PDA

View Full Version : my first ride with XXX/UFO/Fuse 39

gorilla
03-06-2011, 09:00 PM
I just want to first say thanks to Kerry and Linda for the call inviting me down to go for a ride today. Water was DAMN cold (probably < 40F) and air temps were around 50F. Here's my setup: Alum top board, Rock tower, full Cinch setup, Fuse 39, XXX, UFO. great combo in my newbie opinion. I am running Big Jay's shim/wheelbase setup and I think it's gonna work very nicely for me when the water warms up. I am @ 10 3/4 wheel base and -.75deg shim, this worked well for my maiden voyage with the new t-bar/wings. first pull, rides very nice and seems to have similar lift as my LEX/Mach 2.5/UFO old setup. after a few hard cuts, I can tell you one thing, the Fuse cuts through the wake/prop-chop very smoothly. so, started to make a few jumps. I LOVE the extra t-bar length, more time to load up the front wing and more time to gain re-flight on the landings. very minimal board slap (which is very nice when you have that cold of water splashing up in your face). I finally get my timing down and I loaded up a nice jump, probably one of my highest ever. all I can say is WOW. the new technology out there (all of the current wing and t-bar setups) is so much fun to ride. VERY powerful!!! the cold ass water was too much for all 3 of us and I only made it about 20 minutes before I threw in the towel. but, to say the least, I am very happy with my new setup and glad I made the "jump" to a longer assembly.

PillHill
03-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Don't know if this was the jump that was the highest ever or not. Highest one we've got a picture of though.

We were also out trying out new gear - our new viper rear wing. I'm a fan even though the water was so cold it was hard to really push it. Anybody know of a good glue to bond latex together? I want to glue feet into my drysuit!!! To many leaks just layering.

Thanks for the good time Gorilla.

gorilla
03-06-2011, 09:45 PM
nope, the "big" jump was going towards the dam, "your" shore line was on the left. Linda didn't have the camera up. don't think either of you really saw that one, you 2 were chatting when I landed it. no biggie, the one you posted is still a nice one, but not the one where it truely scared me. this one is probably close to my 2nd biggest though. the new setup was reacting very nicely even though the cold water was jacking things up. thanks again for the invite and hospitality. glad I finally got to meet Linda, love her!!! see ya soon.

Brian

oh, Kerry look up TX Foilhead (Don), he's the one that did all the work to my drysuit before he shipped it to me.

N2Orbit
03-06-2011, 10:07 PM
THANK YOU, Glad to hear your happy with your new setup! Just wait until the water starts to warm up, the jumps will get bigger and bigger yet.

I predict Big inverts and a new board in your future!

I just want to first say thanks to Kerry and Linda for the call inviting me down to go for a ride today. Water was DAMN cold (probably < 40F) and air temps were around 50F. Here's my setup: Alum top board, Rock tower, full Cinch setup, Fuse 39, XXX, UFO. great combo in my newbie opinion. I am running Big Jay's shim/wheelbase setup and I think it's gonna work very nicely for me when the water warms up. I am @ 10 3/4 wheel base and -.75deg shim, this worked well for my maiden voyage with the new t-bar/wings. first pull, rides very nice and seems to have similar lift as my LEX/Mach 2.5/UFO old setup. after a few hard cuts, I can tell you one thing, the Fuse cuts through the wake/prop-chop very smoothly. so, started to make a few jumps. I LOVE the extra t-bar length, more time to load up the front wing and more time to gain re-flight on the landings. very minimal board slap (which is very nice when you have that cold of water splashing up in your face). I finally get my timing down and I loaded up a nice jump, probably one of my highest ever. all I can say is WOW. the new technology out there (all of the current wing and t-bar setups) is so much fun to ride. VERY powerful!!! the cold ass water was too much for all 3 of us and I only made it about 20 minutes before I threw in the towel. but, to say the least, I am very happy with my new setup and glad I made the "jump" to a longer assembly.

TX Foilhead
03-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Sweet, glad the suit worked. On that suit I used some iron on glue from Dive Rite In (http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/adhesive-drysuit-tape-p-2696.html), I also sealed the inside with a ring of Aqua Seal (http://www.mcnett.com/Aquaseal-Urethane-Repair-Adhesive-Sealant-P234.aspx) to keep the edges from lifting when you put the suit on. Originally there were neoprene seals that went about half way up my calf so the mounting seam was in the right place for boots.

On the suit that I am using I had to mount the boots to the outside of the legs and the tape would not hold so I had to glue them on with the Aqua Seal. They seem to be holding on just fine, but I have a piece of fabric trim that wicks a little water into the boots. It's not a big deal, I'll spend a little time on it in the Fall to see if I can seal that up some how.

EricR
03-07-2011, 08:37 AM
http://www.ossystems.com/maintenanceandrepair/repr.htm My leg seals were coming off and I used this with great results..... Greenworks (the destroyer) also used it when he was in Parker to fix a large whole he created in his dry suit.

theking
03-07-2011, 09:05 AM
http://www.ossystems.com/maintenanceandrepair/repr.htm..... Greenworks (the destroyer) also used it when he was in Parker to fix a large whole he created in his dry suit.

and it leaked,:laughing:,,,

TX Foilhead
03-07-2011, 09:07 AM
I will add this from experience, when you hear someone say heat the seals to remove, use an iron, a hair dryer won't do it. Also if your looking for a cheap mandrel to hold the area open, something solid works best, I did manage to get some seals to work with some rubber pipe fittings I got at the hardware store, but it was much easier when I had something solid like a can or a piece of PVC to work against.

Once you get past the first one, you'll wonder why anyone would send them in pay to have them fixed, it's a quick and easy DIY.

lakelife7
03-07-2011, 11:11 AM
I will be getting my xxx/fuse 39/ufo combo soon...hopefully get a ride or 2 in before Havasu fly-in. This is going to be a huge leap from my pro ss. I cant wait to be riding a top notch set up.

PillHill
03-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Some time this summer I would like to try out your new setup! Always nice to try out new and different and see if you can feel a difference.

You're welcome back anytime!

gorilla
03-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Some time this summer I would like to try out your new setup! Always nice to try out new and different and see if you can feel a difference.

You're welcome back anytime!

you are welcome to try my foil anytime.

Paul_Queen
03-08-2011, 02:27 AM
I ride the same foil and wings....its a sweet setup isnt it? I have the wings closer together for quickness though....second shortest insert setting, about 10 inch wheelbase.....but I might start trying it a little wider and see if I like it. It does go big when you load the line. I rode Saturday and for some reason I seemed to be "hooking up" and loading the line alot better then I normally do. I had a have dozen wake and air jumps that loaded so hard it pulled the rope out of my hands and I landed with one hand or lost the rope entirely. But they went freaking huge even loosing the rope! Now I have another thing to think about .....hold on to the dam handle tighter. Cant wait for summer again....when the waters warm and you release so easy.

gorilla
03-08-2011, 07:48 AM
I ride the same foil and wings....its a sweet setup isnt it? I have the wings closer together for quickness though....second shortest insert setting, about 10 inch wheelbase.....but I might start trying it a little wider and see if I like it.

yup, love it so far. warmer water is really gonna allow me to push it more (won't freeze so damn bad when I crash). I am gonna shorten the wheelbase a bit next ride out to where everyone else recommends (10.5) and see how it rides then. can't wait.

N2Orbit
03-08-2011, 03:11 PM
At the wider 10.5" wheelbase you will need to use more body English to get the foil to exit steep enough on takeoffs. With proper technique during takeoff the rear wing adjusted further back will offer you more air due to the increased leverage advantage.

yup, love it so far. warmer water is really gonna allow me to push it more (won't freeze so damn bad when I crash). I am gonna shorten the wheelbase a bit next ride out to where everyone else recommends (10.5) and see how it rides then. can't wait.

NOTS
03-08-2011, 07:34 PM
cold water ... but it was butter!!!! good feedback Gorilla. I was riding a 9 3/4" wheel base in Parker (I believe) with a -2.25 shim on SS wings (max air & bat). thinking of either going to XXX/UFO or Raptor/Viper condo.

PillHill
03-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Talk about butter! This was the day before, on Saturday. It was the earliest we've ever been out...but we couldn't resist!

gorilla
03-08-2011, 10:25 PM
cold water ... but it was butter!!!! good feedback Gorilla. I was riding a 9 3/4" wheel base in Parker (I believe) with a -2.25 shim on SS wings (max air & bat). thinking of either going to XXX/UFO or Raptor/Viper condo.

from what I've read, you can't go wrong with either combo. even in cold water, this thing rode great. was very happy with it for it's maiden voyage. hopefully I'll get another chance to ride it before Havasu and see if it needs any tweaking before then.

Paul_Queen
03-09-2011, 01:10 AM

I had a LEX before this setup and was used to it being really quick..when I switched to the full N2O setup I started about midway and it was way to slow....then I moved it closer and closer till I was at the fastest position and I even thought that wasnt quite quick enough for me. But after a while you get re-adjust and I was fine with it. Then after a few months at quickest I moved it out one more so its now second quickest and that has worked well. When the water warms up a little I may move it out to the third setting and see how I like that. All that said.....my advice is not to lock it into one position for the day. Try it at 10.5 for a run or two and then try it at the fastest....see which works better for you...I found it easiest to adjust to the fastest and slowly move it out as you get comfortable with it.
But Marty is absolutly right ( he always is )....the wider it is the more leverage and air you can get. I rotate slow so I need the quickness in changing direction for inverts......but maybe with wider setting I would get more air which would give me more time to rotate? I dont know....but I do like the quicker settings....and with skill and the long tbar and awsome wings you still go big. N2O really makes great stuff. I dont think Marty gets enough appreciation for everything he does for us...the guy really puts a ton of time and thought into his designs. I hope he enjoys doing it for all of us as much as we enjoy the equipment...because Marty and Shouey are really the only two out there that continue to inovate and drive new foil and wing designs. You dont see Skyski or Airchair coming out with anything new below the board.

Jay
03-09-2011, 08:18 AM
I had a LEX before this setup and was used to it being really quick..when I switched to the full N2O setup I started about midway and it was way to slow....then I moved it closer and closer till I was at the fastest position and I even thought that wasnt quite quick enough for me. But after a while you get re-adjust and I was fine with it. Then after a few months at quickest I moved it out one more so its now second quickest and that has worked well. When the water warms up a little I may move it out to the third setting and see how I like that. All that said.....my advice is not to lock it into one position for the day. Try it at 10.5 for a run or two and then try it at the fastest....see which works better for you...I found it easiest to adjust to the fastest and slowly move it out as you get comfortable with it.
But Marty is absolutly right ( he always is )....the wider it is the more leverage and air you can get. I rotate slow so I need the quickness in changing direction for inverts......but maybe with wider setting I would get more air which would give me more time to rotate? I dont know....but I do like the quicker settings....and with skill and the long tbar and awsome wings you still go big. N2O really makes great stuff. I dont think Marty gets enough appreciation for everything he does for us...the guy really puts a ton of time and thought into his designs. I hope he enjoys doing it for all of us as much as we enjoy the equipment...because Marty and Shouey are really the only two out there that continue to inovate and drive new foil and wing designs. You dont see Skyski or Airchair coming out with anything new below the board.You need to come to the Havasu fly-in. I'm not sure what your hold up is. :wink: It's a great time with the west coast crew.

Paul_Queen
03-10-2011, 01:43 AM
You need to come to the Havasu fly-in. I'm not sure what your hold up is. :wink: It's a great time with the west coast crew.

Jay...I am seriously considering coming this year. We may be going on a cruise the week before...if that happens I wont be able to come....but if we dont work that out in time ( passports may be an issue to get in time ) I will probably come. Ive already talked with John Acosta and some of the Canyon Lake crew about going.

-Paul

lakelife7
03-24-2011, 10:44 AM
I just received my fuse/xxx/ufo set up. Cant wait to get on the lake! I now have a new dilema, after upgrading my foil assm, I have to now figure out how to convince my wife that another 1900.00 is needed for an evo tower and lightwieght ac board...it may take me a while.

TX Foilhead
03-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Better make that figure $2500, you forgot the anno job, new cover, and some seat tower mods.

EricR
03-24-2011, 11:23 AM
I just received my fuse/xxx/ufo set up. Cant wait to get on the lake! I now have a new dilema, after upgrading my foil assm, I have to now figure out how to convince my wife that another 1900.00 is needed for an evo tower and lightwieght ac board...it may take me a while.

Tell her you can't put a price on your happiness!

Mike
03-24-2011, 02:27 PM
I usually just ask for forgiveness after the fact....

PillHill
03-24-2011, 03:32 PM
A wise man once said, "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."

Paul_Queen
03-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Just pay all the bills yourself and she will never know that your spending money....unless the checks start bouncing.
I.E. Ignorance is Bliss ???

Bug Dude
03-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Just but everything and by time she finds out it will be too late. Tell her you cant return anything. You'll only have to sleep on the couch for a week or two and it will be worth every night come summer!

Timski
03-24-2011, 08:32 PM
My wife told me sure on getting a new foil setup, " you work hard for your money". What a great wife after 17 years of marriage. Now the kids were a different story. One of them said to me, "Your spending my college fund DAD"! :laughing:
I know college is going to cost much more than that son!:rolleyes:

FatBoy
03-25-2011, 06:34 AM
My wife told me sure on getting a new foil setup, " you work hard for your money". What a great wife after 17 years of marriage. Now the kids were a different story. One of them said to me, "Your spending my college fund DAD"! :laughing:
I know college is going to cost much more than that son!:rolleyes:

Yes it does.

gorilla
04-17-2011, 10:12 PM
just another update. wifey rode it today and she did better than ever. water was @ 40F and air @ 57F. she's just figuring out how to fly consistently in all areas behind the boat and was able to fly mid strut through both wakes in both directions and not lose flight at all. she really likes it.

I landed my 2nd ever gainer and it was so easy. was it the t-bar/wings or just more seat time??? I really don't care what it was, just glad I made another gainer and this one felt EASY. everyone in the boat said it looked effortless and smooth. I was a happy man and got out of the water right afterwards, had to end on a good note. can't wait to try it out in Havasu in 3 days!!!!!