PDA

View Full Version : Does this look right?

Bug Dude
03-12-2011, 11:10 PM
I just recently got a launch strut and my question is about the section near the top that has a smaller width than the rest of the strut. My pro strut is the same widnt the whole length of the strut and this one does not. Do I have the correct strut or did I maybe get the wrong one? Also if this is the way they are fabricated does it require a 3rd bolt assembly that goes in the 3rd hole I normally never used on the seat frame to secure the strut?
Thanks

Paul_Queen
03-13-2011, 01:09 AM
Im not an expert on B39 / Launch foils........but Im guessing that you bought it used, and that the previous owner modified it so that it would fit into an evo tower. It looks like the cut that the template demonstrates to mod the top of a tbar to fit in the Evo tower. Id say not only are you fine....but you have a tbar that can go into an Evo if you upgrade to that tower later.......which is cool.

TX Foilhead
03-13-2011, 06:42 AM
That's for the EVO, I've never seen the top of one since they made the EVO, but it makes since after I though about it for a second. If you look at it from where it is on the bottom holes it's in the right place, it isn't supposed to touch the the back brace on the EVO.

There isn't enough metal on the trailing edge to run the third bolt on any of the 2 piece tbars, even before the EVO notch that's why they have the board plug. If you put a little liquid soap on the top of the tbar it will slide right through the plug, or you can take it out.

YJim
03-13-2011, 08:54 AM
They come stock from Skyski notched for the Evo.

Bug Dude
03-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Ok thanks guys, It did come from Skysky, So I guess im ok, just keep the board plug in and all is well.

Thanks again

steepcreeker
03-13-2011, 05:27 PM
My stock B39 looks just like that as well.

M

Foiler
03-14-2011, 06:09 AM
Ok thanks guys, It did come from Skysky, So I guess im ok, just keep the board plug in and all is well.

Thanks again

I take my ski apart every time that I am done riding and when I had a B39 that plug made it much more difficult. I removed the plug and didn't notice anything negative.

OLDGUY46
03-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Whats the purpose of the plug?

TX Foilhead
03-15-2011, 07:34 PM
My thoughts on the plug are that it holds the foil steady and keeps it from contacting the board. If you were to break the bottom bolt with no plug in there would be nothing but the clamping pressure from the top bolt to keep everything from falling to the bottom. The old cast tbars and the higher end one piece foils have lots of flat surface for the seat tower to contact that the 2 piece foils do not. That's why I leave mine in usually, it seems like it gets easier to remove the more you do it so to me it's not that big of a deal.

XtremeFoils
03-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Actually the plug serves a special purpose. It keeps the water from entering the board hole and therefore causing turbulence and causing board-lock. So yes, you want the hole between the board and the t-bar filled to help cut down on board lock (where the board sticks to the water and it takes a huge amount of lean to get it to regain flight.)

TX Foilhead
03-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Damn, that's why you're the rocket scientist. I don't remember mine sticking to the water, are you sure it wasn't just the winglets doing that, or maybe a bit of ice in the water up there in Southern Siberia.

theking
03-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Damn, that's why you're the rocket scientist. I don't remember mine sticking to the water, are you sure it wasn't just the winglets doing that, or maybe a bit of ice in the water up there in Southern Siberia.

???? hey!!! Looky who's blaming the wings now??? :Boxing:,,,, you wouldn't let me?? :slaphead:

TX Foilhead
03-15-2011, 11:05 PM
Look here, I'm just trying to be helpful and to remind him that his lake is still frozen and now you have to turn this into some kind of International incident.

NOTS
03-15-2011, 11:14 PM
that's correct. The cut out area you are referring to at the top of the tbar has been so that the tbar will actually fit into the Evo. If the cutout wasn't there and you had an Evo tower ... it would fit. when i had mine I ran it with (2) bolts and it worked fine. I actually used the very top bolt hole/slot and whichever of the lower bolt holes that lined up with it. so bascially I ran it with only one 'complete' bolt hole and never had an issues.

theking
03-16-2011, 12:12 AM
look here, i'm just trying to be helpful and to remind him that his lake is still frozen and now you have to turn this into some kind of international incident.

lmao,,, guess he shoulda put some ice breakers on those wings instead of them fortex thingy's,, he'd had lotsa customers in alberta buying them!!!

XtremeFoils
03-16-2011, 08:47 AM
Txfoilhead,

I've invented a small nuclear reactor capable of melting the ice directly in front of the wings. Unfortunately you have to place the reactor between your knees when you are riding. I'm pretty sure it doesn't leak radiation, but I'm still looking for someone to test. You in?

Have fun out there!
Shu

TX Foilhead
03-16-2011, 09:36 AM
Wow, that's really tempting, and I'm sure it would be safe assuming it wasn't built in your carbon lab.

I really don't think sending it south though would get you the test results your looking for since our water rarely gets below 50. Now if you were to build something that was useful and had a spot to put some oil in for some reason I'm sure that would go a long way with securing our Lucas Oil sponsorship deal. Maybe you should try to drag out that old powered ski rope idea and start a foilercross series or something like that.