Notices

Thread: Air Technique

Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFern View Post
    First off, very nice work so far. Just work and master one thing at a time (ok, maybe two). A couple of thoughts:
    1) Arm position. At the most critical moment during the dip and just after the board touches the water (during the 'turn') after the arc to dip, pause the video. It is clear that you have alligator arms and/or have one hand on the hand. However, at this moment, with the line load, you shouldn't be able to have alligator arms. The line tension should have been progressively built to the point your arms are out because they have to be. The only way to take off with alligator arms is to lose line and/or let the board slip away and not stay in line with your body.
    2) Stay forward. After the arc to dip and the 'turn' (board coming up), pull your chest forward (use the line to do this).

Just two things to work on. Get some film and post.
    Awesome! Thanks so much for the tips and response. I'll work on this and post back, hopefully with some improved technique.

IP
    Anything that you see that would get me higher? I been hitting 50-53 consistent but want more! The B@C'S are new the last week any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. http://youtu.be/fZ3O3xf7X2Y
    Air Chair Dealer!

3. IP
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys1999 View Post
    Anything that you see that would get me higher? I been hitting 50-53 consistent but want more! The B@C'S are new the last week any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. http://youtu.be/fZ3O3xf7X2Y
    Looking very good!! Nice job on the bnc's. As far as adding frames go to the wake back roll, your arms are at your waist on take off. A fully loaded line during the arc to dip does not allow you to have your arms in. Concentrate on having the most line as you dip and take off. Does that make sense?

IP
    Makes sense straight arms = more line! I'll give it a shot thanks Ben.
    Air Chair Dealer!

5. Reverse Scorpion Professional JasonRMorrow's Avatar
    IP
    Alright first day with my $0 tower mount. I'm pretty happy with it, needs some tweaking but not bad for V1.
    Rolls 1 and 3 are my best/biggest on camera, #2 shows my common bad habit. Just started doing a 1 wake cross.
    I seem to be about 34-35 frames, my Self Diagnosis:

1 - back behind the strut at takeoff (I knew this was an issue and tried to fix it today with extending arms during dip and pulling in to get chest forward while rising but couldn't time it right)
    2 - no power getting to the wings (seems like I just "slip out" rather than power up or ride the wings out of the water. (will this be fixed once #1 is fixed?)
    3 - handle gets way too high mid roll (should be stuck to my right hip, stay compact, don't open up)

I think I have a good cut and dip for some good height but don't put any power to the wings. I'm trying to push the board out or pump the swing, forcing myself not to pull up on my feet to jump but I feel like I can't get the quick V shape without leaning back, and then pulling up on my feet or crunching seems to be the easiest way to get in front of the strut again.

Thanks for the help - 22mph, 63F water, wind, waves, and a drysuit already! Sorry for the wind noise on camera.

IP
    This is what you need to work on fixing now. Less lift on cut will maintain greater foot pressure and line load. It's scary to think about doing the trick while on cut. Think about it like this. You don't need to be ON CUT but you need to at least BE CUTTING. You are coasting. I can see it in the line (rope bends) and in your body (weight on feet to keep board down).

Because you are coasting you have to lean over to combat lift. Once you feel like lift is under control you initiate the trick. But you throw your dip so hard because you think you need to get your body way back to do a flip. Once you add some line tension you won't have to move your body so much to go steep. DON'T RUSH THE DIP.

CUTTING with arms out, elbows down.
    DIP your feet forward and towards the path of travel.
    POP your feet straight over the top. Spot the sky then the water then the horizon. Murphey says he spots the nose of the board. This helps keep you forward on the pop.

Don't put the handle to your hip on rolls. Keep it out and between you and the boat. Putting the handle in will rotate the tip away from the path of travel and can also speed up rotation.

Trick #

Trick

7. Reverse Scorpion Professional JasonRMorrow's Avatar
    IP
    Found a video of my first roll attempt after Pine Lake where I learned the trick. I stayed on cut better back then. Bad habits come back so quickly. Initiate on cut, don't rush the dip, let the trick happen, land it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. IP
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRMorrow View Post
    Found a video of my first roll attempt after Pine Lake where I learned the trick. I stayed on cut better back then. Bad habits come back so quickly. Initiate on cut, don't rush the dip, let the trick happen, land it. Thanks.

Jason,

Nice work! One approach to stay forward AFTER the boards hits the water is to think about putting the 'cutting' shoulder towards the boat. For example, if cutting out to the passenger side (right to left), after the pendulum (aka. cut) and you arc to dip (dip the board with line tension... no slack), push your left shoulder toward the boat. This will open your hips and put your chest over your knees and is a power position to help take the line tension and go up. In the end, the key is to not lean back and let momentum and the foil take you up. You want to be in a position where the line pulls up. The opposite if you are doing a trick passenger to driver (wake or air). Does this make sense?

9. Reverse Scorpion Professional JasonRMorrow's Avatar
    IP
    Ben, thanks for the new approach, makes sense, could turn into carnage on the first attempt. I know what is supposed to happen but having a tough time making it happen so I was looking for a different thought. I was actually trying to extend my arms and then pull myself forward which, with no line tension, I just leaned back (nothing to pull on for leverage).

After the board touches and the foil is on the way up, what and where should I be feeling "power" or the line tension increasing?

On the bottom of my feet? Through my arms? In the seat? Once I get forward and lock my core do I just hold that position or do I add some foot pressure to try to "stop the boat"? I've only felt a good pop a couple times so I can't recall what I was feeling.

As I visualize I think it should be mostly through my arms and core to the seat to load up the wings. Adding downward foot pressure would flatten out the wings. I feel like the thought of jumping with my butt would be powerful.

10. IP
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFern View Post
    Jason,

Nice work! One approach to stay forward AFTER the boards hits the water is to think about putting the 'cutting' shoulder towards the boat. For example, if cutting out to the passenger side (right to left), after the pendulum (aka. cut) and you arc to dip (dip the board with line tension... no slack), push your left shoulder toward the boat. This will open your hips and put your chest over your knees and is a power position to help take the line tension and go up. In the end, the key is to not lean back and let momentum and the foil take you up. You want to be in a position where the line pulls up. The opposite if you are doing a trick passenger to driver (wake or air). Does this make sense?
    Ben,
    Are you twisting at the waist to push your shoulder toward the boat while stile maintaining angle away from wake? Is this to create a broader base to use the tension rather than it pull you from one side and potentially off axis?

steve

gear and end of the rope - endoftherope
    personal site including foiling videos and pictures - http://blmeanie.weebly.com/bluemedia.html

"Pop it when you feel it"

Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast