PDA

View Full Version : NEW lightweight AirChair board - video strength tests

Apotheosis
07-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Bob would like everyone to enjoy some video tests of strength for his new 6.5 pound boards. There's at least one more test to come!

Test #1
8kveoVL853g

Test #1 - closeup results
4nXq1cngxoI

Test #2
SJVcfw_1IXs

I've never seen this test done before, so show us if your board can survive this abuse too :excited:

Does this trump the Pry Bar test KO?

Suicidal-Element
07-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Comeon, Bust out the pry bar!!! haha. Strength seems awesome, but why didn't they drive up any further? And just to ask, not trying to knock it in any way, but isn't it blunt force that makes them break? Not a gradual pressure? I just thought there was a difference.

Love the creative testing!!!! Haha.

theking
07-29-2010, 01:27 PM
definately creative testing, to bad there isn't one test design that all boards could be put through to find a common strength-weakness criteria. pry bar on one and a truck on another,,tough comparison huh,, have to admit,,I wouldn't want to try that with mine for the heck of it :slaphead:,,,
fun stuff guys

BigBen
07-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Crazy! You would not be able to convince me that if it can put up with that that it won't last. I know what my next board will be...

Apotheosis
07-29-2010, 01:34 PM
I'll see if Bob can devise some creative blunt force testing. Any suggestions? I have d-nut hole strength test vids on the way.

Apotheosis
07-29-2010, 01:48 PM
D-nut test
D9ZSP-BEKQE

D-nut test - closeup
Y0Kkh6O6lTk

CwKoch
07-29-2010, 01:54 PM
Come on guys.... drive that truck all the way over the boards!!!

foilfreak
07-29-2010, 02:22 PM
That was fun. I'm saving those vids locally... some of those statements will be pure classics soon!!! And the concept remains, trying to make a lightweight strong ski is definitely a cool thing to see.

The real test is repetative, sharp stress... Also, you really need to put the top layer in compression and the bottom layer in tension to simulate the most common stresses, and since a lot of board breaks are top layer compression and bottom layer tension. The truck tire test pushed on the bottom skin and pulled on the top skin, since the tip of the board was pinned to the ground...fun to watch, but not the most realistic stress test. You really need a tower mounted to the board, and the tip of the board should be free to move.

Example: Put a seat tower on the board, and make the back of board completely stationary... use a hyrdaulic jack to push upward from the bottom of the board behind the footbeds until it snaps. That will give you an idea of max psi your board can take with a typical hydrofoil stress. Then the real test is to do a variation of that test in a repetative motion until you get cracks/extra flexing.

Also, whatever you do, don't buy the boards that he just tested!! I hope he was joking when he said he was going to sell them.. ugh...

KO1
07-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Does this trump the Pry Bar test KO?

Yep that's a hell of a test! I like it!!!

XtremeFoils
07-29-2010, 02:32 PM
I agree with Steele. Once again... 50+ frame front flips and front rolls - repetitively... from some fat guy... We need a strength test between that board and Steele's Carbon Green Monster! That would be an awesome showdown! Although it was a VERY cool video!!! I'll be happy to be his test dummy - I'm getting REALLY good at breaking every board I've ever ridden. :)

foilfreak
07-29-2010, 02:35 PM
We need a strength test between that board and Steele's Carbon Green Monster! That would be an awesome showdown!

I would go run it over with the 10000 pound Excursion!!!! But the Monster board is like a 10.5 pound board blank, so it really isn't fair. I don't have anymore light boards to go run over...

Jay
07-30-2010, 09:49 AM
at least he is still using stainless d-nuts. I broke one of the aluminum SS d-nuts and pulled them through my deck. I have gone to the Lewin mod and have not had any problems since.

It's cool to see AC working on making better equipment. Now if AC could build a light weight tower i could slide my 3/4" tbar into we might have something. I'm waiting patiently for a better tower than the EVO I'm on now. My SS Aluminum deck will break at some point too. Then I get to go board shopping. Maybe next year I will be 100% SkySki free. I can't wait. Did I mention I don't like Sky SKi? errr I mean Comptech Marine...

Foiler
07-30-2010, 10:55 AM
That was fun. I'm saving those vids locally... some of those statements will be pure classics soon!!! And the concept remains, trying to make a lightweight strong ski is definitely a cool thing to see.

The real test is repetative, sharp stress... Also, you really need to put the top layer in compression and the bottom layer in tension to simulate the most common stresses, and since a lot of board breaks are top layer compression and bottom layer tension. The truck tire test pushed on the bottom skin and pulled on the top skin, since the tip of the board was pinned to the ground...fun to watch, but not the most realistic stress test. You really need a tower mounted to the board, and the tip of the board should be free to move.

Example: Put a seat tower on the board, and make the back of board completely stationary... use a hyrdaulic jack to push upward from the bottom of the board behind the footbeds until it snaps. That will give you an idea of max psi your board can take with a typical hydrofoil stress. Then the real test is to do a variation of that test in a repetative motion until you get cracks/extra flexing.

Also, whatever you do, don't buy the boards that he just tested!! I hope he was joking when he said he was going to sell them.. ugh...

I agree with Foilfreak. Not sure that test really did prove anything but it was cool. I would like to see the same test done with 2 regular air chair boards, I wouldn't be surprised if they held up too and we know they can be broken by big air riders. Does that make me a Naysayer?? lol

foilfreak
07-30-2010, 11:23 AM
The truck wheel test did prove that you could go out and throw a MASSIVE tip-digging scorpion, and the board probably won't break on you.

I have only seen 1 person break a brand new board board with a MASSIVE tip-digging crash. This person is famously known as "The Destroyer" -- you don't get a knickname like that for free. Michael Schenk got his brand new lightweight Sky-Ski board and snapped it the first day by under-rotating a double backflip attempt. You can see it live on the Oze 2007 DVD. If only he would have had a new lightweight Air Chair board...

Mike
07-30-2010, 12:19 PM
made me think of this...

C_7Iy8Au1HU

XtremeFoils
08-08-2010, 07:29 PM
All,

I had the opportunity to play on one of these boards all weekend. I'm still sitting in disbelief that this board is holding up. I threw no less than 75 big fronts these past few days to abuse the heck out of this thing and I think it's just laughing at me. The board doesn't even seem real it is so light. I've ridden a 6lb board before for about 2 weeks before I snapped it (one of my own carbon fiber boards) - but didn't really have fronts back then (years ago). Luckily I'll have another 5 days of brutal punishment at the GA flyin this coming week. I guess we'll see in time, but this nay-sayer is starting to maybe change his mind. This could be a game-changer, boys and girls. Time will tell. But I can tell you this, a 6lb board is ALOT of fun!!!

More to come...
Shuey

foilingjunky
08-08-2010, 07:34 PM
All,

I had the opportunity to play on one of these boards all weekend. I'm still sitting in disbelief that this board is holding up. I threw no less than 75 big fronts these past few days to abuse the heck out of this thing and I think it's just laughing at me. The board doesn't even seem real it is so light. I've ridden a 6lb board before for about 2 weeks before I snapped it (one of my own carbon fiber boards) - but didn't really have fronts back then (years ago). Luckily I'll have another 5 days of brutal punishment at the GA flyin this coming week. I guess we'll see in time, but this nay-sayer is starting to maybe change his mind. This could be a game-changer, boys and girls. Time will tell. But I can tell you this, a 6lb board is ALOT of fun!!!

More to come...
Shuey

How about flex? Anything to report back good or bad with flex?

XtremeFoils
08-08-2010, 07:42 PM
I've been on a carbon fiber board for 4 years, so am VERY used to a board that absolutely does not flex. And to tell you the truth, I didn't notice any in this board either. I had NO issues adjusting other than I was way over-rotating everything. Weird thing was you could almost always stop the rotation and pull out of it with such a light board. I came from an 8.5/9 lb carbon fiber board (that I cracked last week) - and it was a HUGE difference in weight. I adjusted quickly, but it was VERY noticeable. I can't imagine the difference it will be for someone on an 11lb board.

Apotheosis
08-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Weird thing was you could almost always stop the rotation and pull out of it with such a light board.

= game-changer

Glad to see someone was curious.

FatBoy
08-08-2010, 08:53 PM
I can't imagine the difference it will be for someone on an 11lb board.

About 5 pounds. :>)

Paul_Queen
08-08-2010, 10:11 PM
When will it be available to the public and whats it going to cost?

Yeti
08-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Yes .....Pleas let us knowl

XtremeFoils
08-09-2010, 06:20 AM
I'm not sure what retail is going to be on these things so I don't want to comment. Bob and Jan are on vacation for 2 weeks - I'm guessing when he gets back they will be close to releasing production models - but that is just a guess. There is one cosmetic change they want to make. They tried something different on the board I have, but didn't like the results as much. He's talking about possibly removing another 1/2lb for the production models. So unfortunately I don't even know how much this is going to cost me but if it hold up I'm ordering more.

N2Orbit
08-09-2010, 07:06 AM
Shuey, I agree 100%! When I pulled my new AirChair board out of the shipping box! It felt so light, I was worried it would break or snap on the first jump! Now about 400 plus inverts latter, I think this new board might just be: THE REAL DEAL! Time will tell, but so for so good! I and everyone that has test rode my board, seemed really impressed with: THE NEW "LIGHTWEIGHT" AIRCHAIR board! Once you ride a board this light weight, you could never go back to the older heavy weights, we use to ride!

NEW "LIGHTWEIGHT" AIRCHAIR BOARD=GAME CHANGER

All,

More to come...
Shuey

shot
08-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Question: you are using 3/8 hardware on this board?

Could someone take a saw, split it and let us see what is inside?

XtremeFoils
08-09-2010, 08:16 AM
Shot,

You serious??? I finally have a LIGHT board that might hold up and you want me to cut it in half? I'll get right on that...:excited::excited::excited:

The outside appears to be fiberglass - at least the top layer. Inside is all different -it is not the expanding foam of yester-year. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but it's different. Hard to tell from the t-bar oval cutout.

and yes, I'm using 3/8" hardware on mine. I didn't want to snap any d-nuts and break the board from faulty hardware. Not sure that would happen, but I wasn't going to take a chance.

shot
08-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Cutting of a piece of the tail would not hurt that much. You could seal it easily.

XtremeFoils
08-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Yep, and when you get your brand spankin new AC Lightweight board, you can cut it and let us know what it is. :)

foilfreak
08-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Impressive so far. If it makes it through a lot of good sessions at the GA flyin without any issues, I would have lost money on this bet...for sure.

EricR
08-09-2010, 07:37 PM
About the price of a laptop! There goes the laptop I am saving for.

EricR
08-09-2010, 07:38 PM
When will it be available to the public and whats it going to cost?

About the price of a laptop! There goes the laptop I am saving for.

shot
08-11-2010, 02:46 PM
it could be EPS15 inside that is very light and cheap

(to enlighten it .... Bryan how about having some red beer. Then just hold the board or sit on it and Domenic may help with the saw.
I have been cutting 2 inch of from the nose off my AC board too and is works perfect.
Cutting of 1 inch from the tail and 1 inch from the nose will not hurt and makes it even lighter!
Than sand it down a bit all around and cover it with a nice looking CF top layer - done!
Don't forget to keep the two cut of pieces to analyze the inside and fabric layers of it. )

BTW: anyone tried a infusion method to make a board ?

grover
08-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Impressive so far. If it makes it through a lot of good sessions at the GA flyin without any issues, I would have lost money on this bet...for sure.

from 3/23/2010 -foilfreak=A 6 pound board blank...there will be a lot of them broken. If there is no change in the tower design or somehow making the tower a part of the board skins...this board will be a flexer/snapper. No question. There have been too many people down this path before -- all with the similar results.
grover=No... I believe this one will be as strong, if not stronger than the AC boards they make now, which btw are probably the strongest non OEM ski blanks.

Steele,
I should have taken you up on a bet :)

Skidude
08-12-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm still a sceptic...
Someone please send me a new AC board so I can confirm!

Apotheosis
08-12-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm still a sceptic...

Your loss:slaphead:

Call AC and see if they have anymore. No one's prying this board out of my dead fingers and ...:Boxing:

22-8
08-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Greg - did you purchase the one you have or just doing some testing for Bob? Curious on the price he charged if you purchased it. Just noticed a crack developing on the bottom of my board in front of the t-bar slot (been running Al mod for quite some time), so keeping a keen eye on this thread to see the end results and cost. Thanks!

Mike
08-12-2010, 01:12 PM
I'm still a sceptic...
Someone please send me a new AC board so I can confirm!

What is up with the Toxic boards? They sure looked cool.

Apotheosis
08-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Greg - did you purchase the one you have or just doing some testing for Bob?

Yes, we purchased it. However, I believe Bob requested we not disclose this number yet...

N2Orbit
08-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Greg - did you purchase the one you have or just doing some testing for Bob? Curious on the price he charged if you purchased it. Just noticed a crack developing on the bottom of my board in front of the t-bar slot (been running Al mod for quite some time), so keeping a keen eye on this thread to see the end results and cost. Thanks!

We had to drop allot of cash to get are dirty little hands on Bob's personal board, but it was so worth it!
Bob can discuss prices when he releases the production version of this 6 to 6.5 pound board in the very near future!
I sure hope someone nominates AirChair for the 2010 Innovator of Year, for this super lightweight board, they deserve it!

Jay
08-12-2010, 11:29 PM
If any one can break it do they win a prize? JK

Suicidal-Element
08-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Can someone suggest a graphics change to the board though!!!!!

Apotheosis
08-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Can someone suggest a graphics change to the board though!!!!!

Already did and it's not happening any time soon. To be honest from the boat the board doesn't look that bad at all (small price to pay for what the board lets you do). We're working on the capability to wrap full color vinyl graphics on boards. Our buddies vinyl printer needs a real expensive part to get back up running so that's the hold up right now.

Suicidal-Element
08-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Already did and it's not happening any time soon. To be honest from the boat the board doesn't look that bad at all (small price to pay for what the board lets you do). We're working on the capability to wrap full color vinyl graphics on boards. Our buddies vinyl printer needs a real expensive part to get back up running so that's the hold up right now.

A nice solid coat of gelcoat works well, if you want just a solid color.

Jay
08-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Krylon

Mike
08-13-2010, 11:49 AM
duct tape...

N2Orbit
08-13-2010, 07:44 PM
duct tape...

Do you mean, West Virgina Chrome? It will look good on anything!

Suicidal-Element
08-13-2010, 10:37 PM
Hear a rumor about a $1500 price tag?? True??

Mike
08-14-2010, 06:16 AM
Hear a rumor about a $1500 price tag?? True??

Oh great! That'll go over like a Fart in church...... I hope the price tag does not have a comma in it!

ChAirMan
08-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Remember your wife can only kill you once. :smile:
Choose Wisely Grass Hopper

Darkaniem
08-15-2010, 05:02 PM
All I can say is that the board did not make it through the weekend.....Broke during the Big Air comp. Took a hard Crash and snap. Right at the feet. Ask Xtreme for details......

GOTAIR
08-15-2010, 05:18 PM
All I can say is that the board did not make it through the weekend.....Broke during the Big Air comp. Took a hard Crash and snap. Right at the feet. Ask Xtreme for details......

Broke above the top of the feet. It was starting before the big air. The place the boards usually break is still SOLID, but I don't know if to much was taken out of the tip, which is a real easy fix, even if you add anothe half pound to pound to put some more strenght back in that are, a 7 pound deck that does not snap by the tower bolts will be the ticket.

I am sure Bryan will post on here. I didn't get a chance to ride it, but talked to a couple that got to ride the new deck and they loved it. I can say it was nice and easy to get on and off the boats!

foilfreak
08-15-2010, 08:29 PM
"These, without a doubt, are the strongest, lightest hydrofoil skis in the world... barring none."

Schumacher > a 9000 pound diesel truck!!! How does that make you feel??

TX Foilhead
08-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Dude, come on he's not that fat. lol

XtremeFoils
08-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Yea, I KNEW the fat jokes were really going to fly! Thanks for starting them already! ;)

Here's some pics of what happened. Granted this board lasted a week longer than I thought it was going to. Good news is it is actually still rideable, although I didn't ride it after it broke. And the other good news is there is still no stress fractures by the bolt holes/in front of the tower.

Bob is on vacation for another week I believe, but I'll be talking to him to find out if he can beef up the front section. Even if he has to add a pound, it is still an AMAZING board if we can get it to hold up. I LOVE this ride and the lightness of the setup - but if I can break it in a week and a half, there's still some work to be done. I don't know where people are getting the cost estimates of these boards that were posted earlier - I haven't heard a thing from Bob about cost yet.

So what did we learn? Fronts are way more brutal than people think. All in all, I probably threw another 50-75 at the flyin (total of 100-150 probably since I got the board) to punish this board. It finally caved on Saturday (I've had it for a week and a half). I could see the start of stress cracks on the side right in front of the bindings before it caved. It didn't take long after that to bend that section of the board upwards.

Here's the pics:

foilingjunky
08-15-2010, 09:19 PM
In all fairness, fronts come special assortments.
1. Under rotated spine compressors.
2. Pitched into the boat get into the rope wing dingers
3. Then there's the perfect ones. Love these.
4. Over-rotated Botox face lift ones.

To snap the very tip, are you throwing number fours only?

K-foiler
08-16-2010, 06:48 AM
I rode this board several times at the fly-in. I have one of Schumacher's carbon fiber boards so I'm used to a lighter board. The air chair board is even noticeably lighter than the cabon board. Seems to be the real deal, I watched Shuey put it through it's paces all weekend...even handled an over rotated front.

Hopefully, they can make some miner adjustment to the front and it will hold up. If so and the price isn't crazy they're going to sell a bunch of these things. noticeablynnoticeablyoticeably

Skidude
08-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Guess I'll remain a hopeful sceptic now. It is exciting to see this board out and riding, and hopefully dialed in soon.

I know that our original Toxic board has held up now for well over a year, and weighs in at 7.5 lbs. My new CF board is still holding, and the production model will be available soon. Mold has been made and the press is up an running. We will definitely have one at the TX fly in, and maybe we can do a side by side comparison to the new AC board, if we can get one there.

Exciting times right now!!!

Mike
08-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Sorry to hear about your board breaking Bryan. Maybe you got one of the boards that was ran over by the truck! LOL!

IMO - I actually think that the graphics look better in person than what I had originally thought...

I probably wasn't giving it a bashing like you could but this one seems to be holding up well! It does have a very light "feel" to it and is definitely a different experience..

bottom Graphic
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj12/mgolemb/AirChairBoard.jpg

XtremeFoils
08-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Update on the board. I received a call from Colin at AirChair today and we talked at length about the board and what happened. He was not surprised at all where the board broke and actually already had it in the works to fix that area, and will now concentrate on making that part of the board stronger. It sounds like they wanted to see if it was going to hold up - and now they know.

They are making a change in the layup schedule and will get another board pressed in the very near future for testing. It's amazing that through all of this I have yet to make a call to them - they have been on top of this process since day one calling and checking in on things looking for feedback. It's great to see that kind of customer appreciation and service!!!

I'll keep everyone posted on the next board when it arrives. It will probably be a few weeks though.