Notices

Thread: How to Identify SkySki Models

1. How to Identify SkySki Models 
    Face Planting Noob
    IP
    Being that I am searching for used a used SkySki, I was wondering how you recognize different models and eras of foils.

It seems that the Pro SS is the most commonly recommended beginner foil, but what about earlier models, are they just as good for a recreational novice?

Here is one example, pics aren't too good, but what model is this and how do you know? Value?
    Attached Files

san diego in winter...lake inez montana in summer
    IP
    This link might help you......also, If you look at the 3rd. picture of the link you posted you will see its a "half keel"....1998 or very early 1999 model (first Sky Sky edition).....this link will show the various t-bars and some good info....hope it helps.

http://skyski.com/store/tech_docs/Ev...the%20Tbar.pdf

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by j.robinson389 View Post
    Being that I am searching for used a used SkySki, I was wondering how you recognize different models and eras of foils.

It seems that the Pro SS is the most commonly recommended beginner foil, but what about earlier models, are they just as good for a recreational novice?

Here is one example, pics aren't too good, but what model is this and how do you know? Value?
    Cast Foil and wings. Taller Rock Tower. Aluminum top board. Value about $700-$1000 depending on condition. I wouldn't pay more than $800 IMO.

IP
    Based on the board graphics, I'd say it's from around 1998 to 2002. Burnished aluminum seat with slots is 1998. Rear wing is also early 2000s or late 90s.
    Half keel t-bar is 1998. Probably a ski from the first year or two SS was in business.

Other ways to tell are the board shape & thickness (they were thinner early on, flat bottom is later), wing size & shape, shape of the fork at the top of the t-bar, height & design of the seat, etc.

The older design is not as strong as the newer stuff. Great for a beginner or even lighter weight intermediate rider. But a big guy learning rolls runs a risk of break or bending the seat, board & t-bar.