Notices

Thread: New Utah Foiler Checking in

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. New Utah Foiler Checking in 
    Face Planting Noob
    IP
    Hey everyone,

I have been browsing the foil forum for about a year now. You can only watch so many foil videos without being motivated to do it yourself. You guys on this forum throw down some AMAZING stuff. I recently purchased a new Next Foil from Marty and Mike. I have wanted to try one out for years. I'm the guy that follows behind you fellas throwing down big air at the lake. I love all watersports, now I'm ready for the next progression, looking for a new challenge. My favorite puddle here in Utah is Willard bay since its only minutes away. I'm sure I'm going to have to ask lots of questions along the way since I don't even know anyone with a foil let alone ever tried one. I've read alot and my head is spinning with info. Now I just need to get on the water and get some seat time. Looking forward to learning from the rest of you.

IP
    Go big or go home. Most guys end up buying a used ski, and then working their way up. Awesome how you just went almost all in at once and got a ski that you won't have to ever blame for your shortcomings.

I grew up about 15 minutes from Willard Bay myself, almost in Pleasant View. If you are ever down my way, hit me up. If you are on Facebook, look up Utah hydrofoiling, there are some guys at Willard pretty regularly.

Face Planting Noob
    IP
    Nice to hear of other foilers from the area. You are definitely right... one bad thing about buying a nice ski up front is that now I have nothing to blame but myself. I'm actually going to be in St. George next weekend along with everyone else for spring break. We try to make it down there once a year during spring for a little dirt biking around Sand Hollow / Fort Pearce area. We have a one year old this year so the biking is out this round.

IP
    Sounds good. I might be able to get out for a ride at the lake depending on kids' soccer schedule and such. If you see a boat that looks like my profile pic, and a mediocre foiler behind it, come say hello.

If the lake doesn't work out, I may be on my dirt bike instead, that is what I do when it seems too cold to be in the boat.

It is on my bucket list to take my dirt bike to the top of Ben Lomond or Willard peak...have you been up there? I understand the road to Willard is pretty easy, the backside of Ben Lomond not so easy. True?

IP
    Do yourself a favor and get together with "Greg" at www.utahhydrofoiling.com. Greg is a great instructor for any level rider and you will save yourself a lot of frustration getting started. His rates are very reasonable and he is willing to travel to any local lake.

Also, Wilard Bay is "Woodys1999" home lake and he is always looking for someone to ride with.

Did someone mention a dirt bike ride to the top of Ben Lomond? If it happens, put me down!

IP
    Welcome. I second the recommendation for Greg. Nothing helped me learn this sport more than riding with experienced foilers like Greg.

Face Planting Noob
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallredrider View Post
    It is on my bucket list to take my dirt bike to the top of Ben Lomond or Willard peak...have you been up there? I understand the road to Willard is pretty easy, the backside of Ben Lomond not so easy. True?
    I've ridden up both Willard and Ben Lomond, never the traverse between the two (on my bucket list). Like you said, the last 500' up Ben Lomond makes you earn it, steep rugged switch backs, but the view is tough to beat. I'm up for checking one off my list as well, anytime you and Dossiter are game.

Face Planting Noob
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Drossiter View Post
    Do yourself a favor and get together with "Greg" at www.utahhydrofoiling.com. Greg is a great instructor for any level rider and you will save yourself a lot of frustration getting started. His rates are very reasonable and he is willing to travel to any local lake.
    Never thought of getting some coaching. Not a bad idea to accelerate things along. I'm sure that option will look better and better after the first few pulls at the lake. Thanks for the advice Dossiter and Hooked on Foiling.
    Last edited by flynbrian; 03-31-2014 at 11:14 PM.

IP
    Yup, go out with Greg. Good teacher, and fun to ride with. Was out with him and Trevor (Hooked on Foiling) just a couple weeks ago. And Woodys1999 is always out there. I'm always looking for someone to go with to Willard, too. I'm from Syracuse, so that's my closest lake. If you are on facebook, you should join the Utah Hydrofoiling group (just search for that). There is usually someone posting on there looking for someone to go with. I might be looking to get out this Saturday if you are up for some cold water riding.

Face Planting Noob
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashbob View Post
    Yup, go out with Greg. Good teacher, and fun to ride with. Was out with him and Trevor (Hooked on Foiling) just a couple weeks ago. And Woodys1999 is always out there. I'm always looking for someone to go with to Willard, too. I'm from Syracuse, so that's my closest lake. If you are on facebook, you should join the Utah Hydrofoiling group (just search for that). There is usually someone posting on there looking for someone to go with. I might be looking to get out this Saturday if you are up for some cold water riding.
    Hey Crashbob I've watched alot of your video posts the last few months, it was fun to watch your progression though your posts and video clips. I read one of your posts talking about you being up in Island Park last fourth of July with a flyboard. I was out there watching you guys last year, small world. My parents have a cabin up there, so I'm up there every July 4th. I also noticed several of your video posts on IP Reservoir.

I'm one of the few not on facebook. One of these days I'll break down and sign up. This weekend is out, headed to St. George for spring break, still waiting on my T-bar and wings also. I definitively want to meet up and get some tips.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast