Notices

Thread: X-Wing Setup/Lift/Quickness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. X-Wing Setup/Lift/Quickness 
    Admin - XTREME Foils XtremeFoils's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    IP
    Definitions:

Lift - The amount of upward force of your foil when riding. The more lift, the more you have to bend over to compensate. The less lift, the more "dead" the ski will feel, but the straighter you can sit up. It also depends on where you have your butt situated on the ski. More forward takes away lift, more back on the seat generates lift.

Quickness - how fast the ski dips and changes direction. Too quick and you are forced to crunch forward when in the air on an invert. Too slow and you cannot get the ski to take off steep enough - really apparent on front flips.

_______

Adjusting lift:

It is IMPERATIVE that you get the lift set right with these new wings. If there isn't enough lift, they ride "dull" which basically means they don't really feel much different than an old-school wing. BUT, if you get the lift set properly, you will know it instantly. It WANTS to eject your butt out of the water, and there is a ton of power waiting for you to give it the word.

How do you tell if you have enough lift? I always tell people to ride with as much lift as they can comfortably handle. That means when you are cutting out to the flats hard, you will have to lean over slightly to keep the board at an even height off the water, but not so much that your chest is on your knees. You should learn to ride with some foot pressure all the time which basically sets the ski up to eject you instantly when you are ready to dip. (that's what we are going for)

So, if you can cut out hard and still sit straight up, or the board stays close to the water or bounces off the water the whole time you are cutting, you probably don't have enough lift.

To add lift, you always work with the rear wing. Never shim your front wing or you will introduce a ton of drag.

ADDING MORE LIFT:
    To add lift, you increase the space between the front of the REAR wing and the fuselage (add a dime/shim/credit card piece to the front of the rear wing).

DECREASING LIFT:
    To decrease lift, you increase the space between the rear of the rear wing and the fuselage.

These wings are very reactive, so a dime might be too much of a change. I usually tell people to cut up credit cards and stack them if need be. But your best bet is to use a shim kit (SkySki, DRGergler, XTREME Foils sells them). Most shims are notated in degrees these days. .25 degrees, .5 degrees, .75 degrees, all the way up to 2.00 degrees. This makes it very easy to change lift. If you need more, just put in the next biggest number. Need less lift? Drop to the next smallest number. Most shim kits are reversible also - so thicker part in the front of the rear wing and you are adding lift. Rotate the shim so the thicker part is in the back of the rear wing, and you are decreasing lift. Remember, ALWAYS find the longest bolts that fit when you are shimming your ski. I've had way too many customers lose a rear wing because their bolts weren't long enough and they got pulled out on a trick.

Different water will have different lift characteristics. Don't ever try to adjust to the ski. Take the first run on a new lake and make sure your ski is the way you want it - that takes that variable out of the equation so you can enjoy your ride and not have to constantly adjust to a different riding ski.

_____
    Adjusting quickness

There is a difference between lift and quickness. Quickness refers to how quickly the foil dips and comes back up for the launch (how steep you can take off, etc). If your ski feels "slow" (hard to dip), you slide the rear wing forward towards the front wing. (shorten the wheelbase) If it seems crazy fast (dips very easy, very steep takeoffs, but you seem to always be hunched forward trying to "catch up" with the ski on your inverts), you slide it backward (lengthen the wheelbase).

Sliding the rear wing forward and backward does change the lift slightly, but never adjust for lift by sliding the rear wing. Always shim to adjust for lift.

That should get you started. PLEASE take the 20 minutes or so to get your ski dialed on your first run before you go off and "test" the wings. You need to get those set to your style of riding, or they will not work the way you want them too. Once you get the quickness set, you shouldn't have to adjust it between water. When you get the lift/quickness set, hold on for dear life... you are going to see why we are all going crazy over these bigger/badder wings.
    Last edited by XtremeFoils; 12-03-2015 at 09:37 AM.

Bryan - "Shuey" Foilmacher

2008/2009 USA Waterski Innovator of the Year!!!

IP
    Great write up Bry.....

Wow..... 10.25 from the rear of the M3 to the front of the falcon.
    I measured mine and its 9 1/8

I'll put it at 10.25

Here's what I did today
    -Wing distance 9 1/8
    -Sky ski +1 shim
    -First ride on EVO tower
    My ski was a mess....It had lots of lift and was very uncontrollable.Took the +1 shim out and the ski rode almost dead.

Did I mention the 3 foot rollers and every Wally in IL was within .5 mile of my boat and lots of Debris floating.
    It was not a good day

Next ride out(this week) I'm going to
    -Wing distance 10.25
    -As far as lift---??????

I need suggestion Bry.

IP
    I just moved the rear wing as far back as it would go.I measured 10.00 from the rear of M3 to the front of the Falcon.
    GY38 T-bar

Blog Entries
    IP
    Yeti,

Yep, that was the same with the GY38 bar we rode in Florida. So just have it all the way to the back and you'll be fine. Geno needs to either put another set of holes in the rear or move the holes back a little to allow more movement. But he's used to the AirChair "quickness" so it probably isn't a problem at all for him. For the rest of us, it's just a tiny bit too quick. But you will be good - it rode AWESOME in Florida all the way back.

As for lift - I think we rode with no shim down there. Depends on water, but that should be close I would think. (Moving the rear wing back also adds lift, so it should even out pretty good by moving back and taking out the +1) You want lift though, so if it doesn't have enough, put that +1 back in. You want that thing ready to eject you when you dip.

IP
    Thanks Bry..

I think I made too many changes at once also and paid the price.I got my ass handed to me today on the water.
    Next time one change at a time.
    I can't wait to get out again and put today behind me.I'll try your tips.

Later Yeti

IP
    OK... got out this last weekend with the changes Bry said.I move the rear wing all the way back 10.00 and added a .030 shim for more lift.

WOW!!!what a differance the ski was very stable and had just alittle to much lift.So I took out the .030 and put in a .015 in its place.I like this setup alot.Now I can see all the power theses wings have.
    Can't wait too get out again.

Foilforum Addict
    IP
    anyone remember the wing positions on the GY38 Tbar
    M3 on front back bolts ?
    F on back bolts ?
    slider Position ?
    all - all the way back?
    thx for any imput here to save wing adjustment time by testing

[quote=XtremeFoils;2528]Yeti,
    Yep, that was the same with the GY38 bar we rode in Florida. So just have it all the way to the back and you'll be fine. Geno needs to either put another set of holes in the rear or move the holes back a little to allow more movement. But he's used to the AirChair "quickness" so it probably isn't a problem at all for him. For the rest of us, it's just a tiny bit too quick. But you will be good - it rode AWESOME in Florida all the way back.
    [quote]

Blog Entries
    IP
    Yes, you want the front wing in the back holes, and the rear wing slid all the way back. At least that's where it worked for us.

Bryan

Foilforum Addict
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeFoils View Post
    Yes, you want the front wing in the back holes, and the rear wing slid all the way back. At least that's where it worked for us.
    Well the rear wing has two hole sets as well + the nice slider will get some
    adjustment. I will try to start with at the 10.25 rule.
    Can't wait for the weekend.

Foilforum Addict
    IP
    captured and placed in the completed tutorials section.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast