Notices

Thread: Another first ride away!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    IP
    From the riders (well, this rider's) perspective, I find that over-rotation is a function of a couple of things. The cut out and the head rotation. They feel connected, in that if I take a fast cut, with almost no wait at the end of the cut, I had best just glance up. If I go out a bit slower, wait a bit at the end of the cut, a more significant 'look up' will still get me around. More to follow...

The rig may make a difference, and I think it is important to remember that one of our guys went from our rig, detailed below, back to his unpolished pro, and did it again.
    Last edited by wakeandahalf; 07-07-2008 at 05:57 PM.
    Capt's Seat
    LE Board
    FT37
    Mach III
    Falcon
    Cinch throughout

IP
    Way to get it done!

Practice helps a lot!

Senior Foiler Elite Wh1pl45h5m1l3's Avatar
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeSeeky View Post
    as a driver, have your wife turn the boat towards you as you start the gainer. As you come around, she should steer the boat back on to a straight track. This throws some slack into the rope and makes it easier for you to keep the handle in.

Whereabouts in Western Colorado? I have family in Grand Junction, we make it up that way from time to time. I know for a fact you can be here in 7 hours.
    Thanks for the driver tip, we'll try that next time out.

I live about 15 miles south of Grand Junction--a little town called Whitewater. If you happen to make it out to CO or even to Lake Powell, look me up. I'll do the same.

Senior Foiler Elite Wh1pl45h5m1l3's Avatar
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by wakeandahalf View Post
    I find that over-rotation is a function of a couple of things. The cut out and the head rotation. They feel connected, in that if I take a fast cut, with almost no wait at the end of the cut, I had best just glance up. If I go out a bit slower, wait a bit at the end of the cut, a more significant 'look up' will still get me around.
    I'll admit that I haven't mastered line tension control. The fast cuts with little or no wait before throwing the trick usually get me pulled back into the boat and out the side. I tend to take a little more time to square up with the boat (seems like an eternity at times), get my handle to the side, and then initiate the trick. I don't feel like I'm over-rotating--not like I was early on in the process when I tended to force the flip at the expense of a good jump. The rotation usually feels under contol, I'm looking up, tucking my knees, spotting the water, the foil is coming down and hitting the water underneath me (not landing tail heavy or on my back--on the first flip anyway)... Then something I'm doing on the landing is telling the foil to launch back out of the water again... Do you think I might be keeping the handle too low on the landing? Body position too far back on landing? Pushing on my feet during the landing? Who knows, I could still forcing the flip...except I've done it wrong so many times now that it feels under control. I'll work on getting some video. Until then, if anyone has got any nuggets to share, I'm listening attentively.

Thanks,
    J.D.

Blog Entries
    IP
    I had the same problem with my dismounts a few weeks ago. It was fun to watch from the boat and the people on the docks liked it too. I tried to slow the rotation down until I wasn't making it around, then I speeded it up a little. It still wasn't consistant, so I tried the grab under my knees, and just to see what would happen, I pulled my knees to my chest on the way up, and everyone I did like that I landed, and they were all exactly the same with no bounce. That was what I was looking for so when I hold the rope, I can concentrate on that and not everything else that is happening. It got my body in front of the T bar, and seperated the jump from the flip, those two things seem to be everyones big problems.

D

IP
    TX,

Quick, start holding on, you are there!
    Capt's Seat
    LE Board
    FT37
    Mach III
    Falcon
    Cinch throughout

IP
    Wh1p,

I would almost say that you are pulling your feet, to re-initiate. I usually (when I ride it away) come up in my usual riding position, a bit forward of the bar.
    Capt's Seat
    LE Board
    FT37
    Mach III
    Falcon
    Cinch throughout

Reverse Scorpion Professional WakeSeeky's Avatar
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1pl45h5m1l3 View Post
    Thanks for the driver tip, we'll try that next time out.

I live about 15 miles south of Grand Junction--a little town called Whitewater. If you happen to make it out to CO or even to Lake Powell, look me up. I'll do the same.
    We've got to go back there in August, but I don't have a date yet. Once we figure out our schedule, maybe we can carve out an extra day for some riding, I'll keep you posted.

IP
    come over to Nationals from July 17-20th!

ushanationals.com

Reverse Scorpion Professional WakeSeeky's Avatar
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by AlisonG View Post
    come over to Nationals from July 17-20th!

ushanationals.com
    I so wish we could. We had planned to, but some other things have come up this summer. It's penciled in for next year, though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast