Notices

Thread: Jump, then Flip. Okay, but how do you land? -- Gainer Help

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Foiler Elite steepcreeker's Avatar
    IP
    Just my $.02 but I'd quit doing the dismounts. The advice you got above pretty much covers it but I'd say you could have easily ridden away from at least half of those attempts where you came up "short." Like Shuey said you don't want to go completely around before you land but slightly short. By holding onto the handle (assuming good line tension) you can control the last 1/8 or 1/4 of the rotation by using the pull of the rope. Get that head around to see the your landing and the line tension will help line you up and get you around.
    WAY easier for me to ride away a rotation that is too short than one that is even slightly over rotated,,,,,ouch :-O
    Keep it up.
    M

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashbob View Post
    Ha! Just what I need. I may have not gotten frustrated for the first 100, but another 100 failed attempts might start getting to me. :)
    All the best advise you could have above. I think there was a few ride aways in that vid if you had the rope. Just think how frustrating it will be when you do finally ride one away, but don't have the rope. Airjunky helped me land my fist one with a little bump from his boat. I think I had my eyes closed on the first few I landed

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

IP
    Cliff Notes Version:

Hold The Rope - Spot the Landing - Ride It Away!
    Be sure to have the camera rolling to capture the happy moment.

Good Luck & Have Fun

IP
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I just figured out that I probably won't be able to try any of it for a couple weeks now. Bummer!

Here are the things I hope to work on next time I get out.

Under-rotate.
    Pull on my feet at the landing, don't push, which should help get my weight forward.
    Keep my head up. Spot the landing.
    Make sure it is 2 motions: steep jump, then head and shoulders back (or knees and feet up and over) to rotate.

And the number one answer:
    Hang on to the rope.

Thanks again everyone. Hopefully the next video I post will be some landings.

IP
    Your a little low on takeoff. Try and have the board 12 inches above the water when you dip. Think "jump straight up in the air" dont think "flip". Once upside down start reaching back for the handle with your other hand.....this action actually brings your body forward for landing.....which you need because your way to far back on landing.

Also....in my experience.....landing a dismount you have to have your chest over your knees to not re-launch. When you land with the rope in your hands the boat pulls the line giving you tension to keep the ski level on landing.....on dismounts there is no line tension to hold onto....thats why you have to land soooo forward to keep from relaunching.

Team Rider
    Airchair Outlaw Tower
    Airchair Carbon Board
    N2orbit Fuse 39 Tbar
    N2orbit Phoenix Front, UFO Rear

AC Belt / Malibu Mark Bindings

Paul

- All the best things in life can be done in the water.

IP
    Thanks Paul, and everyone else. I took everything you said and finally got back out on the water this week. Finally landed and rode out 2 after about 2 more runs. After 2 or 3 more runs, I'm landing about 80 percent with a solid landing. They aren't all pretty, but they are complete. Pretty much what did it for me was watching for the water, coming in higher, and holding on to the rope to bring in the landing.

I have video of some of the first ones. I'll post soon.

Thanks again everyone. Stoked to be landing these finally!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

IP
    Congratulations Bob, (that was fast)!

IP
    Okay, I had a couple days with really good runs (landing 15 in a row one run, and >20 total lands in another couple runs with a few falls in the middle). Then I have a few times where I over think things or just lost the touch for a bit and only land a few. But that's okay. I'm feeling it out and getting it. Here are a few that I landed one night. This was on one of the not so great runs and I only landed these 5, but it was also getting pretty dark already. But it's proof, I can land some. :) Any critique and criticism is greatly appreciated. These are pretty ugly and not very high yet, and I am grateful for any advice I can get to make them better.

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashbob View Post
    Okay, I had a couple days with really good runs (landing 15 in a row one run, and >20 total lands in another couple runs with a few falls in the middle). Then I have a few times where I over think things or just lost the touch for a bit and only land a few. But that's okay. I'm feeling it out and getting it. Here are a few that I landed one night. This was on one of the not so great runs and I only landed these 5, but it was also getting pretty dark already. But it's proof, I can land some. :) Any critique and criticism is greatly appreciated. These are pretty ugly and not very high yet, and I am grateful for any advice I can get to make them better.

Looks good.

Admin - XTREME Foils XtremeFoils's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    IP
    You are pretty far away in the video, but are you tilting your head back after the wings exit? Much of the key to landing tricks is to be able to adjust in the air. If you aren't looking for the water as soon as possible, you are robbing yourself of time to adjust. If you only see the water at 3/4 of the way around, you have just a tiny amount of time to fix anything. So you either land it from perfect rotation, or you fall. If you can look back sooner, you can then tuck up tighter if you are under-rotating, or open up a bit if you are over-rotating.

Everything else looks good - handle position is key and you seem to have that figured out. Seat time is your friend.

Bryan - "Shuey" Foilmacher

2008/2009 USA Waterski Innovator of the Year!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast