PDA

View Full Version : Everbrite Metal Coating - Anyone try it?

EricR
12-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Looks like Shark Hide. It was mentioned in a thread here a few years back but I don't believe anyone tried it. It is available in aerosol can.

https://www.everbritecoatings.com/cart/protectaclear-coating-only-c-7.html

Might have to give this a go!

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?251981-Everbrite-Coating-The-acid-test

Jay
12-06-2013, 11:50 PM
https://www.everbritecoatings.com/cart/index.php?main_page=page_3

For sure. Since the nano guy failed. I was going to send my bar out this winter too.

Tallredrider
12-07-2013, 09:38 AM
They mention that they used it on anodized alluminum... Would there be any real benefit of that for us?

XtremeFoils
12-07-2013, 02:52 PM
The Nano coating had uv inhibitors so I put it over my ano'd bar/wings to keep them from fading. Worked great for at least a year. Everything still looks brand new. I wonder if this stuff is as tough?

EricR
12-07-2013, 05:41 PM
The Nano coating had uv inhibitors so I put it over my ano'd bar/wings to keep them from fading. Worked great for at least a year. Everything still looks brand new. I wonder if this stuff is as tough?

My guess is no as Everbrite can be taken off with acetone. Once Nano cures it must be soaked in gas for hours to soften it up for removal.

EricR
12-13-2013, 11:47 AM
I called Everbrite today. The self leveling product can be touched up and you can put multiple coats on. If your polish has acid in it (like mothers) you need to neutralize it before application. They recommend MAAS Polish as it does not have acid ( http://www.maasinc.com/ )

ProtectaClear for any application that goes in the water.

I am ordering some today and will report back.... I plan on putting it on my fresh black ano tbar and fresh polished Stache...

https://www.everbritecoatings.com/marine.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AKHKim_Sfpw

EricR
12-18-2013, 12:18 AM
Arrived... http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/18/me5upuja.jpg

EricR
12-22-2013, 01:32 PM
First coat on top.... Self levels and unlike like Shark Hide, easy to go over areas twice. Instructions say you can put on multiple coats too. 4-5 days to cure. You can speed it up by sticking in an oven at 180 degrees after coating is dry to the touch. No rainbow haze like SH (so far). Will let dry for few hours than do bottom. It will go in the water next weekend. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/23/u7e4eza5.jpg

Tallredrider
12-22-2013, 01:36 PM
I think that pictures rarely do justice when trying to demonstrate gloss or sheen, but it looks like the wing has some white fuzzy areas on it now, is that true? Looking at it again, I wonder if that is actually reflection of some wispy clouds in the sky...

Does it actually still look freshly polished?

EricR
12-22-2013, 02:44 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/23/6ezubamy.jpg
I think that pictures rarely do justice when trying to demonstrate gloss or sheen, but it looks like the wing has some white fuzzy areas on it now, is that true? Looking at it again, I wonder if that is actually reflection of some wispy clouds in the sky...

Does it actually still look freshly polished?

No haze.... No rainbow.... Looks freshly polished.... Felt dry to the touch in less then an hour so I flipped it and did the bottom. I had runs on the bottom from where the coating went through bolt holes. Putting the product on it took the runs right out. Also touched up the top and the product blends perfectly (unlike SH).

theking
12-22-2013, 06:53 PM
wow,, liking the results so far Eric, thanks for testing this out. if this holds up better then shark hide I will be making the switch too.

EricR
12-22-2013, 07:23 PM
wow,, liking the results so far Eric, thanks for testing this out. if this holds up better then shark hide I will be making the switch too.

I will be trying it out on an ano rear wing next. If that goes well my ano tbar! I am fairly confident it will be hardier than Shark Hide. Also, buying the spray can version would make application super easy.

firedude
01-02-2014, 07:06 PM
Eric, how's the everbright holding up?

EricR
01-02-2014, 07:50 PM
Eric, how's the everbright holding up?

I did not swap out wing as I was still tuning Nots Stache... Or I was too lazy:slaphead:....

I left the wing at Parker and will not get to try the coating until PI (Feb).

I will be stripping the Ano off of my viper and once polished I will apply the coating. It will probably hit the saltwater in 2 weeks!

Update then.

Sorry.... Blame it on the Blue Mountains that got in my way at the river!

EricR
02-08-2014, 08:36 PM
A week on the Strip and wings look perfect. Much nicer than Shark Hide. No rainbow haze either.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

SkySkiMike
02-09-2014, 07:56 AM
Going to have to give it a try this season

XtremeFoils
02-09-2014, 12:27 PM
A week on the Strip and wings look perfect. Much nicer than Shark Hide. No rainbow haze either.

I did get some of the everbrite spray to cover the ano foils I have to see if it helps with fading. I'll let everyone know how it works out when it gets closer to riding time (April ish). Won't be able to tell on the fading till the end of the season, but I will be able to report on how it holds up. Nice thing is it's easy to remove with xylene should you want to recoat.

EricR
02-10-2014, 11:21 AM
I did get some of the everbrite spray to cover the ano foils I have to see if it helps with fading. I'll let everyone know how it works out when it gets closer to riding time (April ish). Won't be able to tell on the fading till the end of the season, but I will be able to report on how it holds up. Nice thing is it's easy to remove with xylene should you want to recoat.

Have you sprayed it on your gear yet? If so... How did it go. I am looking to do my ano Tbar next.

XtremeFoils
02-10-2014, 11:55 AM
Have you sprayed it on your gear yet? If so... How did it go. I am looking to do my ano Tbar next.

Have not sprayed it on the tbars/wings yet. Still waiting for the weather to be above "colder than hell". Hopefully that's soon. I'll report back after I use the spray and let everyone know how that process went.

Shu

EricR
02-14-2014, 08:48 AM

Everbrite on the left.... Fresh Polish on the right!

NOTS
02-18-2014, 04:59 PM
If I didn't know any better I'd say someone rigged that 'nice' red and white flag in the background ... PHOTO BOMBED!!!!

EricR
03-16-2014, 09:21 AM
Just coated a new prop I bought.... Will be putting it on next weekend to see how it holds up!

Tallredrider
03-16-2014, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=EricR;73438]Just coated a new prop I bought.... Will be putting it on next weekend to see how it holds up!

If the Everbrite stays on the prop, that would be the ultimate test!

EricR
03-16-2014, 08:01 PM
Nathan from Nano coated some props... That is where I got the idea... 2 coats... Keep folks posted.

theking
03-16-2014, 08:37 PM
Nathan from Nano coated some props... That is where I got the idea... 2 coats... Keep folks posted.

didn't you coat some wings before the Parker Invasion? how are they holding up?

EricR
03-16-2014, 08:42 PM
Yes... They only have a week of skiing on them but are holding up fine. I ski Old Man Jeff's ski when we go out local so my ski has not been ridden for a bit.... Going out next week to the river tho... I will take some pics.

firedude
03-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Eric, how are you applying, aerosol or wipe on?

EricR
03-17-2014, 07:51 PM
I went with wipe.... Shuy bought the spray. Maybe he will let us know how it went since I just saw his "unfrozen lake" news bite!

Sales lady said she liked the wipe on. It is easy to apply but I imagine the spray would be the easiest as you not have to worry about lint.

EricR
03-23-2014, 07:00 PM
Just got back from 3 days on the Strip. Really impressed so far with the coating. I have not done the suntan lotion test to see if it leaves fingerprints like Shark Hide. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/24/u9uhypu6.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/24/2a4ubuta.jpg

Waiting to hear from Shu if the spray works well so we can apply it to another complete setup...

XtremeFoils
03-24-2014, 08:07 AM
I'll see if I can get a wing or two coated this week and get back to everyone.

EricR
03-24-2014, 12:32 PM
I'll see if I can get a wing or two coated this week and get back to everyone.

Thanks

XtremeFoils
03-26-2014, 04:13 PM
I put the first coat of spray everbrite on an anodized setup. Not a whole lot to report other than it sprays on easily. I'm spraying pretty light coats to make sure it doesn't run. I think I'll go with 3 coats when it's all said and done. My goal is to keep the "gunk" off the setup that accumulates over time on anodized parts at my lake as well as keep it from fading. Only time will tell.

EricR
03-26-2014, 06:24 PM
Does it make the Ano look brighter?

XtremeFoils
03-26-2014, 07:28 PM
Yes - same as the nano coating did. But right now I'm just doing the silver black, so I should be able to tell better when I do the blue/black or orange/black setups. 3rd coat is on - I'll let it dry overnight and see how it turned out. It went on well - had a bit of an orange peel looking texture when spraying, but that seemed to fade after a few minutes. We'll see how smooth it is once it's completely dry.

Parrothead725
03-26-2014, 08:41 PM
Shu,

Is that the DD40 t-bar? I have not seen a t-bar with that keel profile before? Or is the picture distorted and just my imagination?

Foiler
03-26-2014, 08:57 PM
I bought some of the spray too. I haven't put it on my foil but I did spray it on a test piece. I wasn't thrilled with the uneven orange peel look but when I came back later it was completely smooth. I also sprayed some semi flat black on the test piece and even scuffed some of the paint with scotch brite. I then sprayed the protectaclear on top and it filled the scratches somewhat and made it look like glossy black. I really like it but I wonder how well it will stay on a polished aluminum surface. I think it will still get scratched but at least once it does it can easily be removed and resprayed. My goal is to leave my Tbar polished this time instead of anodizing. I sure hope it works out!!

XtremeFoils
03-27-2014, 08:10 AM
Update. Everything worked out great. I was a little worried about everything being vertical, but there were no runs or anything abnormal. And Foiler, I'm sure you could scratch this, but the beauty is it can be easily reapplied, so this stuff should be awesome if it holds up for a season. Definitely makes the ano'd stuff shine.

All I did was wipe everything down with Xylene, make sure there were no pieces of lint or anything on the surfaces, and start spraying. I used pretty thin coats since I didn't want anything running. 3 coats in all with about an hour or so between coats. I'll let these sit for a week before they see any water just to make sure.

We are going skiing this weekend if the weather holds out, so I'll do the other two setups after we get done skiing so they have time to dry also. (it says 4 to 5 days to fully cure)

And yes, Parrothead - that's the XAir (Heinrich) deep hole drilled t-bar.

Shu

EricR
03-27-2014, 08:10 AM
I bought some of the spray too. I haven't put it on my foil but I did spray it on a test piece. I wasn't thrilled with the uneven orange peel look but when I came back later it was completely smooth. I also sprayed some semi flat black on the test piece and even scuffed some of the paint with scotch brite. I then sprayed the protectaclear on top and it filled the scratches somewhat and made it look like glossy black. I really like it but I wonder how well it will stay on a polished aluminum surface. I think it will still get scratched but at least once it does it can easily be removed and resprayed. My goal is to leave my Tbar polished this time instead of anodizing. I sure hope it works out!!

The product "self levels" and " re emulsifies" when you add a second coat. Shark Hide did pretty well on the tbar but would wear from the rack strap. Everbrite is definitely a harder finish. My wings are doing well but the real test will be on the tbar. I was coating both sides at the same time wiping it on. I assume you guys are doing the same when you spray?

XtremeFoils
03-27-2014, 08:13 AM
Yes, I sprayed everything while it was hanging from the line so I coated all sides.

rrolin
03-28-2014, 07:36 PM
Bry, Aren't you supposed to put on 4 or 5 coats all at once and then slice the runs off the bottom with a razor blade? That's what we pros do!:smile:

XtremeFoils
03-28-2014, 08:27 PM
Damn! I knew I should have called the pros before I did this... by the way... I still need some "orange" on my c/f boards. :)

rrolin
03-28-2014, 11:01 PM
Hmmmm...Startin' to get warm. Better get it to me before long so you don't miss any ridin' time:smile:

skyskiguy
04-12-2014, 07:21 PM
Any updates on how it's holding up? Just did a fresh polish on my foil - deciding whether to apply the Shark Hide or order Everbrite ProtectaClear. If Everbrite, wipe-on or spray-on?

EricR
04-14-2014, 07:00 AM
Any updates on how it's holding up? Just did a fresh polish on my foil - deciding whether to apply the Shark Hide or order Everbrite ProtectaClear. If Everbrite, wipe-on or spray-on?

They make both... I bought the wipe on and it still looks perfect. When I am done with spring break I will have another 9 days of riding on the wings. I will be shooting another set of wings today as my buddy bought the spray on. I will also be shooting a comptech rack. As mentioned above the product is easier to work with compared to shark hide.

SkySkiMike
04-14-2014, 09:07 AM
They make both... I bought the wipe on and it still looks perfect. When I am done with spring break I will have another 9 days of riding on the wings. I will be shooting another set of wings today as my buddy bought the spray on. I will also be shooting a comptech rack. As mentioned above the product is easier to work with compared to shark hide.

I have to get my stuff polished up I have been using shakhide for about a season and a half and want to try this. Let us know from your experience what you think works better the spray or wipe.

EricR
04-14-2014, 05:41 PM
Maybe Shu will chime in but the spray did not turn out well for me. Looks like texture coat. Same happened to another PFC rider. I think it has something to do with the heat. 90.... I applied the liquid in same heat and no issues. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/15/equzama7.jpg

theking
04-14-2014, 05:53 PM
Maybe Shu will chime in but the spray did not turn out well for me. Looks like texture coat. Same happened to another PFC rider. I think it has something to do with the heat. 90.... I applied the liquid in same heat and no issues. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/15/equzama7.jpg

mine turned out the same way using the spray on, and its not 90 here in BC. but what I didn't do to mine was wipe it down with xylene after washing it with baking soda/water mixer as per the instructions,,, but forgot. Zoe from everbrite said that is why mine turned out like yours with the orange peel look.
i'm going to leave it for a while and see how it wears before i peel it off and try again.

EricR
04-14-2014, 06:33 PM
mine turned out the same way using the spray on, and its not 90 here in BC. but what I didn't do to mine was wipe it down with xylene after washing it with baking soda/water mixer as per the instructions,,, but forgot. Zoe from everbrite said that is why mine turned out like yours with the orange peel look.
i'm going to leave it for a while and see how it wears before i peel it off and try again.

Hmm... Odd because I coated a new wing fresh from Geronimos without cleaning it with the wipe on and no issues.

EricR
04-14-2014, 06:59 PM
We are stripping the wings now and will try to re coat with spray in cooler temps

EricR
04-14-2014, 07:07 PM
Stripped. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/15/apaje9ad.jpg

XtremeFoils
04-15-2014, 09:48 AM
Finally made it back to technology. I never had an issue spraying my wings/t-bars. No "orange peel" look. I did wipe everything down with xylene before I sprayed it, but it turned out awesome and I did 3 full setups.

EricR
04-16-2014, 07:28 AM
Second attempt went better. Rear wing came out pretty good. The front had less orange peel this time. Still not looking the way my wiped on looks though. Wonder if there is no peel on your setups with the spray because they are ano Shu. Thicker coat seems to reduce the peel look. We sprayed in the morning this time to eliminate the heat factor.

Foiler
04-16-2014, 08:36 AM
Second attempt went better. Rear wing came out pretty good. The front had less orange peel this time. Still not looking the way my wiped on looks though. Wonder if there is no peel on your setups with the spray because they are ano Shu. Thicker coat seems to reduce the peel look. We sprayed in the morning this time to eliminate the heat factor.

I sprayed a piece of raw aluminum a few different ways, light and heavy coats and it was hard to get it smooth. Next day it was all perfectly smooth in the light and heavy areas. It was very cool out and in the garage. I would say, higher temp, lower humidity or any airflow will make it dry quicker and the quicker it drys the higher chance of it not self leveling like it is supposed to.

EricR
04-17-2014, 06:21 PM
The rear wing I did on my spring break is starting to tarnish. My fault as I did not give it more than a day to dry. I will strip and re coat when my trip is done.

EricR
04-20-2014, 08:52 AM
Pulled my boat after being in the water for a week an my Everbrite coated prop looks perfect.

firedude
04-21-2014, 10:45 AM
applied the aerosol after cleaning with xylene to the ano seat tower which come out great no orange peal, applied to the polished wings and BAM all orange peel, 65 degrees and low humidity. Just got off the phone with Everbright and she said for some reason the product is trying to self level to quickly on the polished surfaces which was noted by Eric above causing the orange peel, ordered the liquid for round two.

EricR
04-21-2014, 11:02 AM
I stripped a wing last night, polished and re coated with liquid. Turned out great. Also did a new front wing and it turned out fine too. I will be putting on a second coat to see how it goes. I will report back. Odd about the spray on not working well.

SkySkiMike
04-21-2014, 12:00 PM
Sounds like liquid is the way Im going. Used to doing it that way with the sharkhide anyway.

EricR
04-23-2014, 08:08 AM
I put a second coat on a front wing. It melted away some imperfections of my first application. Coatings will have streaks and bubbles when first applied but will disappear when the product self levels. I will be doing the Comptech rack that lives on our ocean boat next.

Chad
04-24-2014, 08:15 AM
Hmm... Odd because I coated a new wing fresh from Geronimos without cleaning it with the wipe on and no issues.

I have to second this as I too applied the spray, 3 coats, directly after polishing with no issues. Looks fantastic with no imperfections but I am a little concerned as to the durability? I lightly scratched it with a fingernail after it dried, and it chipped off rather easily.

Chad
04-24-2014, 08:25 AM
Oh also want to mention that I did get the wipe on as well. Used it on my SS appliances in my kitchen. That is truly worth the effort! appliances look fantastic and fingerprints and cleanup is a breeze compaired to the raw SS.
Just another observation.

EricR
04-24-2014, 08:33 AM
Oh also want to mention that I did get the wipe on as well. Used it on my SS appliances in my kitchen. That is truly worth the effort! appliances look fantastic and fingerprints and cleanup is a breeze compaired to the raw SS.
Just another observation.

Remember they said it takes a few days to cure. On my second coat of a front wing I did a few days ago it looks even smoother now. And appliances... Great idea. I have a dishwasher that looks like hell. Will have to clean it up and coat it.

theking
04-24-2014, 08:51 AM
I have to second this as I too applied the spray, 3 coats, directly after polishing with no issues. Looks fantastic with no imperfections but I am a little concerned as to the durability? I lightly scratched it with a fingernail after it dried, and it chipped off rather easily.

I wonder if the chipping off easily is party since it was coated right after polishing? if it wasn't wiped down with xylene after polish and washed with soda & water, there could be a wax coating on the surface, which could have an effect of the ever bright not adhering to bare metal?
i know after I polished mine and washed it, the water beaded off the metal like it had a nice wax coating,,, next time i'll wipe it down with xylene as per the instructions and see if I get a better result.

Chad
04-24-2014, 09:17 AM
Well to be honest the scratch test was a few hous after application and not the few day cure. It has been in the rack in tha garage since, so i will check it again this afternoon.

XtremeFoils
04-28-2014, 09:51 AM
Update on my Everbrite spray coating. Unfortunately, I didn't have any time to try the ski out before I went to the Flatland flyin, so last weekend was my first true test. Although everything looked great after the applications, the ski had several issues.

First ride it was very apparent the t-bar was hunting. It wasn't so bad I couldn't do tricks, but bad enough I couldn't totally trust the ski. After the first day, I stripped the t-bar and rode it the next day. Second test all the hunting from the t-bar went away, but there were still some cleanup issues on landings. Everything worked great, but the ski wouldn't recover after a landing which made combos impossible. Third day I put on a freshly polished front wing, and all that went away.

So unfortunately I won't be using everbrite on my ano'd parts. I'm guessing it is thick enough to cause minor issues and I want to be able to absolutely trust my ski.

That being said, I never took the time to remove the coating from the leading edges, so that could solve some if not all the problems. I just didn't have time to mess with it at the flatland.

I put on 3 coats of the stuff when I coated my parts. I'm guessing that is too much. So for those who are going to experiment, you may want fewer coats and you may want to hit the leading edges to make sure there aren't issues.

Shu

SkySkiMike
04-28-2014, 11:30 AM
I used sharkhide for 2 seasons. One time
I tried using just two coats and my ski was un ridable, no lift, dragging, and hunting. Went back to one coat and never had any more issues

EricR
04-28-2014, 01:59 PM
I used sharkhide for 2 seasons. One time
I tried using just two coats and my ski was un ridable, no lift, dragging, and hunting. Went back to one coat and never had any more issues

Thanks for the update guys. I put two coats on the last set of wings I coated. I will be testing this Saturday. Guess I better bring back up wings and solvent.

SkySkiMike
04-28-2014, 02:04 PM
Ya I only tried to two coats once I was going to a lake in TN that for what ever reason is really tough on the foils polished or anno. It would take the sharkhide off also, figured maybe it would last the whole week I was there....wrong. Rode like hell. Stripped it and rode it tarnished all week.

EricR
05-03-2014, 12:24 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/04/ahugasu5.jpg

Two coats and no issues.

hiifive
05-03-2014, 09:53 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/04/ahugasu5.jpg

Two coats and no issues.

Thats with the liquid too , not the spray on right Eric?

EricR
05-03-2014, 09:58 PM
Correct. Liquid

hiifive
05-03-2014, 10:10 PM
Correct. Liquid

Did you have to tune the leading edge at all after applying?

EricR
05-03-2014, 10:14 PM
Did you have to tune the leading edge at all after applying?

Nope

hiifive
05-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Sweet , thanks for the update.

EricR
05-04-2014, 08:59 AM
The liquid goes on thick. I don't think a second coat is necessary.

EricR
05-10-2014, 02:14 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/11/uquqe7er.jpg

Not sure what went wrong. Must not have neutralized the wing enough? Polish I use doesn't have acid in it either. This was the liquid and not the spray. First outing.

SkySkiMike
05-10-2014, 08:21 PM
Coated my wings with everbrite for the first time tonight. Being used to sharkhide the everbrite is much thicker is did smooth out well though. It will for droplets if you put it in to heaven where as sharkhide you would really have to pour it on to do that. I hope to take my first ride next weekend so I'll see if it holds up for me.

theking
05-10-2014, 08:29 PM
today was my madan voyage on the foil after coating with ever brite. I can't say I notice it ride any different with the coating than with out or coated the shark hide.

LakeLife
08-24-2014, 05:30 PM
Any new feedback after a few months of use?

SkySkiMike
08-24-2014, 05:39 PM
It's a good durable coating it manages to flake off sometimes leaving exposed tarnished spots.....still better than polishing every week

theking
08-24-2014, 09:27 PM
1st try: coating came off during the first ride... my fault since I didn't wash it with xylene before coating,
2nd try: coating starting showing signs of flaking off during my first week holidays, after the second week at Pine lake it needs to be stripped off and redone.

going to try it once more since I have lots left over, but it looks like at this point shark hide out lasts ever brite for me.

EricR
08-26-2014, 11:32 AM
Here is my recap having used both coatings for a season. SH is harder to apply as it sets up quicker and is almost impossible to touch up if you find you missed a spot. SH is not as hardy when it comes to being handled with suntan hands. It will leave finger prints. However, I too have found the Everbrite flaking off after a month of use. I also have had coatings that did not seem to adhere well and flake after first use.

kellett5261
10-29-2015, 10:32 AM
is anybody still using Everbrite? or is there something new out there?

theking
10-29-2015, 03:03 PM
is anybody still using Everbrite? or is there something new out there?

not me, I gave up on it. I was hopeful it would last since it was much nicer then SH to work with. but it just won't last long enough to make it worth while. Like Eric mentioned, from one ride to a month's worth and its already coming off.

Shark Hide is still my preference.

EricR
10-29-2015, 05:50 PM
I still have half filled cans of both. I just stripped the SH and Everbrite off of my wings and polished for Nots to use at Apache. Going to take my gear down to Geronimo to Polish and Ano next week. I did love the look of polished wings and the easy of repairing but going back to Ano.

Everbrite... worked great if it would adhere to the part. I would do front and rear wing at same time. One application would work and the other would fail. Never had the issue with the SH.

Sent from my van down by the river!