Notices

Thread: Air Technique

Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
  1. IP
    Quote Originally Posted by blmeanie View Post
    Ben,
    Are you twisting at the waist to push your shoulder toward the boat while stile maintaining angle away from wake? Is this to create a broader base to use the tension rather than it pull you from one side and potentially off axis?

steve
    Steve,

The concept is to counter rotate so you are in a great position to use the line (or play tug o war) with the boat after the board hits the water. Try this: freeze frame yourself and others as the boards hits and after then look to see the position of the rider against the boat or using the line.

Hope this helps,

Ben

IP
    OK arc to dip do I cut hard and in the dip square with the boat? i don't thnk i fully understand that term.

Air Chair Dealer!

3. IP
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys1999 View Post
    OK arc to dip do I cut hard and in the dip square with the boat? i don't thnk i fully understand that term.

Awesome work! Going BIG!

It is a progressive cut so that the most line you have is during the dip (pendulum cut= build line and arc to dip= using than line to go up). It isn't about squaring up to the boat as much as using the line to pull you up. For example, doing a wake front flip, cutting super hard out at the flats and squaring up at the boat is not the answer. Beginning the pendulum cut out wide and building up line tension at the wake IS key. However, with no arc to dip you have too much line and it is across the wake (so that you won't go up). Does that help?

IP
    perfect! so I don't need to cut way out and let the boat catch up if i am understanding correct. I will work on the arc cause I do find myself going farther out then up. How much lift do you run on your ski? just want to say thank you for taking the time to help me Ben.
    Air Chair Dealer!

5. IP
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys1999 View Post
    perfect! so I don't need to cut way out and let the boat catch up if i am understanding correct. I will work on the arc cause I do find myself going farther out then up. How much lift do you run on your ski? just want to say thank you for taking the time to help me Ben.
    Cut out and let the boat catch up so the line is tight. Then begin a slow cut and get progressively more aggressive so the most line you have during the cut is during the dip. Most riders cut hard at the beginning and then let up.

I run between -.5 and -1.0 on the Stache/Venom (prototype). Keep up the great work!

IP
    I have found that too much lift make my air rolls suffer. Body position is off enough keep me from getting the ski steep in the flats.

IP
    I made this video for everyone to use and also to show people how I see film. Sometimes I use a capture software and download the video so I can study and slow down the clips. Having a visual in my mind before riding and even before going to bed helps fix issues and spot issues right away.

8. IP
    I love to hear about people who stay up nights thinking about foiling, going over stuff in the head over & over - makes me think I have less of a problem...

Also thanks for starting this thread and all who contribute to it. I have read every single post & am trying to process & implement it all. Its been a great help and i think will be more help in the future as I progress & more things start clicking.

9. Reverse Scorpion Professional JasonRMorrow's Avatar
    IP
    Great video Jay, thanks for putting it together. It will be a long winter studying film for me and coming out next spring with a plan.
    I need to rework my dip, I lean too far back when I push my feet forward. I think I'm taking the "pump the swing" a little too literally.
    I need to initiate the dip with my feet moving out but concentrate more on keeping my hips and upper body locked in at the same time.

Too much of this!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05222010+004a.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	11054

Name:	Happiness+is+1b.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	11053
    Last edited by JasonRMorrow; 11-07-2014 at 07:17 PM.

10. IP
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRMorrow View Post
    Great video Jay, thanks for putting it together. It will be a long winter studying film for me and coming out next spring with a plan.
    I need to rework my dip, I lean too far back when I push my feet forward. I think I'm taking the "pump the swing" a little too literally.
    I need to initiate the dip with my feet moving out but concentrate more on keeping my hips and upper body locked in at the same time.

Too much of this!

Name:	05222010+004a.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	11054
    Jason,

If there was an easy way to not lean back to flip everyone would do it! Those pictures do help capture the problem most riders have in photo number 1. Body position is more important than line tension to start. Line tension coupled with photo 1= bad news. Photo 2 no tension means less air but good rotation. Then build line tension into photo 2. Thanks for sharing!

Ben

Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast