Notices

Thread: How did you get started foiling?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. How did you get started foiling? 
    IP
    Well their are alot of riders out there and Im just woundering how you got started.
    Ill start...
    My parents a few years back where out at the lake and the rental store had one but wernt aloud to rent its so my parents made a deal with the guy and got an under the counter rental and loved it. After they figured how to get up of course. Then just last year i was tall enough to ride our chair and i just loved the sport.

Whats you story?

IP
    Jake went to work for HO/Hyperlite in the late 1980s. So the first thing I had him get me was an HO Mach1. Then wakeboards came out & we had to have one of those. Then in about 1993 he brought this funky looking thing out called an AirChair. Murphy was in town & they were setting up the board layup. Jake was their first press operator.

Took me like a week to get up on the stupid thing. All the tips we tell people about how to get up & ride..... handle on your knees, elbows straight, look at the boat, lean back, etc. Well, we pretty much came up with them all during that week.

Then in Jan of 1998 Murph was back in town for the Seattle Boat show. He had this new foil. Tuned, nice seat, good belt, foot pads, etc.... with a warranty. We had to have one! He came thru around May of that year. Eight new SkySkis arrived in Seattle for us all.

IP
    Wakeboarded for 4 years and a buddy of mine had been wakeboarding with me. He had a foil for a few years but he was the only one that ever putted around on it every once in a while. Once I committed a day of not wakeboarding to trying to get up on it and was hooked. Shortly after, he converted to full time foiling as well. This was almost 2 years ago (September 2007).

IP
    wake boarded and slolam skied for 20 years,torn the cartiledge in my knee, whip lash etc, then saw this guy renting a sky ski for 50 bucks a day, tried it from sun up to sun down, hooked, line and sinker. knees feel better,,,,,,,now the ribs are taking a beating,. the wake board has been retired

Ah yeah, and Smiley cost me 5 grand for renting me his sky ski

IP
    Water skied when very young....bad back prevented that anymore. Then started riding wakeboards because I could pop up so fast and easy without hurting my back. Then started riding all the time with my nieghbor, he only hydrofoiled....I rode the wakeboard. He tried for about a year and a half to get me to try the skyski. I always said no because I was sure it would hurt my back. Finally after a few people other then my friend told me the skyski was real easy on the back.....I told him I wanted to go ahead and try it. 6 months later I bought my own because I could only skyski if he went out with us, and I wanted to be able to do it all the time. 6 months after that I upgraded again, buying another friends LEX. Now Im fully adicted and spend all my time wishing I was out on the water foiling instead of working. Also made so many more friends along the way....and many of those new friends are now my "Best" friends. I even rode with Murphy once.....and hopefully will again.....what a comic!....I laughed the whole time I was in the boat.

Team Rider
    Airchair Outlaw Tower
    Airchair Carbon Board
    N2orbit Fuse 39 Tbar
    N2orbit Phoenix Front, UFO Rear

AC Belt / Malibu Mark Bindings

Paul

- All the best things in life can be done in the water.

IP
    I'll blame it on Erdmann, Yeti, and F-bomb... Now they can't get rid of me!

Darkaniem
    IP
    Local paper was selling a Used air chair. Heard about them from a friend. I had to have one. I drove 50 miles at 9 pm just to go pick it up. Within a week - bought a sky ski pro (cast). 3 months later bought a ST (billet). 4 months later bought an LE.

I changed jobs end of 07 and moved to Alabama. My brother was sad to see the ski leave. . Was riding on a local lake in Alabama and meet (now) one heck of a family...the Grants. What a fun and nice family this foiling group is!!

IP
    My Brother was touring Europe and night before he was due to fly from Switzerlad to England had a horrific motorbike accident. When we got him home, part of to physical therapy ( now a T6 paraplegic ) was building his strenght. Having both been Windsurfers for many years we both wanted something to do with water. Sporting Wheelies Association of Australia hold ' Come & Try ' days for people with disabilities. He got into waterskiing, trick skiing and the Jump. I went to local ski shop and bought an SS Pro because if he was doing something different then I would as well. Spent 1 year on SS Pro and then bought an 08 FT after spending a day with Robbo and watching the massive air and tricks he does.

Senior Foiler Elite MBF21Tomcat's Avatar
    IP
    My dad's friend Mike at Canyon Lake, CA had one. Went up about 12+ years ago for a ride on his boat. He asked me if I wanted to try it out. I had only seen pictures of it at that time and had no idea what I was getting into. I got up on the second pull and was riding around the lake. I didn't ride again until 3 years ago when I traveled 200 miles to buy one from a guy off the internet. Nothing but fun. Really considering selling my wakeboard/wakeskate as I don't ride them much anymore.

Great topic.

IP
    Thnx its cool seeing what got people started or how they learned about the sport

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast