PDA

View Full Version : Front wing position

skyskier
10-20-2008, 04:08 PM
I am riding a LE 38 that I bought new a year ago. I set it up with the Max Air front wing in the rear position. Can anyone tell me what changes I could expect if I move the wing to the forward position?

22-8
10-20-2008, 05:35 PM
From my limited understanding, it would be a bit slower with more pop.

DarthFern
10-20-2008, 07:27 PM
I rode the regular LE set up with the wing in the front position for about a year and then moved it back...

I think you can get good at any wing configuration. However, some wings are better than others.

The reason I rode that way most of the time is that configuration with the front wing all the way forward with the standard SS wings gave me the lift I wanted without any shims, or any more than a +1.

When I moved the wing back the foil seemed to not be 'loosey goosey' as much out in the flats. With such technical terms as 'loosey goosey' you have to understand the dramatic impact. :wink:

It is also my opinion that tbars are breaking from twisting more than wings (big or small) and I think the further the front wing is forward the more torsion force on landings.

Try it! Ride it! And then move it back and compare... is moving the wing forward worth the risk? Do you like how it rides? Etc...

skyskier
10-21-2008, 10:09 AM
I have found the harder I load the line, the harder it is to control foil height. Even in the flats the ride seems a bit twitchy. In other words, I would like to slow things down a bit. If I could find like 10% more control without losing lift I would proclaim my ride to be "dialed". My rear wing (Falcon) is set in the middle. Do you think moving it back would help?

Based on loosey goosey technology, it looks like I should save experimenting with the front wing for last.
I am not worried about making changes. I am just hoping to get pointed in the right direction so I don't waste a bunch of time.

Brad Scott
10-22-2008, 04:20 AM
I've tried both positions many times. I keep going back to the forward position because I do feel it gives me more pop, but also because it takes awhile for me to adjust to the other position. I couldn't really get the shimming just right in the rear position this past summer, and if the shimming is wrong, nothing works well.

But, my experience with myself and others is that the rear position is a little more "swoopy," which works better for gainers and rolls, whereas I do better with the wing in the forward position for front flips and 360s. I know when Mark Stilley moved his from front to rear, he liked the control better.

I think it could make sense to try it both ways -- but make sure the shimming is right and give it some time for you to adjust to it.

That said, I believe I am one of the very few people who ride with the front wing in the front position.

shot
10-22-2008, 07:45 AM
On the G38 setup I prefer to ride on the front position (you have 2 pos. as well)
But it depents on the wings you use also.

skyskier
10-22-2008, 08:51 AM
That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks guys!

Foiler
10-22-2008, 09:07 AM
If you do put it in the forward hole, make sure you plug the one empty hole that is behind the wing. There is a lot of stress in this area and with the hole empty it allows for more flex in this area which leads to fatigue which eventually leads to a broken T-bar. I believe the hole actually flexes when empty. During high stress it goes oval, round, oval, round over and over and over which leads to metal fatique but if it has a plug in it then it can't do that. A 3/8 stainless steel set screw would be ideal but a steel one would do in a pinch.

Hawk
10-22-2008, 10:30 AM
I went from back to front and it made me wait longer for the pop and doesn't respond as fast. I am going to move it back to the back next time out.

skyskier
10-30-2008, 11:46 PM
Last weekend I moved the rear wing back a bit less than 1/4". No other changes. That gave me the extra little bit of control I was looking for. Totally dialed. Thanks for the tips!