PDA

View Full Version : Max-Air with winglets

skyskiguy
09-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Anyone ridden a Max-Air with winglets?

AirJunky
09-04-2011, 02:04 AM
Unless someone modified a MaxAir, I don't think SS ever made one with winglets.

Rode a new version of the MaxAir this week at Shasta though...... still in R&D for the moment. But of the 4 or 5 of us that rode it, we all liked it. Handled very much like the old MaxAir, but was like 5% larger, great lift, more pop, skidded easily. I heard today SS will make a handful of them & send them out to the team riders for more input.

ncskysier
09-04-2011, 06:24 AM
Yes, Sky Ski makes a Max Air with winglets. We have one and a friend of ours has one. Great riding ski and very stable to ride. Most people that ride our ski are hesitant and think it won't ride well but they all like it. It's just not "slick or fast" and that is what we want. Great pop and stability, I have a Foiltech with upward winglets and prefer they MaxAir with Winglets. You can call Jake at Sky SKi and talk to him about it, They don't stock them but can make them. Steven B

wakeforce
09-04-2011, 08:29 AM
pic's please!

yes, sky ski makes a max air with winglets. We have one and a friend of ours has one. Great riding ski and very stable to ride. Most people that ride our ski are hesitant and think it won't ride well but they all like it. It's just not "slick or fast" and that is what we want. Great pop and stability, i have a foiltech with upward winglets and prefer they maxair with winglets. You can call jake at sky ski and talk to him about it, they don't stock them but can make them. Steven b

skyskiguy
09-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Why do I ask? - you might wonder. I'm getting some glitching from my LE lately. Out in the flats, cutting hard, just before throwing a gainer it will glitch and loose lift - not complete loss but enough to foul me up. I'm thinking it might be caused by the thin wing tips of the Max-Air flexing under the load. Wondering about having Jake bend winglets to make it more rigid. I always loved my old LEX (with winglets) - got more "suck down" back then but not the glitch. Anyone else had this issue or am I alone and way off base?

I kind of miss the winglets. I'm riding an LE bat rear with the leading edge modified to more closely match the shape of the Max-Air. This mod greatly reduced the size of the winglets, but I like the feel better than the Fling. The small, rear winglets provide just a bit more tracking stability.

Bill, what's the profile of the new SS wing like - any thicker at the tips? The other big air wings tend to have a thicker profile at the tips and I've wondered if SS would ultimately move in that direction. I'll call Jake.

John.

AirJunky
09-04-2011, 10:52 PM
I had to ask Jake about the MaxAir with the winglets. He said it's a special order kind of thing & has only been done a few times.

FYI, the terms LE & LEX are referring to the t-bar &/or the entire ski assembly. Typically LE & LEXs were sold with B-flat, Bat, Razorback, & MaxAir front wings. With the old Bat front wings we used to grind the leading edges of the winglet corners way back due to glitching problems, that we typically saw in colder water temps... like under about 60 or 55 degrees.

As for the new R&D wing, it's very much shaped like the MaxAir, but bigger, mostly about 1" wider, leading edge is wider too. Flies very much like the MaxAir, but cleaned up way faster, more pop, easier to skid, etc. Landings seemed a bit harsher, but not bad.

skyskiguy
09-05-2011, 09:23 AM
My last LEX ST was one of the old fork tops with the flat front wing and bat rear. I had an original LEX ST prior to that with both flat wings. I did tune the leading edges of the last one, as you mentioned, to make the bottom edges of the winglets flat. I didn't have any glitching after that. So, back to my current issue - are the thin wingtips of the Max-Air flexing to cause the glitching and would adding winglets minimize or eliminate that? Any thoughts?

TX Foilhead
09-05-2011, 09:37 AM
A glitch is a shake caused by the tbar ventilating, getting air on one side. Suckdown or loss of flight is wing related, usually caused by air getting trapped on the wing. If your just loosing lift slowly and not violently enough to cause a board slap, I would say it's probably the lake turning a bit. We seem to run into this every year at False River in spots and I'm currently dealing with it in my home lake. In my lake it is caused by the lakes above us generating and it happens as we move along the river where the water is changing from hot to cooler 91 to 83. Good thing about it is it stays in a certain spot so if you just move on then everything works fine once your out of it. I have never heard of a any wing change or tuning that will fix it. Glitches and suckdown can be fixed or at least minimized, but if you haven't changed any of your edges they shouldn't just start happening if they never happened before.

N2Orbit
09-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Why do I ask? - you might wonder. I'm getting some glitching from my LE lately. Out in the flats, cutting hard, just before throwing a gainer it will glitch and loose lift - not complete loss but enough to foul me up. I'm thinking it might be caused by the thin wing tips of the Max-Air flexing under the load. Wondering about having Jake bend winglets to make it more rigid. I always loved my old LEX (with winglets) - got more "suck down" back then but not the glitch. Anyone else had this issue or am I alone and way off base?

John.

I think you could be losing lift from one of three things: your modified rear wing, upper leading edge of your T-bar or front wingtip flex/flutter! When water temp starts to change rapidly, usually from warm days and cold nights this will create turning water or thermal pockets(basically warm and cold spots) that will effect the way your wings produces lift. I will need some more info to help you! I'm leaning towards your modified rear wing!

skyskiguy
09-05-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm going with the ventilation theory - that seems to make the most sense with what I'm experiencing. I've sharpened the leading (and trailing) edge of the strut and polished the whole set-up back to original shine. I'll let you know the results after next time out. Thanks for the input!

skyskiguy
09-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Tune and polish on the strut did the trick - hard as I tried, couldn't get it to glitch on Saturday.