PDA

View Full Version : Sky Ski upgrade

LindaT
09-22-2008, 09:59 AM
WOW!!!! Bear with me. I just joined your group, sounds like an awesome group of people. I did a search but have gotten lost in all the lingo. My dilemma is; We have been foiling for a few years. I have roughly 2002 with rock tower. We are 47 yo. Mostly just jumping. Do not like all the hard falls that come with the bigger moves. We both are having back pain issues. Mine occurs with other sports not just foiling. Husbands is mostly related to foiling.Back and neck, shoulder strain(figure all the money he spends on massage therapy could be put toward a better foil) Anyway. What would be the best upgrade? New tower,whole new system,evo tower,shock tower,new, used? Help I am lost. PS I know going to a fly in is ideal but usually not an option.

22-8
09-22-2008, 10:15 AM
I upgraded from a stock setup to the B-39 with EVO and absolutely love it. I think it is probably the cheapest whole setup upgrade that you can make and definitely worth it!!!

LindaT
09-22-2008, 11:10 AM
What are the benefits of the evo tower over shock tower LE/base shock tower? My husband is leaning toward a shock tower upgrade Le

22-8
09-22-2008, 11:34 AM
I am sure some others will chime in with comparisons between the shock/evo. Personally I did not want to mess with the shock with pump, etc. You have to adjust it for each rider depending on weight, etc for it to absorb properly.

A good buddy and I actually prefer our B-39's with EVO setup EXACTLY the same, so when we go out we just take the foil of whoever's boat we are using so it becomes nice for us to save room with a boat full. He weighs around 50-60 pounds more than me and we would have to adjust the shock tower compression between each set.

From my personal observations at fly in/tourneys - more folks are leaning towards the EVO for various reasons.

Foiler
09-22-2008, 01:29 PM
If your husband wants an LE and you are ok with it then you will be set. The Sky Ski LE is as good as it gets with the exception of some of the aftermarket wings and T-bars but at that level they are all good. The Sky Ski LE38 is the best complete ski you can get and it will be a noticable improvement over what you are riding.
If you have bad backs the shock tower will be the thing to get. The main advantage of the Evo tower is it is lighter. A lot of people don't really need the cushy shock tower and have upgraded to the Evo so there have been some used LE shock towers for sale for a pretty good price. I have one friend with a bad back and he has tried them all but always ends up going back to the shock tower.
Welcome to the site!!

AirJunky
09-22-2008, 01:57 PM
The LE38 is definitely the best ride available. But the B39 is 90% of the performance at 1/2 the cost.

The Shock Tower is great for riders with back issues. And likewise, the Evo can help cush the ride a bit too. Just depends on what rider you talk to as to which one you need. The bottom line is the Shock Tower is like 3 or 4 lbs heavier but has much more travel in it.... almost 4" in the ST & about an inch in the Evo. I rarely messed with the pump once I got it dialed in. And all I ever did on the Shock Tower was pump it up to 300 lbs & then leave it.

Grumpy
09-22-2008, 02:33 PM
I swore by my shock tower until l I tried the evo. I LOVE my evo and my back was a definite consideration as the rock tower was killing me! I have had a B39 and a LE38. The B39 is a great riding ski at a much more affordable price, but if you just have to have the best, I would recomend the LE38 with an Evo!

LindaT
09-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Thanks for all the input so fast. When I say LE I mean only the shock since we can not afford the whole $5000+. IT is so great to find such a helpful site. I have ignored all the new technology/upgrades for as long as I think I can. I plan on doing this forever. My mom is 78 and can still deep water start on the slalom.

YJim
09-22-2008, 04:06 PM
If a used LE shock tower is compatible with your cast T-bar, that would be the most cost effective way to go.

Jay
09-22-2008, 05:05 PM
One of things you might not understand about foiling is that the high performance (HP) wings and t-bars are the only way to go. The new wings and t-bars "clean up" after a jump SOOOO much better than a SS pro. By cleaning up I mean that when the wing leaves the water the newer, bigger, foils will regain flight before your board goes smashing down to the water surface. That in it's self is a back/ass saver. Another cool advantage about the bigger foils is that you don't have to ride as fast to acheive the performance level you are looking for. Less speed means less pain on crashes. The only problem I see with the shock tower seat is it rides just like a rock tower until you get the pressure set right. You will most likely have to adjust the pressure for each rider. If you don't set the pressure high enough you could bottom the shock out and damage the shock.

The shock tower will give you some relief but you will be kicking yourself for not upgrading foils sooner. :slaphead: Get a hold of Fern and he can set you up with a ride or possibley someone in your area with a HP foil.

WARNING: Once you ride a HP foil your credit card will have some additional debt magically appear on it.:cool-sign:

Dougie Fresh
09-23-2008, 05:49 PM
I just got an LE shock tower for a good price and I love it after one ride. I no longer had to worry about my back while riding so I could let it fly. I was able to get my cast foil to hook up to the seat, it did take very slight modification. Well worth it though. Now I want to upgrade the foil but don't have the cash.:slaphead:

EricR
09-28-2008, 11:36 AM
This is my Sky Ski Upgrade!:excited:

Jay
09-28-2008, 11:02 PM
This is my Sky Ski Upgrade!:excited:Sweet can I ride it?:cool2:

EricR
09-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Sweet can I ride it?:cool2:

http://www.foilforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8395#post8395

So I dont hijack the thread!