Notices

Thread: Need basic technique advice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Need basic technique advice 
    Face Planting Noob
    IP
    I am new to foiling and I have been out to the lake a few times now. I'm starting to get the hang of hovering and I can cut in and out of the wake. I have been working to tune my ski so I don't have to fight the front down as much as I have had to. I am getting closer to having it tuned in. I am sitting as far forward on the seat as possible but I still have to be a little leaned forward to keep the ski from climbing. I'm wondering if its better to set up the ski to where I am relaxed and sitting up straight when hovering or is it better technique to be leaned forward a bit?

I'm also wondering how much I'm supposed to move my arms up and down to control height vs moving my torso forward and back to control hover height? I find that I am able to make quicker corrections moving the handle up and down than I can shifting my weight forward and back. Is that bad? I'd like to try to steer away from any bad habits early on.

Blog Entries
    IP
    Shimming your ski should help make you a lot more comfortable and won't make you hunch over to fight it down. Try and keep your hands in your lap. The people who taught me taught me to use the handle up and down to control my height and it's been a tough habit to break.
    ONE MORE TRY

IP
    I am new to this too and I didn't always understand the lingo (still miss some of it sometimes.) "shimming" your ski means to put a dime between the aft wing and the Tbar to adjust the "angle of attack" of the rear wing, and then tighten it back down to the Tbar. If the rear wing is sloped with leading edge down you will get more lift , if te rear wing is sloped with the leading edge higher than the trailing edge it will give you less lift. I got a used ski from Mike Murphy and he actually moved the foot bindings forward because I am a taller size guy - but I'm guessing that most people are good with a spacer for the rear wing.

IP
    While riding just above the surface of the water, that is called 'taxiing'.

Most aggressive riders have the foil more 'hot'. That means that they have to ride with more foot pressure to keep the foil down. That allows more pop when you let off the foot pressure. Try riding with more foot pressure instead of using the rope or moving forward and back to maintain your taxiing altitude. Great riders only use the rope height as a last resort.

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallredrider View Post
    While riding just above the surface of the water, that is called 'taxiing'.

Most aggressive riders have the foil more 'hot'. That means that they have to ride with more foot pressure to keep the foil down. That allows more pop when you let off the foot pressure. Try riding with more foot pressure instead of using the rope or moving forward and back to maintain your taxiing altitude. Great riders only use the rope height as a last resort.

WOW!!! I didn't know that was the case. I too have always used rope to control height while "taxiing", but when you put it that way the whole foot pressure thing makes perfect sense. Thanks

IP
    Speed hasn't been addressed. How fast are you riding? I tend to pull new riders from 15-18 mph. More speed means more lift.
    Also use a no-stretch rope. A ski rope will have a bungee effect making it harder to control.
    Get your ski shimmed properly so that it rides a little hot, but not too much until you get used to it. You can use a shim kit or just use coins, guitar picks etc to change the angle of the rear wing.
    Remember when you're cutting you increase speed and line tension. When you let off your cut the rope tension will decrease faster than your speed causing your foil to rise (because the rope tension was helping counter the increased lift with speed)
    Have lots of fun!

Face Planting Noob
    IP
    Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I had read some posts that pushing down with your feet was a bad thing. Maybe that was just related to jumping, I'll have to try that out. I'll try to minimize the rope handle movement and keep it in my lap. I have been using a shim kit to tune the ski. It has made a huge difference. I think I'll take a little more lift out with another shim. I am currently getting pulled at 17.5 on the perfect pass. I seem to have more control at that speed than what I did at slower speeds. I definitely feel the added lift as the boat speed increases. I am using a wakeboard rope that feels non-stretch. I found Arm's comment on the rope tension very interesting. I have found that as I cut to the outside of the wake the ski wants to rise, it is probably the added speed and reduced tension after I let off of the cut. I didn't correlate the relationship until it was pointed out. Anticipating this added lift should help. Thank you!!!

When the ski is properly tuned will I be sitting with my back straight or should I be leaned forward slightly, or is it just personal preference?

IP
    Hey Brian,

I'm hoping to get out to Willard a few times next week. What is your schedule like? I'm happy to help you get all shimmed and tuned up right for a good ride.

My opinion on the rope height vs. balance thing... When you are learning to ride, it really is more of a balance thing and using rope height to help control the height and learn the balance is something most everyone goes through. But as you improve and get more seat time, you will find that you like to ride a little more on the hot side. Then you begin to ride with more rope tension and like to feel the pull against the rope more than a balancing act. Then control starts to come more from your core and foot pressure than from balance and rope position. If you try to ride aggressively and work on cutting back and forth all the way across the wake at a good speed (just a little more than you are quite comfortable with), then you will start to feel it change and feel the foot pressure and core becoming a bigger part of your riding. And if you ride a little more aggressively, you will quickly find it becomes easier to control. When you ride to a point where you are holding the ski down just a bit, then it just takes a little more pressure to go down or a little less to climb. Compared to trying to balance on top of the ski where it takes bigger movements and weight shift to control instead of just a little more pressure one way or the other.

As you cut outside, you will tend to rise. Some feel like that is the increased speed on the wing that causes that to happen. Others (me included) feel like it is because the rope tension and direction changes, because I feel the same extra lift if I drop boat speed down. (I don't plan to debate this here again! :) ) Either way, you do need to be prepared for that lift when you cut outside. When you ride more aggressively, you will be better equipped to handle it a little better because you compensate with more foot pressure while on the cut, and as you come off your cut, you lean a little more forward.

Face Planting Noob
    IP
    Hey Crashbob,

I'm open to going any evening next week. I only live about a 10 min drive from Willard. I get home from work around 5 PM so I usually can make a short trip of around 2 1/2 to 3 hours. PM me and let me know what days work out for you and we'll make it happen. It would be nice to see how its really supposed to look riding this thing.

Very interesting technique advice also. I'm headed out again tonight to try a few of these new tips. I'll try to be more aggressive while using foot pressure to compensate for the added lift. What you've said makes a lot of sense. Are you also recommending bumping up the boat speed prior to making more aggressive cuts?

IP
    I'm gonna try to make it out there this afternoon, but will probably be getting done around 5.

I'm not saying you NEED boat speed. I think eventually it gets more comfortable with a little speed, but there is nothing wrong with the boat going slow and you generating the speed from your cut. At lower speeds, I need to lean further forward to keep the foil down (because the rope isn't pulling me down as well, I figure), but you can adjust the ski to ride well at any speed.

EDIT: Text me this weekend or early next week and we'll work out a schedule. If it is just for a couple hours starting at 5, I might be able to do Monday. 801.549.8646.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast