PDA

View Full Version : Help identify my *new to me* SS Pro?

tynakker
09-19-2014, 05:08 PM
Sky Ski Pro acquired second hand last summer. Have been doing a lot of reading here on the forum as I get more comfortable with big air and start inverts. Now I feel like I need to know EXACTLY what I have so I can look at upgrades vs replacements. I've replaced the heel straps and belt with Cinch gear and love it. The rest is as-received.

Pcs here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1xTMpcI1LIqaE52cW02MUF6Q2s&usp=sharing

Specifically:
Board: SS Pro (approx year/quirks?)
Tower: Rock Tower(?)
T-bar: cast? year? -stamped H089
Wings: stock - flat with winglets in front, flat with vertical guides protruding downward about 2" from the tips of the rear wing.

One thing seems unusual to me -- the strut fits loosely enough into the seat that before tightening the wing nuts on the tower, the foil wings will rotate almost 2" forward or backward - like the U has been widened or the spacers aren't large enough. Is this normal?

Any inexpensive (is that word impossible in this sport?) suggestions for less bouncy landings? Tuning or shims maybe? Something that can get me riding away from gainers consistently before I shell out for the new setup?

Thanks for your help.

woodysdad
09-19-2014, 06:35 PM
Board.....Aluminum top....Probably between 1998-2004
Tower......YES....Rock
T-bar...CAST...Between 1999-2004....(most 1998 Cast t-bars had "1/2 keel")....E-Mail Sky Ski with stamped t-bar number to find out exact year.
T-bar should not move when tightened down with wing nuts....Maybe the "donuts" are not the correct size that hold the t-bar to the tower.
Good call on the CINCH foot stays and belt....Top notch stuff!
You can upgrade a ton with a new (and longer) t-bar and a set of aftermarket wings....They'll fit right in your board and tower....Holes all line up.

I'm too much of a noob to give tuning help or shimming info on what you currently have.

Arm
09-20-2014, 06:45 AM
Be sure you use the Safety Pin that keeps the T-Bar from sinking to the bottom of the sea if the bolts gets loose.

brettw
09-21-2014, 04:16 PM
Be sure you use the Safety Pin that keeps the T-Bar from sinking to the bottom of the sea if the bolts gets loose.

Great advice that I wish I would have gotten from the person who sold me my SS Pro, knowing I was a newbie.

tynakker
09-22-2014, 05:20 PM
Thanks all for the help. I bought a backup safety pin recently - sounds like some get a chance to upgrade the foil before they're quite ready!

tynakker
09-29-2014, 10:43 AM
a 2002 model according to Sky Ski. Great responsive service there! Thanks all!

bremsy
11-11-2014, 08:38 PM
I have the exact same setup that I bought used this year. Great beginner board. But I am wondering which T-bar will fit, since I will probably upgrade to a longer bar, and bigger wings next year. Any suggestions??

Argonaut
12-27-2015, 09:12 AM
What safety pin ? ........ can you explain more, no safety pin on my Standard SS Pro.

woodysdad
12-28-2015, 03:18 PM
The original cast SS Pro's had a "Fork Top" (pictured) at the top of the t-bar....the t-bar was held in the tower with 2 aluminum "donuts" that fit in the "U" shaped opening...2 bolts went into the tower, then through the "donuts", and then out the other side of the tower....2 big thumb screws were used to tighten the t-bar to the tower...the 3rd. hole in your Rock Tower was where the safety clip went...looking at the picture you can see the safety pin hole on the t-bar....it lines up with the 3rd. hole on your Rock Tower.....Your SS billet t-bar is much thinner and has one hole that goes all the way through the t-bar and you have a "half" hole on top......I guess once the t-bar had at least one bolt going all the way through there was no need for a safety clip.