boat or swim grid:slaphead:. (I speak from experience), So as long as you push off and lean forward at the same time, its not a problem. works really well. even though i have dinged the front wing on my old le 38, I still use the swim grid slot now, just more carefully:wink:,,,,, I hardly survived the beating I gave myself the first time:excited:

theking
01-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Neckbone's got the best set up I've seen with a skateboard truck and wheels so you roll off nice and effortlessly when your ready to go. Maybe he can post a picture of it.

I'd really like to see pics of that, we were just talking about something to make it more slippery. I think we just:hijacked:

Foil~N~Powell
01-25-2009, 11:21 AM
I'd really like to see pics of that, we were just talking about something to make it more slippery. I think we just:hijacked:
A small strip of teflon on the edge of the platform works well. Holds the ski on the platform due to the added hight at the edge and is slick as snot when it comes time to slide off.

swayze
01-27-2009, 05:41 PM
I think you guys should make me a training video!!