PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever modded the Evo G-10 seat plate?

Paul_Queen
11-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Im wondering if anyone has ever modded the stock evo g-10 seat plate by drilling holes in it or something to make it flex more? If so can you tell me where you drilled the holes, how many holes, how big a holes? If not I guess Im going to have to go with one of the more expensive carbon fiber mods ( need to know how to do that one too ). What about the thicker seat pad skyski sells ... anyone use that on an evo and does it make a difference?

EricR
11-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Do a search on it.... Many have cut holes. I ground down the middle which helped but went back to using the CF.

TX Foilhead
11-05-2010, 11:33 AM
The thicker seat pad adds a bit of softness, if you want to get fancy you can layer microcell foam of different hardness to make a softer seat. I haven't tried to cut g10, but I've heard it is very abrasive and dulls most tools pretty quick.

Mike
11-05-2010, 01:19 PM
I routed mine out. I set it up in a way that the routs were staggered from front to back. Although - I was routing it out and talking on the phone at the same time - not paying attention and routed on the wrong side of one of my lines..... It seemed to help a little and lasted almost a season this way. It ended up cracking front to back right where I put the 2 routs inline. You can see what I did in the pic below. I honestly think it would of lasted if I hadn't screwed it up though. I now run 1/8" carbon. It seems to help a little more but I am going to look into some other seat pad option over the winter. Thicker or custom...

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj12/mgolemb/IMG_0047.jpg

Mike
11-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Or you could eat a bunch of Donuts in hopes that you will get a huge fat ass to provide more cushion.... I think that sounds more funner......

Mike G for president!

Paul_Queen
11-05-2010, 01:44 PM
It sounds like cutting the G10 is very hard to do, and from what mg82 said...it has little effect. From your pic that is pretty much what I had wanted to do....but if you didnt get much of a result from it, then its starting to sound like changing out the g10 for carbon fiber is the way only real way to go.

So how is that done? I know nothing about carbon fiber....and not very handy. If anyone has extra carbon fiber from there mod Id be interested.....if you can cut it so its ready for me to use I would be even more interested ( like i said I suck at that kind of thing ). Willing to pay extra for a ready to use piece! If i have to do it myself ill probably screw it up and have wasted the money.

theking
11-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Or you could eat a bunch of Donuts in hopes that you will get a huge fat ass to provide more cushion.... I think that sounds more funner......

Mike G for president!

Tried that, didn't work!! :slaphead:

popeonarope
11-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Here are some notes I gathered up when doing my Evo Carbon Mod. They may be helpful to you. I love the mod and have had no problems with it. I also use the beefy rails.

* Plate: http://www.mcmaster.com. Search / find part number 86585k64. As far as cutting, a circular saw can be used. I didn't actually make the cuts, but people who have say it does not splinter like you think it would. One sheet makes three seat plates. You can go in with a few people to make it more cost effective.
* Glue: To put pad back on the seat. 3M Super 90 spray adhesive. You can find it at Home Depot. I actually used industrial velcro that I put on the seat plate and the bottom of the seat.
* Bushings: http://www.freestyleshop.com/cssh1310.html (http://www.freestyleshop.com/cssh1310.html)
* Screws: These are the longer screws needed to go through the new carbon plate AND bushing. For these I just took my original screws to Lowes and got longer ones. Not sure of the actual size, but that part was easy. I laid my old G10 plate over the carbon plate, matched the holes and drilled them out directly.

Pope

EricR
11-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Both the CF plates I am using were made by someone else. I just posted and bought when people were making.

Mike
11-05-2010, 09:52 PM
if you are just going to buy the carbon fiber anyways - then drill you some holes in that G10 and see what you think. If you scrap it - who cares. you might think it is good enough.

popeonarope
11-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Here are some images of the seat mod that I ride. It is a very common mod, nothing special. Works really well. There are four medium skateboard bushings on each side. I tried riding the mod without bushings for about a month. I found that when I landed on fronts the seatbelt swivel would tilt into me and jam into the sides of my butt and cause some nasty bruises. When I added the bushings that went away.

I used velcro instead of glue on the pad for several reasons. The main one being that my son and I share my ski and I change out seat pads to a very thin one when it is his turn to ride. Like most people, I had problems with the beefy rail bolts / c-clamps coming apart so I replaced them with nuts and bolts (ones with plastic that stay tight). Hope this helps.

Pope

foilfreak
11-07-2010, 10:22 AM
I've been using the hook/loop "velcro" on the carbon plate for the past year. It is definitely nicer than having it glued down -- you can rip the seat top off and get to the screws much easier to replace bushings, side-rails, if you need to... Experiment with different thickness seat tops, etc.

Paul_Queen
11-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks Pope for taking the pictures for me!! Ok I guess I need to order some carbon and bushings. Took my second ride on the stock evo yesterday and its really to hard for my back. Pope how many packages of those bushings do you need? It looks like one bushing is thicker then the other....do you use both or get 8 packs of bushings and just use the thick ones?

nobrainsd
11-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Paul,

You know you should stick with the shock tower and sell me the evo...

Paul_Queen
11-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Yeah Kelson.....you and Shawn both seem to want that. But I ordered the carbon fiber and bushings this morning and Im pretty sure that mod will make my back happy with the Skeleton Evo, I mean the design of it is sound....they just put in a plate that doesnt flex for crap. Ive already noticed that I get much better pop with the Evo then with the shock, and the Evo weighs in over 3 pounds lighter....so dont get your hopes up!

-Paul

nobrainsd
11-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Yo! That is so right. I think you are already getting more pop without the shock. Hope the mod works for you and the ride isn't too hard on your back.

But if you change your mind the heck with Shawn. I have cash.

Paul_Queen
11-08-2010, 12:19 AM
But if you change your mind the heck with Shawn. I have cash.

LOL.....well if you do decide to get your own.....Ill have enough Carbon Fiber left to make two more seat plates....and Id have too throw you the carbon for free after all the shirts you have given me.

popeonarope
11-08-2010, 07:32 AM
I actually went to a skateboard store in town and told the guy what I wanted to do. He brought out some demo bushings that a manufacturer sent him that no one liked. He said, here, take them all! It was just enough to do the mod.

You basically need 8 of the pyrimid looking bushings, the other half would be discarded. So if a box has 2 sets, I think you would need 4 boxes, if that makes sense.

Pope

Paul_Queen
11-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Why use the pointy bushings? I would think they would not give as much cushion....I was thinking of using the normal looking bushings and discarding the pointy ones. Is that wrong?

Yeti
11-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Velcro... thats a great idea.
I will be doing that as soon as I replace my foam pad.
I am useing thud buster bushing and like them alot

www.thudbuster.com

Paul_Queen
11-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Has anyone ever stacked two bushings on each corner? Better cushion that way? Or to much give?

Paul_Queen
11-10-2010, 06:07 PM
OK just got the Carbon Fiber and bushings.... the carbon fiber flexes great!! Where the G10 plate I could never do anything to it and see it flex at all. Plus I cut out and drilled out the carbon fiber without screwing it up. Now one last question......does anyone run this mod without the bushings at all? How much difference do the bushings make? I got the black dohdoh bushings that Pope recomended and they feel hard as a rock.....Im wondering if putting those in will really do anything at all???
-Paul

TX Foilhead
11-10-2010, 06:10 PM
I believe that the bushings are there to keep things from bottoming out, haven't done it myself, its on the to do list.

foilfreak
11-10-2010, 06:47 PM
I like the bushings because it gives the plate a chance to flex in both the X and Y axis.

Plus, I use softer bushings that I have to periodically replace, and my bushings sit inside of small bushing sockets so they don't slide and rip against the bolt threads as much.

theking
11-10-2010, 06:55 PM
LOL.....well if you do decide to get your own.....Ill have enough Carbon Fiber left to make two more seat plates....and Id have too throw you the carbon for free after all the shirts you have given me.

Hey Paul, you wanna sell me one of your extra CF Plates?

Mike
11-10-2010, 10:55 PM
I run without any bushings and a 1/8" cf plate. I never felt it bottom out but there is a small scuff on the bottom of the plate where it has. I weigh between 200-210 lbs.

popeonarope
11-11-2010, 04:21 AM
I think Brad at East Coast Hydrofoils runs the plate without bushings as well as many others. Like I was saying earlier, without the bushings, the very corners of the seat belt swivels jammed into the sides of my ass on front flips. Hurt like hell and left some nasty bruises. When I added the bushings, I didn't notice a softer feel, but it raised the seat enough to get my butt above the swivels and keep the above from happening.

Pope

foilfreak
11-11-2010, 07:21 AM
Plus, I don't like when Carbon and metal touch, because it causes corrosion over time.

Mike
11-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Here is a picture of how I ran it - I took my old G10 seat plate and ripped 1.5" off of each side - enough to fit on the entire rail - mounted it in between my Carbon plate and rail - no corrosion worries - added a little more clearance to keep from bottoming out. works great!

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj12/mgolemb/IMG_1181.jpg

N2Orbit
11-11-2010, 11:59 AM
I also mounted my CF plate with a spacer built from cut up pieces of G-10! The G-10 cuts very easily with a table or miter saw! Seems to work very well! I do bottom out some though! Next time I might build a thicker spacer out of aluminum or doulble up the G-10!

Here is a picture of how I ran it - I took my old G10 seat plate and ripped 1.5" off of each side - enough to fit on the entire rail - mounted it in between my Carbon plate and rail - no corrosion worries - added a little more clearance to keep from bottoming out. works great!

Mike
11-11-2010, 01:07 PM
I also mounted my CF plate with a spacer built from cut up pieces of G-10! The G-10 cuts very easily with a table or miter saw! Seems to work very well! I do bottom out some though! Next time I might build a thicker spacer out of aluminum or doulble up the G-10!

Don't forget to mention-
Your seat pad and plate have holes cut in them as well. Your seat flexes a lot more than mine does. It does feel nice and squishy but I was bottoming out all the time on it. I would probably be Awesome if it had a larger spacer like you said.

Paul_Queen
11-11-2010, 06:02 PM

That does look like the way to go MG. In my playing with it.....it felt to me like the hinges actually worked and moved allowing more flex when there was no bushings on it. With the bushings on the hinges dont seem to move as easily. I think having one solid flat piece connected to all the screw holes and hence the hinge allows the hinges to work more as they are designed too. So I think no bushings or the G10 mod of MGs is probably the best way to go. But I am going to try it both with and without buushings and see how it feels on my back....just cant do that till the weekend.

popeonarope
11-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Looks good, nice ideas guys. Let us know how they hold up and ride!

Pope

Paul_Queen
11-12-2010, 07:30 PM
So a couple of you say you have bottomed out with the carbon fiber.....thats actually good news to me bacause it means it flexes well when needed.....exactly what I need to happen to keep my back happy. Im wondering how big your going when it bottoms? Does it happen easily at 40 frames or so.....or do you really need to go huge to get it to bottom?

shot
11-15-2010, 02:56 AM
So a couple of you say you have bottomed out with the carbon fiber.....thats actually good news to me bacause it means it flexes well when needed.....exactly what I need to happen to keep my back happy. Im wondering how big your going when it bottoms? Does it happen easily at 40 frames or so.....or do you really need to go huge to get it to bottom?

It may mainly depend on your weight and landing style as well as on some other equipment factors.

I'm 188 lbs and it can start bottomed out around +45 frames but I can land proper at +50 without bottom it out (bushing mod) - hope this helps a bit.

I have broken the HD Rails twice now and the CF 1/8 plate too. So I went back to the G10 plate.
I will get some new Xtreme Evo Rails soon and went back to the CF Flex plate because my back likes it more.

nobrainsd
11-15-2010, 06:06 PM
As a new evo owner I would appreciate it if everyone could be a little more specific about where they are "bottoming out" and where their evo's have broken. I can see how a cf plate that isn't shaped like my g10 plate would flex more and likely contact the hinge at the circled point 1. The bushings and g10 shim mod would seem to help alleviate this. I presume that no one is actually bottoming out on the cross piece (circled point 2). That seems unlikely. I could sure see a fully flexed cf plate bearing against 1 and transfering all sorts of strain on the hinge. Which refers to my second question of where the hinge is failing for most people. On the fixed "arm" , the moving "body" or the pin assembly.

Has anyone shaped their cf plate like my g10 plate is relieved or has anyone beveled the point of the "arm" at contact point 1?

Enquiring minds want to know. Thank you.

AirJunky
11-15-2010, 06:33 PM

I chew a piece of gum, then stick it on the cross bar at 2. Then go ride. When I'm done, gum is squished flat, maybe 1/8" or 3/16" thick.

SS has seen several broken cross bars due to the CF mod. If you do the CF, I think you need the bushings too.

DarthFern
11-15-2010, 08:02 PM
My experience:
1) G-10 not modded- Bottom out at #2. Did end up breaking side plates on evo.
2) Carbon bolt (no bushing)- Bottom out at both #1 and #2. Saw no worse wear on the side plates.
3) Carbon mod w/ bushings- Bottom out at both #1 and #2. Best feel. No worse wear than I did with the G-10.
4) G-10 w/ bushings (BGA mod)- Bottom out at #2.

I am currently riding #4 and while I think about it, BGA has me riding with a Shred Ready helmet, 'Mandle' handle and now a G-10 bushing mod?!?! What next? ;)

Stuff breaks but the idea I disagree with the hypothesis that the carbon mod causes more breaks than the G-10.

nobrainsd
11-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Well, Obvously I'm not going big enough yet!

I appreciate the information provided. I'm going to attach my seat pad with velcro so I can swap out the G10 and cf plates easily. Looking forward to trying the various mods described and will definitely keep an eye on the hardware for wear or breakage as I progress.

AirJunky
11-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Stuff breaks but the idea I disagree with the hypothesis that the carbon mod causes more breaks than the G-10.
Only reason I would suspect it is that a single piece of 1/8" CF flexes more than the G10..... which makes it easier to bottom out at #2.
I think that a lot of people believe that if they can't push on the seat & see it flex, then their not getting enough flex. Then they go out & ride & can't see how much it flexes on a big landing. The rubber band or a zip tie on the shock allows a guy to see how much shock travel their getting on a ride. But there is not a mechanism like that on the Evo. Try the chewing gum method & see if you are touching.

Considering how much travel I get out of the Evo, it doesn't surprise me in the least that a rider like you are getting full travel out of the G10.....

Paul_Queen
12-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Ok.....here are my findings. 1. The carbon fiber seat plate is the bomb! Makes it give a nice flex and soft landing. 2. The bushings take away from that soft landing....it lands much harder on my back with the bushings on, So Im running it no bushings just the carbon fiber plate right on the hinges. 3. Some of you had said that the thick seat pad made a huge difference in how nice it lands. I was skeptical that that could be true. But just a little softer then what i was getting with the carbon fiber would make it really nice so I bought a thick seat pad to try it. Wow! It does make a huge difference! That thing lands so nice now.....my back feels totally fine, in fact I think that landings are now BETTER then they were with the shock tower. Thanks to all for there help in getting me dialed in on the Evo! P.S. I landed 13 gainers today on the new setup, a personal best! The more solid take off you get with the Evo has definitely helped.
-Paul

Freddy88
12-05-2010, 02:26 AM
Pqueen, thank you for sharing your experience.
It's great to hear that you found out what suit your back better.
I wish I'll find that out too… but I need some testing.

I don't know how much frames you hit, but how are going to deal with "bottoming out"?

I'm only 130 pounds but it occurred to me several times to bottom the CF plate when I was riding it without bushings.
That's why I did the bushing mod but now that you suggested that it flex better without bushings I'm going to try it like that. In fact I'm going to ride today and I hope I will notice this improvement. I'll let you know.

I was considering to try the mod of mg 82 where he took his old G10 seat plate and ripped 1.5" off of each side (see page 4.). This seems to be a good deal to avoid bottoming.

Won't you try this option Pqueen? Do you think it reduce the flex?

Regards,

Federico

Paul_Queen
12-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Hey Freddy.....I dont think Im bottoming out with the carbon plate ( I dont see any marks on the bottom of the plate ), so right now Im fine with how it is. If I do notice that its bottoming then I will put in the G10 pieces on each side like mg82 did....I think thats probably the best way to keep the hinges working right and still add a little clearance. In fact Ive already ripped the G10 plate and have those two edge pieces ready to go....but as long as its not bottoming then Im not putting them on. I think my biggest jumps are low 40's in frames....and my gainers are mid 30's.....so maybe thats not going big enough to have bottoming issues. Something else to keep in mind....if you were able to bottom the carbon plate.....that means that its working RIGHT and the hinges are moving and the plate is flexing and its doing what you want it to do to help absorb that impact on landing. I have another question for you....if your able to bottom it does it matter? I mean Im betting you would have to really slam bottom it out to do any damage to those cross braces....they look pretty strong. Definetly try it without the bushings....it makes a big difference. Also Id recomend getting that thick seat pad from skyski....I was really surprised at how much softer it lands with that thicker seat pad.
-Paul

EricR
12-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Never thought of checking but now that I have my tower apart... Mine is bottoming out.

Paul_Queen
12-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Never thought of checking but now that I have my tower apart... Mine is bottoming out.

Were you running with or without bushings?

Freddy88
12-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Pqueen, unfortunately it was snowing to much last weekend so at the end we went not on the lake. If sun is gonna shine on sunday we'll definitely going to have a ride and I will try the Evo without bushings.
To answer your question about bottoming: I don't know if that's a real problem unless you jump really high (weight of the rider is also a relevant factor IMHO).
When I was riding the Evo without bushing I once broke a CF plate (and I'm only 130 pounds and I didn't jump very high). I don't know if bottoming it out was one of the reasons. I just know I did bottom it our several times and I could see a red line on the bottom of the plate.
As I told you in the last message I think that the mg82 mod could be the way to go.
Maybe that adds even some more travel to the plate… what do you think?
It's interesting that you felt so good riding the extra seat pad. I used it once but I didn't like it very much because of the added height. I'm not a tall person and I felt like the legs where kinda stretched to much. I could consider trying it again though.

Luckily the doctors who examined by back last week told me that the situation if far better than what the first doctor told me. I have to do some exercises at home everyday to put more muscles in the low back…but otherwise I can do practically every sports.
I showed them some hydrofoiling videos and they all agreed that those landings are NOT good for any back, and they are convinced that every person who practice this sport could suffer from back pain when they'll be older. Of course nose landings and proper technique can help to avoid those bad shocks…but we all know that bad landings do occur…and they can be painful.

I'm still waiting to compare the Shock tower and the Evo and to be honest I still have no idea which one will become my new girlfriend.
Considering that I'm not a heavy guy… I think that the ST could be the way to go… I don't know.
I always asked myself if there's an advantage being a light person in hydrofoiling.
I'm only 130 pounds and I'm wondering the strength that a 200 guy needs to jump my same height. Maybe I'm just wrong…but that's a interesting question. Does the weight of a person really matter, if the strength remains the same?

Have a nice day!

Federico

Freddy88
12-20-2010, 09:34 AM
Does someone has an idea about my previous question?

Does the weight of the rider itself change the height potential?

EricR
12-20-2010, 09:45 AM
Were you running with or without bushings?

No bushings.... You want to cut me some pieces off of your left over G plate?

Freddy88
12-21-2010, 01:34 AM
I post my question about the weight in a new thread since it has nothing to do with the G-10 mod.