PDA

View Full Version : X-Air Seat Tower - Review

Suicidal-Element
06-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Hey Guys,

I just thought I would give my $.02 about the new X-Air seat tower. I have been riding for over 12 years, so I have ridden a TON of different equipment, so be that what it is. I am also not a pro. Just an everyday guy like most of us on here. Honestly, in my opinion, this could be the best tower that I have ever ridden. Here is why......

- Frame is One solid piece, not multiple pieces, pivoting points, hinges or pins that I constantly end up breaking as seen below:
http://www.foilforum.com/forums/showthread.php?5160-What-is-not-a-good-feeling
- Super light weight in comparison to all the other towers I have ridden (Evo, Softail, Rock Tower, Shock Tower, Sampson, Etc.)
- Seat sits you 1.5" more forward = less hunching and sore back from riding (I ride a hot setup with lots of lift, so my back tends to get sore after a long ride)
- Rock solid / No Flex on Takeoff
- Soft landing, no sore back or shots up my spine
- Makes it easier to keep your body in front of the t-bar when going big on take-off
- Nice thick Seat Pad
- Just looks damn cool!!!!

Also, to top it off, the customer service I have gotten from Nathan and Tracy has been awesome!!!! They followed up with me to make sure I was happy with the seat.

I am one HAPPY customer!!!! Thanks X-Air

swayze
06-25-2012, 01:42 PM
I would agree with Brent's review. I finally got out on mine this weekend and have to say I am impressed. Very light compared to my shock tower. No I didn't weigh it but just lifting the ski in and out of the rack you can feel the difference. Solid takeoff with a nice landing. I did find it took a bit of getting use to the forward design as it seems I am crunch to my knees more and would like to move my feet forward. And at the end of the weekend my back felt good. Can't wait to get on her for extended seat time next week. Now I need a light weight board to go with it!!!

popeonarope
06-25-2012, 04:50 PM
I've also been riding the X-Air tower for the 2012 season and have loved it! Several of the riders that were testing the towers last year kept saying how much better their backs felt after a day of riding. I have to toally agree. The first 2 days of riding on the new tower I rode about 6-7 sets. Although I was black and blue from falls, my lower back was the one thing that did not hurt. I also had almost no stiffness in my back at the end of a set or the next day. Normally after 2 days straight of riding, I have a hard time bending over for a couple days. Not the case with the X-Air tower.

I've been riding the evo tower for the past 4 years and the transition over to the new tower took about 1/2 a set. For me, the timing is somewhat similar to an Evo with the carbon mod and the landing is nice and soft. Durability is a big thing for me. I've probably bought every part of the Evo tower at least 4 times over the years. Normally by this time of year I would have bought an Evo side or 2 and some rails. This has not been the case for the X-Air tower. Since the frame is made of only a few pieces welded together, it is hard to see where the tower would fail.

If you are in interested in the tower, call Nathan or Tracey and talk to them about it. They have towers in stock and are ready to move them!! Here is the contact information:

X Air, Inc.
706-342-7323
www.XAirFoils.com
XAir@XAirFoils.com
www.Facebook.com/XAirfoils

bstroop
06-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Just mounted my tower on Saturday and I can't wait to take it for a ride. Nathan and Tracy have given me nothing but great support so far.

Yeti
06-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Pics???

Suicidal-Element
06-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Pics???

Mike
06-26-2012, 11:09 AM
This seat sounds dreamy......:cool-sign:

YJim
06-26-2012, 01:11 PM
- Seat sits you 1.5" more forward

Is that 1 1/2" forward from the stock SkySki location? Seems excessive... Did you have to add some positive to your setup so you could maintain good foot pressure cutting?

tbskis
06-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Will a fork top tbar fit this seat?

bstroop
06-26-2012, 07:12 PM
I think the idea was to move top of the seat forward so you can sit farther back on it with you butt. The cg should be about the same.

YJim
06-26-2012, 08:19 PM
I think the idea was to move top of the seat forward so you can sit farther back on it with you butt. The cg should be about the same.

I like to ride butt centered on the seat . I love my current wing relationship to my center of mass. If i buy the X-air tower, I would need to move both my front and rear wings 1 1/2" forward or hang my ass 1 1/2" off the back of the seat to maintain my ride? Hopefully AirChair's "Crate" tower is a little more reasonable. I love the design/ lightweight of the new tower but I'm not willing to compromise my ride/ comfort for it...

bstroop
06-26-2012, 09:06 PM
I like to ride butt centered on the seat . I love my current wing relationship to my center of mass. If i buy the X-air tower, I would need to move both my front and rear wings 1 1/2" forward or hang my ass 1 1/2" off the back of the seat to maintain my ride? Hopefully AirChair's "Crate" tower is a little more reasonable. I love the design/ lightweight of the new tower but I'm not willing to compromise my ride/ comfort for it...

Gotcha....I usually ride on the forward 75% so hopefully it will respond the same with me sitting on the whole seat.

Mike
06-26-2012, 09:15 PM
Hey Guys,

I just thought I would give my $.02 about the new X-Air seat tower. I have been riding for over 12 years, so I have ridden a TON of different equipment, so be that what it is. I am also not a pro. Just an everyday guy like most of us on here. Honestly, in my opinion, this could be the best tower that I have ever ridden. Here is why......

- Frame is One solid piece, not multiple pieces, pivoting points, hinges or pins that I constantly end up breaking as seen below:
http://www.foilforum.com/forums/showthread.php?5160-What-is-not-a-good-feeling
- Super light weight in comparison to all the other towers I have ridden (Evo, Softail, Rock Tower, Shock Tower, Sampson, Etc.)
- Seat sits you 1.5" more forward = less hunching and sore back from riding (I ride a hot setup with lots of lift, so my back tends to get sore after a long ride)
- Rock solid / No Flex on Takeoff
- Soft landing, no sore back or shots up my spine
- Makes it easier to keep your body in front of the t-bar when going big on take-off
- Nice thick Seat Pad
- Just looks damn cool!!!!

Also, to top it off, the customer service I have gotten from Nathan and Tracy has been awesome!!!! They followed up with me to make sure I was happy with the seat.

I am one HAPPY customer!!!! Thanks X-Air

How much does it weigh?? You make it sound like its pounds lighter than even the Evo. Is that possible?

By no flex on takeoff do you mean the seat plate itself doesn't flex? Or are you talking about the actual structure of the seat?

Is the seat pad a Sky Ski 3" pad? Does it have a tailbone notch in it?

shot
06-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Yes without any mod it fit's

Suicidal-Element
06-27-2012, 03:17 PM
How much does it weigh?? You make it sound like its pounds lighter than even the Evo. Is that possible?

By no flex on takeoff do you mean the seat plate itself doesn't flex? Or are you talking about the actual structure of the seat?

Is the seat pad a Sky Ski 3" pad? Does it have a tailbone notch in it?

From what I understand, it weighs 7.6lbs. Honestly, I don't know how much an Evo weighs, but when picking up my ski with and Evo and picking it up with the Xair, I could tell a difference. By no flex, I mean that when I rode a softail, shock tower or evo, the seat would compress on takeoff, from the load = less angle to move the wings for jumping. This seat feels like a rock tower on takeoff, but soft on the landings. I don't know how thick the seat pad is, it just isnt thin like seat pads in the past (Air Chair). There is not a tailbone notch in the seatpad.

Suicidal-Element
06-27-2012, 03:19 PM

Honestly, with my Evo, I was hanging part of my butt off the seat. I sit centered on this one, without having to move the wings and it rides better for me. Now, it did take a couple runs to adjust, but now I am going bigger because it is easier for me to keep my back in front of the strut while launching.

Again, this is just my personal opinion from my riding style.

Mike
06-28-2012, 04:30 AM
Thanks for answering my questions. 7.6lbs sounds pretty light especially if that is with the belt and tbar bolts.

It has been mentioned on here a few times that it takes off like a rock tower and lands really soft. That sounds great! I can see how the bushings would allow it to have more flex and provide a little more cushion which sounds nice since I suffer from lower back issues already. This part I like. However, the takeoff like a rock tower comments don't make any sense. Watch Ferns air technique vid and it looks like it actually compresses MORE on TAKEOFF than it does on landing with every trick except the front. Maybe this is how it feels for some reason but to me it sounds like a BS marketing statement. What makes more sense is because the seat is 1.5" further forward you can ride with more lift therefore my ski feels like it comes up much harder.. Not my seat doesn't flex so I can get it steeper...

The seat sounds great and I would like to try one out. Even if it does compress on takeoff.

CwKoch
06-28-2012, 01:11 PM
From what I understand, it weighs 7.6lbs. Honestly, I don't know how much an Evo weighs, but when picking up my ski with and Evo and picking it up with the Xair, I could tell a difference. By no flex, I mean that when I rode a softail, shock tower or evo, the seat would compress on takeoff, from the load = less angle to move the wings for jumping. This seat feels like a rock tower on takeoff, but soft on the landings. I don't know how thick the seat pad is, it just isnt thin like seat pads in the past (Air Chair). There is not a tailbone notch in the seatpad.

Evo "Bones" = 6.2 Lbs (no pad, no swivels, stock seat plate. I've since done the carbon mod, so I should probably re-weigh the whole thing assembled.)
Evo Original (non-skeleton)= 7.23 Lbs. (Complete)

Shane-S
06-29-2012, 11:57 AM
- Seat sits you 1.5" more forward = less hunching and sore back from riding

Is the whole seat moved forward/angled forward? Does anyone know the measurement from the center of the front lower tower mounting bolt to the front of the seat pad (horizontal measrement) on the new X-air tower? The front of my seat pad on my rock tower measurement is 2-1/8" from the front tower mount bolt and 5-1/4" from the center of the t-bar mounting bolts. Just curious for a comparison. THANKS

shot
07-01-2012, 06:58 AM
The original X Tower is in exactly same weight like the evo-skeleton (maybe the bones is slightly heavier).

I designed the original X tower to hold up to 220 lbs rider going +60 frames.

There are a couple pro rider on the original X Tower for more then 1 year and all holding up like the fist day.

The main problem on pre-seat-towers been that average open rides been breaking several parts on it in less than 6 month.

So it you like to have a light and very reliable seat tower the original X Tower is the way to go.

bstroop
07-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Took mine out for the first time today and really like it. Took a few minutes to get used to sitting on more of the seat. Landings are a LOT nicer than my previous rock tower.

SLEDMAN
07-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Last month I talked to the xair tower riders about the softer landings with the new tower. Been riding my rock tower with skate board bushing and carbon plate for several years, back hurting. So I measured the critical points on the xair tower, and modded my rock tower to basiclly mimic the x tower setup, the change was moving my seat location 1.125 inches forward.

So when you ride the belt is in the same location, you still have to have your spline in same location on the seat over the tbar, but the 1 1/8" forward seat pad lets your thighs take some of the landing shock instead of just your spine sitting on the front edge of the seat, the overall effect is a softer feeling landing without your belt loosening or shocks and linkage. Good move for my old rock tower.

Foil~N~Powell
07-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Last month I talked to the xair tower riders about the softer landings with the new tower. Been riding my rock tower with skate board bushing and carbon plate for several years, back hurting. So I measured the critical points on the xair tower, and modded my rock tower to basiclly mimic the x tower setup, the change was moving my seat location 1.125 inches forward.

So when you ride the belt is in the same location, you still have to have your spline in same location on the seat over the tbar, but the 1 1/8" forward seat pad lets your thighs take some of the landing shock instead of just your spine sitting on the front edge of the seat, the overall effect is a softer feeling landing without your belt loosening or shocks and linkage. Good move for my old rock tower.I wonder who originally moved there seat forward an inch and a half and said "sweet! I'm never going back!"?

swayze
07-09-2012, 09:47 PM
I have been riding my x tower for 8 days straight and the back and tailbone are feeling great. The ribs are another story - damn overrotated rolls.

bmoorewiz
07-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Yea I think I have had my X-Air tower for about 3 weeks now, and I feel fantastic. I went from a shock tower to an X-Air tower and I feel much better and the ski rides better than it ever did with the shock tower.

blmeanie
07-25-2012, 11:11 AM
I probably missed this in other threads about the tower :

- price?
- compatibility with which t-bars? B39 in particular?

shot
07-25-2012, 11:42 AM
All kown Tbars fit also B39 and Lex without any mod like a cutout .....

AirJunky
07-25-2012, 02:10 PM
I wonder who originally moved there seat forward an inch and a half and said "sweet! I'm never going back!"?
I remember Mike Mack having an old plastic seat AirChair with a piece of white cutting board plastic bolted to the top in a way that extended the seat pad forward about 2"..... probably around 1997?
I understand that Murphy took that into consideration when they designed the first Rock Tower. He used to mention that all the time in his sales pitch.

PillHill
08-17-2012, 11:36 PM
Took my new XAir tower out today for the first time. Previously rode a shock tower. Both Linda and I give it four "thumbs up". Much more responsive when approaching the wake for jumping. The shock tower tended to give too much when loading up. Gonna have to get used to it, but today was a good start. A couple other riders noticed I landed hard on my old shock tower a few weeks ago (something I never really thought about). I need to work on my landing position to softening the landings. The new tower should help teach me better riding technique. As far as riding position on the seat, there's more seat to sit on. We've got several days to play on it and maybe try shimming wings differently after a few days.

The tower weighed in at 8 lb. 5 oz. out of the box, with the seat cushion, no belt. Maybe gravity is a little stronger here? Plan on new tbar bolts if you get one. Old ones were a hair short. Gonna do the board bolt mod and get rid of the d-nuts.

tbskis
08-18-2012, 07:06 AM
Any opinions on the xair T-bar?

XAir
08-18-2012, 07:55 AM
11 Hours Agohttp://www.foilforum.com/forums/images/blackpost/buttons/ip.gif

Here are a few pictures of what we at X Air are working on. We have designed a plate that will increase the amount of flex while still keeping the amount of rigidity needed to maintain a high performance ride. We have taken the knowledge we have gained in studying the CF flex plate and G10 plates over a period of riding time and this is what we have arrived at. It is a carbon fiber plate designed for this tower it will flex repeatedly without gaining a memory you know the sag everyone gets out of the CF plates from McMaster Carr yet has a softer ride than the G10 and CF plates we all know http://www.foilforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8543&d=1345254213&thumb=1 (http://www.foilforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8543&d=1345255061)http://www.foilforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8544&d=1345254242&thumb=1 (http://www.foilforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8544&d=1345255104)

EricR
08-18-2012, 09:50 AM
The tower weighed in at 8 lb. 5 oz. out of the box, with the seat cushion, no belt. Maybe gravity is a little stronger here? Plan on new tbar bolts if you get one. Old ones were a hair short. Gonna do the board bolt mod and get rid of the d-nuts. Close in weight to the Evo. My Frankenstien Evo is 8.6 with 3 inch pad, belt, and my homemade HD rails.

Jay
08-19-2012, 10:20 PM
I have been riding an Evo with the plate raised 7/8" and 1" forward. I installed the XAir tower and noticed that my FUSE40 board plug now sits flush with the bottom of the board. Which leads me to believe that this tower was designed to run a spacer under it? Either that or my EVO is so out of shape that it is about 1/8" high. The seat pad is thicker than the standard Sky Ski pad. I had a chance to ride it once today and it took most of my 40 or so minute run to get used to the tower. For some reason I just had a hard time getting it sorted out. I didn't change the lift and notice a LOT more seat under my butt. Even with my EVO plate moved 1" forward. I'm thinking the extra height might have something to do with it but I'm not sure. As far as the suspension goes, it felt exactly the same as my EVO. With that said the EVO has the same plate so it doesn't surprise me.

Now it's time to give this tower some Big Jay love and put it on a diet with some Ti5 hardware and some crazy colors. I need to ano the swivels too. I will get you all some figures from my scale (cheap Internet scale) and compare my EVO with the BOA belt to the XAir with Ti5 hardware and a BOA belt. In a few weeks though.

bstroop
08-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Are those of you running X Air towers on Sky ski boards using the bushings on the tower mount or are you removing them and using the big sky ski washers on top of the tower mount? I have the bushings in right now and can't seem to get my tbar centered in the board slot. I'm thinking the extra hole diameter without the bushing will allow me to center it.

Anyone

CwKoch
08-20-2012, 08:50 AM
New carbon plates look nice!! Are they from Dragon Plate, or the place making the boards??

YJim
08-20-2012, 03:05 PM
New carbon plates look nice!! Are they from Dragon Plate, or the place making the boards??

From Tracy @ X-air...

"The new carbon plate is doing awesome. We had it tested after the long weekend, and what we were told is that the way it was laid up it is constructed to bend and return to its previous state over and over. The carbon engineer also was the first person to create the all carbon sail mast. So, the seat plate was engineered with the same thought process, and he said that our seat plate will hold up the same way."

There were a bunch of these towers @ the Georgia flyin. No failures and nothing but praise from everyone that rode one... I was a non believer and now I'm buying one... They are sweet!

jwfoiler
09-02-2012, 07:33 AM
I just got my new X-Air tower and I really like it.

kg arnold
09-17-2012, 05:14 PM
Price?

XAir
09-18-2012, 06:37 AM
The price varies according to options. However the average is $850 it all depends on colors that you choose. Give us a call 1(706) 342-7323 X Air Foils

EricR
09-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Hey Nate... I had heard a team rider cut his finger pretty good on the new tower. Was it a freak accident or something else?

Jay
09-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Hey Nate... I had heard a team rider cut his finger pretty good on the new tower. Was it a freak accident or something else?
Torey was going for a BNC 2 AFF combo and his finger got caught between the belt swivel and pad plate. It broke his finger and cut it up pretty good. Torey was riding an older prototype tower and the bolt holding the swivel in place was too long and stuck out past the nut. The new towers are a touch different and have the correct sized hardware.

EricR
09-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Torey was going for a BNC 2 AFF combo and his finger got caught between the belt swivel and pad plate. It broke his finger and cut it up pretty good. Torey was riding an older prototype tower and the bolt holding the swivel in place was too long and stuck out past the nut. The new towers are a touch different and have the correct sized hardware.

Ouch... Hope it heals quick... I thought it might have been from the swivel tabs that stick out.

XAir
09-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Good Morning Eric

Yes, it was a freak accident. The tower was designed with a double locking system for the swivels basically saying that the tower has a threaded hole for the swivel bolts and then a rounded nylock nut is to be placed on said bolt in order to lock said bolt in place and to prevent any sharp edges from protruding in to contact ares Yes this tower was one of the prototype towers and it was not sold to the public. This is not a problem with any towers sold today.

EricR
09-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Good Morning Eric

Yes, it was a freak accident. The tower was designed with a double locking system for the swivels basically saying that the tower has a threaded hole for the swivel bolts and then a rounded nylock nut is to be placed on said bolt in order to lock said bolt in place and to prevent any sharp edges from protruding in to contact ares Yes this tower was one of the prototype towers and it was not sold to the public. This is not a problem with any towers sold today.

Good to know... Thanks for the follow up... Keeping my eye on the new towers as I am not sure how long my welds will hold on my repaired Evo.