Notices

Thread: Video problems

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    You know it's bad when MS runs XP at their office and not Vista.
    What the hell are you talking about?
    Foiltech Pro Team

2. Info 
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    *edited for what you were really thinking.
    Stuff Urban Legends are made of? Or good inside info? Either way doesn't change the fact that Vista was a big failure for MS.

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    Stuff Urban Legends are made of? Or good inside info? Either way doesn't change the fact that Vista was a big failure for MS.
    Urban legends, true. Good inside info, false. Spreading lies to people, true.

I'm not going to defend Vista, but Grumpy's issue is most likely about security settings. Yes, Vista's big feature is security. That's not too sexy and definitely can cause issues with compatability and user experience. Same thing goes with physical security, which is something you definitely know about.

99% of home users have never really had security and Vista is MUCH more secure than XP out of the box. If you want Vista to act like XP, then turn off user account control, put yourself in the administrators groups, change a couple UI settings, and learn about the Compatability tab in the properties menu. Bam.. now you have a shiny, newer, updated version of XP...it's that easy.

But never do this stuff for people that don't have a great understanding of computers -- unsecure home computers (WinXP) is a big reason we have so much spam and identity theft in this world.
    Foiltech Pro Team

4. Lies! 
    IP
    Was not trying to spread any lies Hope you got your Vista woes figured out Grumpy. The Vista comment was tongue and cheek and was based on the fact that when Vista first came out the minimum requirements were such that most PCs at the time did not have the processor power or ram to run smoothly. The ones that do today are bogged down with a bloated OS. As you pointed out Brian, are that way to try to protect users from themselves. If I had a PC that was up to the minimum requirements of Vista or W7 beta I would give it a try. MS needs to get W7 ready for mid year OEM producers and many IT professionals have opted to bypass Vista all together. Working in the public sector I will not be seeing any new hardware for quite sometime with budget cuts. I am sure the private sector is in the same boat. When I install a new OS for family and friends, the first thing I do is Ghost (backup) the hard drive so when they due kill it I can have them back up and running in under an hour!
    Last edited by EricR; 01-13-2009 at 11:27 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12