Notices

Thread: Another first ride away!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Another first ride away! 
    IP
    Another first.

Chris had been real close last time he rode, almost a year ago. Tamen and I gave him a little coaching about the cut/line tension stuff, and on his second pull, he rode it away!

Capt's Seat
    LE Board
    FT37
    Mach III
    Falcon
    Cinch throughout

IP
    The first one is the best feeling. GOOD JOB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wakeandahalf, You have a very interesting home page to say the least. Thanks for sharing it.

IP
    Best part about it was that he did it on our rig first, then went and did it again, on his ONE YEAR tarnished SS Pro. Thanks again, Darth.
    Capt's Seat
    LE Board
    FT37
    Mach III
    Falcon
    Cinch throughout

Reverse Scorpion Professional WakeSeeky's Avatar
    IP
    Just being in the boat for a first rocks!

Way to go, Chris!

IP
    It is the best feeling landing your first. Congrats

2012 Foiltech 40
    2013 FoilTech Death Blade II
    2013 FTR Rear
    2015 XAir Tower
    2015 XAir Black Board
    2015 Malibu Make Bindings

www.utahhydrofoiling.com

Am I pissing you off-fuh-fuh?

hydrofoilmaniac
    IP
    Great job!!

Darkaniem
    IP
    Way to go.

IP
    We managed another one, another rider, really ready for the gainer, and after 3 pulls, got him landing it....

Video to follow...
    Capt's Seat
    LE Board
    FT37
    Mach III
    Falcon
    Cinch throughout

Senior Foiler Elite Wh1pl45h5m1l3's Avatar
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by wakeandahalf View Post
    We managed another one, another rider, really ready for the gainer, and after 3 pulls, got him landing it....

Video to follow...
    Do you take appointments??? I can really use some experienced coaching, but don't have the luxury of any other experienced riders within 5 hours drive. I've got about 12 hours of behind the boat time this summer and several hundred crashes trying to ride away from a gainer. I've been pretty motivated, taking my lumps and bruises with a smile in hopes of getting lucky, but it's really starting to grind on me now. I'm past the landing on my head and the face plants; getting a good jump--not hucking the flip; getting better at squaring up and managing the line tension. My problem now is that I almost always get sent into a second rotation. I'm spotting the water, coming around, things are looking good.... foil hits the water and almost instantly launches me into a second rotation without the board even touching the water.... then of course, I usually land on my head or back. Other thing that happens is I don't quite get squared up with the boat before throwing the trick, too much line tension while in the air and it pulls me back into the boat mid rotation and I get pulled out the side. I know video would help, but with the wife driving and the 9 year old flagging, the 5 year isn't quite ready to run the equipment yet. Any tips you can offer to avoid the dreaded second rotation? (Air gainer in flats, Boat Speed 18-19, 60' rope, decent jump approx. 3', generally slow and controlled rotation).

Thanks,
    J.D.

Reverse Scorpion Professional WakeSeeky's Avatar
    IP
    If he was all that good, I'd be doing gainers too.

Seriously, one thing I can pass on as a driver, have your wife turn the boat towards you as you start the gainer. As you come around, she should steer the boat back on to a straight track. This throws some slack into the rope and makes it easier for you to keep the handle in. It's easy to drive this bump, because you can see what your rider is doing and you don't have to mess with the throttle. More turn in = more slack. More turn out = take up slack for ride away. A little help on your first couple landings really seems to help, then you probably won't need it anymore. (And big thanks to Jake and Dave for sharing that one!) I can drive 'em, I just can't figure out how to do 'em myself.

Whereabouts in Western Colorado? I have family in Grand Junction, we make it up that way from time to time. I know for a fact you can be here in 7 hours.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast