Notices

Thread: Light weight flat bottom board vs curved bottom

1. Light weight flat bottom board vs curved bottom 
    Reverse Scorpion Professional suprarider's Avatar
    IP
    What are the advantages or disadvantages of a flat bottom board (Skyski/Nextfoils) vs a curved bottom (Airchair/Xair)?
    I have heard about more spray from flat bottom boards, and advantages?
    Thanks

IP
    I like how the flat bottom doesn't rock on the swim platform. I have only rode one a couple times and I don't remember the spray. For me it was an easy choice getting an Air Chair carbon board. I think they are a little lighter and cheaper than the flat bottom boards. If I was loaded I would get an XAir black board. It is a really good upgrade! There is no way I could go back to my old board after riding the carbon AC board for a while!!

IP
    The only downside I see to the non-flatbottom, is like Foiler said, it rocks a little on the platform. But this doesn't really bother me. I have opportunity to ride the sky ski flatbottom boards several times each year and there is definitely more spray. I like the AC curved bottom. Also rode a NextFoils last year and had the same problem. And, those flat bottom ones don't fit in some of the racks.

Foilforum Addict Suicidal-Element's Avatar
    IP
    Once you go flat, you want to go back to curved!!! LOL. Big difference in spray when board tapping off the water.

IP
    I also feel like the flat bottom boards "stop" or stick to the water when you stomp them. The curved bottom boards just skip right through.

I have a flat bottom board, and would like to go back to a curved bottom....

IP
    It's a personal preference thing. I've ridden Next, Sky Ski and AC and I don't like the "hull" shaped boards as much as my flat bottomed cf board. Of course, since I made my own cf board, it fits in standard racks and is not exactly the same shape as a Sky Ski or Next board. Really haven't perceived the spray issue to be more significant. I feel that hull boards "belly" in on the dip and don't come away as quickly as my flat, but to each his own! I definitely feel that if you tap a hull shape and aren't lined up they have a directional pull. So maybe the flat board is more forgiving. Watching Kevin Thayer stomp on his Next board and toss huge fronts and BNC's didn't make me think that flat boards suck...

Flat or shaped, a lighter board is a huge difference and makes it worth trying out the different types.

Ha! Mine only cost me $250 in materials (7 lbs 4 oz).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5467.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	10381  

IP
    Nice air Kelson.....or should I say.....former foiling friend who never calls anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by nobrainsd View Post
    It's a personal preference thing. I've ridden Next, Sky Ski and AC and I don't like the "hull" shaped boards as much as my flat bottomed cf board. Of course, since I made my own cf board, it fits in standard racks and is not exactly the same shape as a Sky Ski or Next board. Really haven't perceived the spray issue to be more significant. I feel that hull boards "belly" in on the dip and don't come away as quickly as my flat, but to each his own! I definitely feel that if you tap a hull shape and aren't lined up they have a directional pull. So maybe the flat board is more forgiving. Watching Kevin Thayer stomp on his Next board and toss huge fronts and BNC's didn't make me think that flat boards suck...

Flat or shaped, a lighter board is a huge difference and makes it worth trying out the different types.

Ha! Mine only cost me $250 in materials (7 lbs 4 oz).

Team Rider
    Airchair Outlaw Tower
    Airchair Carbon Board
    N2orbit Fuse 39 Tbar
    N2orbit Phoenix Front, UFO Rear

AC Belt / Malibu Mark Bindings

Paul

- All the best things in life can be done in the water.

IP
    So, is it a Saturday pre party ride or a Sunday after John's party ride? :)

IP
    I have ridden both and I think I had more spray in the face when I hit the water from my LE flat bottom than I do from AC board. I prefer my AC board. The rocking on the AC board is tuff at times. When you get the lean down it is fine. If not you can have a few laphs.

2012 Foiltech 40
    2013 FoilTech Death Blade II
    2013 FTR Rear
    2015 XAir Tower
    2015 XAir Black Board
    2015 Malibu Make Bindings

www.utahhydrofoiling.com

Am I pissing you off-fuh-fuh?