Notices

Thread: comptech on Flight Control Tower?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. comptech on Flight Control Tower? 
    IP
    So I have a comptech release. On the two Nautiques I ride in the tow knob is set a little forward on the Flight Control Tower rather than being welded right on top of the rear tower bar. The knob is also rather short so the comptech rubs against the tower when in use. I would rather not have a new knob welded on as the powder coat is nice and would surely suffer. I was considering some longer grade 8 bolts and an aluminum spacer to make the release body extend farther aft. Then it could flex and not hit the tower bar. Anybody out there do something to get their comptech to clear properly on a Flight Control Tower? Suggestions?

IP
    I have not tried out my ideas but my buddie's Nautique has the short tow knob that you are dealing with. My two boats luckily have the tall knob. Here are my 3 ideas. 1) 2 inch PVC cut a section out and pop it on to the tower tubing so release rubs on it. 2) Cut a 2 inch PVC and slid it over the tow knob so it acts as a spacer. 3) I have a roll of 2 inch thick fuzzy material (like fuzzy part of velcro) that I got from a Mercedes Benz dealer. I was going to put this on the tower tube to protect it.

IP
    Yeah. You may be right Eric. It doesn't look like an extension would really help that much since the knob is so short. Lame. but I do have some UHMWPE (like on snowboard bottoms) and I could bond a strip to the tower. It would probably last a while and not damage the release. Just seems wrong to have the release rubbing on something.
    Last edited by nobrainsd; 06-23-2014 at 03:39 PM.

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by nobrainsd View Post
    Yeah. You may be right Eric. It doesn't look like an extension would really help that much since the knob is so short. Lame. but I do have some UHMWPE (like on snowboard bottoms) and I could bond a strip to the tower. It would probably last a while and not damage the release. Just seems wrong to have the release rubbing on something.
    I believe suggestion #2 might be best option as the nylon piece that holds the release to knob would be the only piece rubbing.

IP
    Putting my theory to the test.

IP
    Rather than PVC, I might consider using some radiator hose. I think the hose used on the boat intake is probably the perfect size. I like that the PVC just sort of clips into place, but it is probably a matter of time before it falls off. Maybe a couple of zip ties would be good? My release does not rub, but the little carabiner sure does for the manual release.

IP

Held by velcro rope rap I believe. Rubber hose would be more drag is my guess. Only concern so far is the tension adjustment collar rubbing.

IP
    So how bad does it rub? Has it gouged the pvc? Does suck to see the release rubbing at all!

I am going to try and mod one of these adjustable height ski tows to fit tight on my low post Flight Control tower. Move the tow point back enough so it isn't a problem. Still waiting on delivery. If that won't work I'm going to cut off the tow point and get it replaced. Would rather not alter the stock tower, but want my Comptech back in use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18745_L1.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	10968  

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by nobrainsd View Post
    So how bad does it rub? Has it gouged the pvc? Does suck to see the release rubbing at all!

I am going to try and mod one of these adjustable height ski tows to fit tight on my low post Flight Control tower. Move the tow point back enough so it isn't a problem. Still waiting on delivery. If that won't work I'm going to cut off the tow point and get it replaced. Would rather not alter the stock tower, but want my Comptech back in use.
    Checking with Old Man Tim to get the 411 on the test run. I was thinking we could also use longer bolts and put spacers in to move the release further back so the nylon blocks would be over the tower crossbar.

IP

Fail.... It binds...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast