Notices

Thread: Springsuits....

1. Springsuits.... 
    IP
    Looking at springsuits for next year and there doesnt seem to be any 3/2 springsuits anymore. All are 2mm with a special material on chest and back. Is this the new equivelent in warmth to a 3/2 suit?

Team Rider
    Airchair Outlaw Tower
    Airchair Carbon Board
    N2orbit Fuse 39 Tbar
    N2orbit Phoenix Front, UFO Rear

AC Belt / Malibu Mark Bindings

Paul

- All the best things in life can be done in the water.

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Queen View Post
    Looking at springsuits for next year and there doesnt seem to be any 3/2 springsuits anymore. All are 2mm with a special material on chest and back. Is this the new equivelent in warmth to a 3/2 suit?
    http://www.aleeda.com/wetsuit_store.asp?scPage=1&catID=2

T
    hey are having their factory sale Friday and Saturday!

Blog Entries
    IP
    I've had an Oneil longsleeve Gooru for 7 or 8 years and I love it. I stay in it in the Spring until it's too hot to wear. I know some of the newer full suits are much warmer because they are getting better at keeping the water out which allows them to use thinner neoprene, I don't know why they would do that in a springsuit though.

IP
    I have a newer 3/2 shorty and it is plenty warm. My 3/2 long suit is DAMN warm with a pair of 3mil neoprene booties, almost to the point of not needing a drysuit in the fall. The drysuit will get a workout in the spring just because it takes so damn long for the water to warm up.

IP
    I cant find any namebrand springsuit in 3/2. They all seem to be 2mm now. That is weird.

Team Rider
    Airchair Outlaw Tower
    Airchair Carbon Board
    N2orbit Fuse 39 Tbar

Paul

IP
    I gave up and bought a 2mm. Hope it will be warm enough.

Team Rider
    Airchair Outlaw Tower
    Airchair Carbon Board
    N2orbit Fuse 39 Tbar

Paul

IP
    yea I had a tough time as well trying to find a 3/2 spring suit. As you said I dont think they make them anymore.. I had no problem finding a 3/2 full suit but the springs were impossible.. If you really think about it though, a spring suit has only a foot or so of leg and arm so it doesnt really matter that much if that foot is 3 or 2 mills. Your going to get most of your warmth from your core which would have been in a 2 mil anyways

My spring suit is a Body Glove and its plenty warm for the times I use it. Granted if its too cold for it I just use the full suit. I think its just best to have both to be safe..

What brand did you end up getting?

IP
    I think you have it backwards Bugdude....the core is usually 3mm and the arms were 2mm for more flexibility...right? Thats why Im wondering if it will be warm enough....thinking my old springs were 3mm cores and now going to 2mm. If Tx Foilhead is right and the newer suits seal better then the older 3/2s did, then thats possibly why they decided 2mm was enough??? Anyway I ordered the Xcel SLX, some of the reasons I chose it were:

The entire suit is made of superstretch neoprene ( some of the suits like Oneill Reactor were only superstretch neoprene in arms ), also hoping the superstretch neoprene means it will seal tighter and flush less.....would mean a warmer suit.
    Its 2mm throughout, some I looked at ( oneill hammer ) were 2/1 instead of 2mm throughout. Im not picking on Oneill here....I use the Oneill Hybrid drysuit and love it, just didnt feel there springs were what i wanted.
    Also I got it in Grey with the black chest and back panels....so the suit is primarily grey which will make it easy to spot my suit in the boat when theres alot of crap everywhere....since most people have black suits that all look the same...mine will stand out....plus I think it looks cool in gray and black.
    Adjustable neck seal....Im hoping that means I can cinch the neck seal nice and tight to seal better and flush less.

I looked at every name brand I could find online and the Xcel was the most appealing to me...although the body glove was pretty close too, and the Oneill's just didnt seam to be what I wanted, even though I have other Oneill products which I really like. ( I have Oneill gloves too ). There were some that would probably be better suits...I think Akoona had one, and also the Oneill gooru....but to get the extra features I liked in those suits it was more then double the price, and I cant see spending $200 on a springsuit. So thats the story. If you want to see it heres a link to the Xcel suit I ordered....the first link has the better list of its features....the second link is less info but shows it in the Grey and Black which is the one I bought:

http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/page...suits/MX21SLX1
    http://beckersurf.com/xcel/49mx21slx1sss

Team Rider
    Airchair Outlaw Tower
    Airchair Carbon Board
    N2orbit Fuse 39 Tbar

Paul