Notices

Thread: New to the Forum. Not New to Foiling. Fun intro to share about UK foiling origins!

1. New to the Forum. Not New to Foiling. Fun intro to share about my UK foiling origins! 
    Face Planting Noob
    IP
    Hello all,
    I am originally for the UK, but now travel extensively around the world with my job. I have been foiling for years, our family was one of the first to buy an original Air Chair for UK use after my father first saw it on a program called "Tomorrow's World". I distinctly remember seeing him jump up and down screaming "I WANT ONE, I WANT ONE!!!!!". Immediately after the program he called the BBC and after a lot of haggling over the phone (no internet in those days!) he got the details of Mike Murphy and arranged a meeting with him (he was still in the UK at the time). We met with him on the south coast where he was demonstrating and also teaching people to learn. At this stage i was still too young as my feet weren't long enough to fit the bindings from the tower! I had to watch (green with envy) as my elder brother managed to get up. My father placed an order and we received the old black and purple beast a couple of months later!

The story doesn't end there...

The next year (i think anyway, so long ago now). Mike was back in the UK demo'ing the Air Chair again, this time at our local lakes called Tallington Lakes. The club boat broke down, and Mike called on my dad to ask if he could use his boat for demo'ing and coaching, with my dad driving. My dad didn't hesitate to say yes! I remember it being a long day in the boat, but Mike being the good sport he was, said to my dad that he could keep all the money that was being paid for the tow's as a thank you for lending him his boat! Needless to say my dad walked away happy that day, he had seen many people learn a new sport and the joy of their first flight, and he also walked away with a tidy bit of cash in his pocket!!

Is there anybody else on this forum that was there on the south coast or at Tallington Lakes for the demo's? Would be great to hear from you!

For me now, i don't foil as much as i'd like to. My job is all consuming, as i'm sure most of you know! I recently went home and dusted off my Sky Ski which we bought back in 2003 (the purple beast has long gone to another happy home with thanks to eBay!). I must admit its rekindled my love for foiling, and as a result spurred me on to join this forum and get involved in this sport in a more active way. Its going to be a pleasure getting to know you all!

ATB,
    Tim
    Last edited by KingNeptune; 08-21-2012 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes

IP
    Great story Tim. Any old school pics of Murphy in the UK you could post?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

IP
    Welcome back to the sport!

Face Planting Noob
    IP
    Hi Guys, thanks for your replies. Its certainly good to feel bitten again :-). I will ask my dad if he has any photo's from either of those days. I know we have a box full of old skiing photos as i've grown up with it. We may be lucky and find some in there!