Notices

Thread: X Air DD40 T-Bar

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. X Air DD40 T-Bar 
    IP
    The newest version of X Air (Heinrich Horth's) X40 T-Bar has been named the DD40. The Double D Forty is deep drilled. And everyone likes double d's right?

I have not ridden the Gen1 X40 but I did ride the AC40. Back when Air Chair was under new management Nathan was working with Heinrich to refine the X40. I rode the AC40 (not to be confused with the V41) and it was a good riding bar (one day on the Parker Strip at 24mph). I noticed no issues other than an audible twang on loaded take offs. This bar struggled at higher speeds and the AC riders of 2011 battled with this bar for a whole summer. But it was not in vain because what came out of the hours of grinding, filing, sanding, and polishing was a great product.

A couple of things right out of the box. This bar is a work of art. Not that all the billet bars are not a work of art but this one has some sexy curves. The top is not milled out to reduce weight. It's left solid for a couple reasons. 1, is because of the deep drilling. 2, Because it adds stiffness. The board plug fits the AC board perfectly and is long enough so the people with the SkySki flat bottom boards won't have suck down issues. There are 4 holes drilled. No hole in the fuselage like the GEN1 X40. There are 2 sets of holes in the rear for the widest range of adjustability. I never weighed the bar without wings on it but with the Black Ops and Viper the foil assembly weighed in at 15lb 7.8oz. For reference the Fuse40 w/ Detonator and UFO was scaled at 15lb even. So why make a bar so thick and heavy just to drill it out? I think the original goal might have been weight savings but the end result is a super stiff 40" bar. For you big air guys, a stiff bar adds power to the wing because the wings don't deflect from the pressure as much. I would imagine that a stiff bar might make the landings a little harder but that's what the Cobra is for right? I gave the bar and my wings a good hard wet sand with some 2500 grit for the ultimate mirror finish and then applied my trusty SharkHide sealant. SHARKHIDE IS THE BOMB!!! Worth every penny!!!

First ride, there was a little more drag with this bar compared to the FT38 and the FUSE40 I have the most time on. I was able to cut through the wake at full speed once my confidence was up. The bar was glitch free all the way up to 26.6mph. I did need to add a touch of lift to the wings. I set the wheelbase the same as it was before. After the first run was out of the way it left a good impression.

Day 2, now that I had a little more seat time to adjust (I changed towers and rear wings recently) I was riding just like the old setup but this bar is stiffer. It's kind of like when you changed from that old spring board to the stiff carbon board. You didn't really know there was movement until the movement was gone. I noticed no twang. I am still getting used to the wing swap so my riding is a bit inconsistent but I probably managed a 51-53 frame roll in the set somewhere.

So is there anything bad about the bar? Well, unfortunately it is very expensive. The deep drill option (which shouldn't be left off this bar) is $500 alone. But if you are a true foil freak and live the sport you will find a way to afford it.

IMHO this bar has set the bar. If you truly are a big air guy or want to take your air to the next level this bar should be on your list of must haves.

Reverse Scorpion Professional
    IP
    Jay are there any pics of it? Where can I find details on it and where can it be purchased?

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguychad View Post
    Jay are there any pics of it? Where can I find details on it and where can it be purchased?
    I can take some pictures later today.
    Contact email xair@xairfoils.com

IP
    "Alright everyone! I have a few deep hole drilled 40" Tbars available in this order. They are $3,000 plus s/h. Send us an email if you want one. Thanks! Tracy"
    xair@xairfoils.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XairDD40.jpg 
Views:	804 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	8599  
    Last edited by YJim; 08-28-2012 at 11:10 AM.

Foiling Fanatic
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by YJim View Post
    "$3,000 plus s/h. "
    xair@xairfoils.com
    WOW!

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by blockparty View Post
    WOW!
    wait till you hear what they want for their board.

Senior Foiler Elite popeonarope's Avatar
    IP
    I've been riding this Tbar for about a year and really love it! It took me a few sets to get the timing and feel, but I have had a really fun year of riding and feel like the equipment has made a real difference. The bar rides very well in any water condition I've been in. No glitches at the wake or otherwise. The thing I love most about it is how solid and sturdy it is. You can really feel the power when loading up for a big wake roll or front. Also feels solid on the combos.

At first glance, $3000 does seem steep, but you have to consider the amount of aluminum used and the deep drill process... both costly. You also have to consider that one of the biggest design goals was strength and durability. Again, this is the piece I love the most. A new LE38 on SS's website is listed at over $2800 and unless I am wrong, there has been little improvements over the last few years in the overall design to improve durability. Since I broke 2, LE38's in 2 months last year, $3000 for a new DD40 that is designed to last seems like a deal to me. :)

Pope

IP
    $3,000 obo.
    Mike G

Reverse Scorpion Professional
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by swayze View Post
    wait till you hear what they want for their board.
    Do tell!

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by popeonarope View Post
    I've been riding this Tbar for about a year and really love it! It took me a few sets to get the timing and feel, but I have had a really fun year of riding and feel like the equipment has made a real difference. The bar rides very well in any water condition I've been in. No glitches at the wake or otherwise. The thing I love most about it is how solid and sturdy it is. You can really feel the power when loading up for a big wake roll or front. Also feels solid on the combos.

At first glance, $3000 does seem steep, but you have to consider the amount of aluminum used and the deep drill process... both costly. You also have to consider that one of the biggest design goals was strength and durability. Again, this is the piece I love the most. A new LE38 on SS's website is listed at over $2800 and unless I am wrong, there has been little improvements over the last few years in the overall design to improve durability. Since I broke 2, LE38's in 2 months last year, $3000 for a new DD40 that is designed to last seems like a deal to me. :)

Pope
    You can always do like Pope and get the 'cheap' non-drilled version...at 15 lbs! Pope, how do you ride that thing, or pick it up? And you used to complain about my heavy shock tower...that ski does ride really well though!!
    The Original Dark Side

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast