Notices

Thread: Air Technique

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Air Technique 
    IP
    Air technique. The purpose of this thread is to help people get the proper take off and have a video to study and a place to post video and/or ask questions on their own riding. The video shows a boat camera view followed by the same trick shot from a Go Pro on the tip of my board. The tricks shown in order are: air roll (51 frames), ole/glide (49 frames), switch front flip (55 frames), and wake roll (59 frames). Note the frame counts are based on my camera.
    You will notice that the take-offs look very similar, regardless if it is an air roll or ole/glide. This is because the base technique of all take-offs is the same.
    1. Pendulum cut (to or way from the wake). This technique builds line tension. Have your arms out and elbows off the ribs (get rid of those alligator arms).
    2. Arc to take-off- This is probably the most important part of the take-off. Use the line tension to dip down (yes dip down). Watch how my arms are out and then during the arc, I decrease my pendulum angle, dip down with my arms out using the line and begin to pull through the board touching the water AND after the board hits. NOTE: I do not ever pull up on my knees or feet. My back is in line with the strut and then I pull myself forward with the line.
    3. Pull yourself forward (crunch) and get your chest and body in front of the strut. Have a straight back, do not have a ‘C’.
    4. Remember going big is only part of the trick, being smooth about it and making it look easy is the ultimate prize!

I will be monitoring this thread and giving feedback on posted video of your tricks and/or answering questions- other folks are welcome to add in too. I figured it would be easier for me to monitor this one thread for coaching tips. I hope this helps!

Blog Entries
    IP
    Great info/video Fern.
    KO

IP
    Great tip Ferney I am a new rider. Here is a video from yesterday any tips would be great. I need more air for sure.

IP
    Nice work! After seeing the vid, I would recommend working on two things:

1) Arc to take-off: You cut out fine (pendulum) and when you arc to take-off you straighten out even with the boat and lose all your line. You will notice how the foil rises up and you have throw your chest forward to fight it. SO cut out and as you arc to take-off keep line tension (use that to dip forward)- initiate the dip sooner.
    2) Use two hands on the rope until you are in the air. This will help with #1. Right now, you are using momentum to get around and not line (your back is behind the strut when you see the wings exit the water).

Does this help? Let me know if you need clarification.

IP
    thanks for taking the time to help me Furney. I will try it next time out.

IP
    Still amazes me that the best riders on the planet are willing to help out with analyzing video and giving tips to us regular folks. Thanks for doing this for us Ferny....your the man.

Team Rider
    Airchair Outlaw Tower
    Airchair Carbon Board
    N2orbit Fuse 39 Tbar
    N2orbit Phoenix Front, UFO Rear

AC Belt / Malibu Mark Bindings

Paul

- All the best things in life can be done in the water.

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Queen View Post
    Still amazes me that the best riders on the planet are willing to help out with analyzing video and giving tips to us regular folks. Thanks for doing this for us Ferny....your the man.
    Ditto. You have no idea how much us mere mortals appreciate you guys sharing tips and whatnot.

IP
    Fern, Do you think you might be able to put together a short video explaining the "arc-to take off" in detail, maybe sitting in a chair talking us through it. The far away camera angle and the film speed make it really hard to see the nuances.

Reverse Scorpion Professional janked's Avatar
    IP
    I second the chair idea. Without slowing down the video more, it is hard to tell exactly what is happening. Information in that format could be really helpful in helping us visualize what to do. Fern, I am also curious how you set your lift and wheelbase?

IP
    Last edited by Jay; 11-07-2014 at 08:55 AM.

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast