Notices

Thread: New boat, new toys

1. New boat, new toys 
    Reverse Scorpion Professional
    IP
    Hi everyone. I have spent most of my life on California lakes. First on my parents boat which they bought in 1980. I took a break from boating while away at school. Once school was over and I entered the my working life, I have had a couple inexpensive boats here and there and had several friends with a variety of boats from barely floating to top notch rides. I have just recently purchased my first dream boat, a 2012 malibu VLX. Along with the boat have come several other investments and additions to the family's arsenal of toys. First it was wakeboards, then surfboards and ballasts. For the kids, new boards and swim noodles. I refuse to get a tube for now but probably will at some point. I have always been intrigued by foils and the brave, lucky ones that I have seen out riding what looks like one of the most exiting water toys on the lake. I am now starting my entrance into what looks to be an addictive, exciting and expensive endeavor. I learned of this site from the malibu crew website. I have been thrilled with all of the info on that site and I am excited that there is a community that is dedicated to foiling. I hope to learn all about foiling and look to find a budget conscious way into this sport before I jump in with both feet and become obsessed with foiling as, I imagine, most of you are. Greetings to all of you and thanks in advance for the information I hope to find here.

Brian

2. obsessed? 
    IP
    welcome to the forum, once a water rat, always a water rat so it seems
    everyone here is obsessed? well maybe a few like greeneye, Nots, inkster, EricR, Jay, extemefoils, air junky, hossdog, ifoiledmyself, drossiter,
    well okay, your right ,,,, keep some room on your visa, your gonna need it. lol
    there are some foilers in your area, i'm sure they'll chime in to help get you started with the addiction.

IP
    Find experienced people to ride with. Quicker learning curve and most will let you ride their equipment. You can get into the sport in a "budget conscious" manner but going cheap can cost you more when you buy a ski that you quickly out grow and can not be upgraded! The foiling community maybe obsessed, but you will not find a more hospitable group!

IP
    Congrats on finding something to occupy all your time! Between those two forums off the water, and the new boat, toys & potentially new foil..... well, you might not have much time for anything else!

Welcome to the chaos. Like Eric, said, search out riders in your area. Let us know what Cali lakes your near & maybe some guys in that area will pop up.

Reverse Scorpion Professional
    IP
    I went back and looked at my original post here and read a few others. Sorry I didn't reply to any of the greetings. I thought that section was just to rule out the spam bots or something. So it's been almost two years with the boat and one year of foiling. I have gone from a $350 air chair stealth (sold for $550), to a nearly new $500 SSPro and Santa brought me some malibu mark bindings. I just ordered a new foil assembly and there's really no end in sight. The sport is pretty amazing and the people I have met make it that much better. Special thanks to foil forum for supporting and feeding my addiction. Welcome to all the new members.

IP
    Good to see you on here.