Notices

Thread: Tower mounting method

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Tower mounting method 
    IP
    Attached are the files for my tower mounting. It has kept me from snapping a skyski light board so far this year. Either it is working or I am not riding enough. Instigated by Darth and tuned by Matt V and myself. I know of several others riding with this and all have had good luck so far.

fine print: ** Please note this is for reference, does not ensure solution to board breakage problem, may affect manufacturer's warranty, and will not cure Hemorrhoids.
    Attached Files

Senior Foiler Elite
    IP
    Hey rock star!

I'll probably wait till the warranty is up but I remember checking out that set up when you mounted your new tower. See ya in 9 days!

Bobby Earl

IP
    Thanks for reposting that. First off can you tell me how to go big enough to bust mine!! I noticed a lot of the items may have to be bought in bulk. If you have a bunch of extras of any of the stuff I will buy it from you at the fly in. Let me know. Thanks!

IP
    I will bring my bag o' nuts and stuff to the fly-in. The long stainless bolts (2.25") you can pick up from some local places, along with the fender washers. let me know if you cant find the bolts and i will get some to bring up.

IP
    Thanks Al. We have a place here in town that sells a lot of stainless hardware. I can probably get everything here except the nylon spacers. Just seemed like you could have a bunch of extra if you had to buy in bulk so you could make a few extra bucks getting rid of some of it. I have the carbon fiber plate on my old flame board so I may need longer bolts. Does anyone use these on the new lightweight boards? I know there was some controversy about it back on foilfreaks but I wonder what has happened since. I know that if whatever you are doing is working for you then it will last me forever!!

6. Mod 
    IP
    How does this compare to digging out the foam in the board then filling it with resin and drilling new holes and using large washers?

IP
    I just finished installing Al's Mod with a better, slight variation. Instead of the plastic sleeve, I used an aluminum, threaded Riv Nut. Apply 3 inches of duct tape to the collar of the Riv Nut and it will fit snug. The 2 inch bolts will not work for this. You will need a minimum of 2.5 inch. I used 3 inch. I don't care if they stick out far. I also used an extra small washer between the Riv Nut and the rubber D-Nut template. This sandwiches the ruber in a uniform manner. I also used an extra fender washer on top in conjunction with the small washer to spread out the load on top as well.

I purchased this board in June. As you can see from the pictures, it is wasted and will completely break soon. When I tightened the bolts and nuts, I heard a crunch. I believe that this will allow me to get some more life out of this board.

I purchased all of these items, except for the Sky Ski washers, at Broward Bolt in Pompano Beach, Fl. They are a specialty hardware shop.

I want to thank Al Lewin for this great Mod and for pointing me in the right direction.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010818.JPG 
Views:	426 
Size:	848.2 KB 
ID:	2041   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010819.JPG 
Views:	398 
Size:	832.0 KB 
ID:	2042   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010820.JPG 
Views:	443 
Size:	786.9 KB 
ID:	2043   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010821.JPG 
Views:	420 
Size:	857.6 KB 
ID:	2044   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010822.JPG 
Views:	465 
Size:	847.8 KB 
ID:	2045  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010823.JPG 
Views:	462 
Size:	844.1 KB 
ID:	2046  

IP
    Pete - you gonna leave the ends of the bolts sticking out out that far?

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by goinfoilin View Post
    Pete - you gonna leave the ends of the bolts sticking out out that far?
    They protrude 0.75 inch.

2.25 inch bolts would be perfect, but if you used 2.5 inch bolts, they would protrude 0.25 inch. What's the difference if they protrude 0.25 inch or 0.75 inch. I could cut them with a dremel or a hack saw flush with the nut, but I don't think that is necessary.

10. Tower Mounting Method 
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
    They protrude 0.75 inch.

2.25 inch bolts would be perfect, but if you used 2.5 inch bolts, they would protrude 0.25 inch. What's the difference if they protrude 0.25 inch or 0.75 inch. I could cut them with a dremel or a hack saw flush with the nut, but I don't think that is necessary.
    Boat Interior?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast