Notices

Thread: National Standings/Ranking List

1. National Standings/Ranking List 
    Darkaniem
    IP
    National Standings/Ranking List??

Recently the 2010 Video comp results were released and I wondered how it ties into the other Standings. Then I thought – I’m not sure I have even seen a Ranking list.

So with that I - I guess I have a couple of questions regarding competitions, rankings and such.

-Is there currently a point system in place for a “National Standing/Ranking” for the Hydrofoiling Community?

-How do all of the competitions nationwide tie into each other (point system)?

-Does an individual have to qualify to be able to go to NATIONALS? Or should they?

-What if the only Comp an individual does go to is Nationals….. AND they happen to take 1st place in their division – Will they still hold that “National Champion Title” even if they don’t compete again? Is that fair? What about all those other people who do Travel and take 1st here and there with or some 2nd or 3rd places. How do they get Ranked? Or do they?

Just thought I would ask. Maybe there is a list/Ranking system in place. I just don’t know about it.

Thoughts?

IP
    There is a problem currently (it seems) with the page at hydrofoil.org -- I am pretty sure all the answers to your questions are normally found there, but for some reason - it's not working (BRAD??)

-Is there currently a point system in place for a “National Standing/Ranking” for the Hydrofoiling Community?
    Yes, there is. Details will be on the page when the hydrofoil.org site is working again.

-How do all of the competitions nationwide tie into each other (point system)?
    Again, the details are on the non-working page, but each of the "approved" competitions, Nationals, Spring Fling, Last Fling to Spring and the Video comp all carry
    a percentage towards your national rank. Your placement in any competition gives you points towards the national ranking. Obviously competing in as many as you
    can is important towards your overall score, and doing well is also very important!

-Does an individual have to qualify to be able to go to NATIONALS? Or should they?
    No - at this time, we don't have enough competitions in place to warrant this. Pay the money - take the ride. It's an ongoing
    debate about the qualifying, but the bottom line is - we just don't have the number of riders competing, nor do we have enough
    groups willing to put on events/competitions that could be used for this qualification (Trust me, it's quite a bit of work).

-What if the only Comp an individual does go to is Nationals….. AND they happen to take 1st place in their division – Will they still hold that “National Champion Title” even if they don’t compete again? Is that fair? What about all those other people who do Travel and take 1st here and there with or some 2nd or 3rd places. How do they get Ranked? Or do they?
    It sort of depends. Since each of those other competitions have a factor (Nationals is still the highest scoring competition) - I guess it's conceivable the
    rider that only goes to Nationals, but nothing else, could be moved lower by someone taking 2nd or 3rd in the Nationals - but doing first place in the other comps.
    It's all about the combined score (and the percentages that I wish I could see right now - on the page I have mentioned several times).

Does this help?
    Todd
    08 Supra, 24 SSV Gravity Games

"Look everyone, my crown has a GECKO!"

IP
    I actually got the rankings page from last year:

http://hydrofoil.org/Rankings2009.html

Look around on this page, but it includes this statement:

The posted results are calculate as follows:
    80% Weighting based on: Pro Nationals Placing(1-4), then Outlaw Nationals Placing(1-6), then Open Nationals Placing(1-4).
    20% Weighting based on: Pro Video Competition(1-3), then Outlaw Video Competition(1-3), then Open Video Competition(1-3).
    This doesn't tell the entire story - and I think when you can see the rest of the data at the hydrofoil.org site, you will see what I mean.

As an example, winning first place at a competition grants you "100 points" -- 2nd place gets you "80 points" and so on. These are then weighed, but the
    above rating, and the overall score is then calculated.

08 Supra, 24 SSV Gravity Games

"Look everyone, my crown has a GECKO!"

Senior Foiler Elite
    IP
    This is the breakout for 2010

60% USHA Nationals, 20% USHA Video Competition, 10% JAX Spring & 10% JAX Fall Fling.

Darkaniem
    IP
    That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much.

IP
    Anyone know when the 2010 rankings will be posted?
    Remember...It's not HOW you DO, It's HOW you LOOK when you're doing it!!!

Wake Boat Outfitters

Sponsored by:
    TEAM HYDROFOIL
    Samson Sports
    http://www.samsonsports.com

Senior Foiler Elite
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidude View Post
    Anyone know when the 2010 rankings will be posted?
    We're almost there...