Notices

Thread: comptech on Flight Control Tower?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reverse Scorpion Professional
    IP
    Found this on Barefoot International

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by superman79 View Post
    Found this on Barefoot International
    Yup... We are waiting for Kelson (Nobrainsd) to test. He bought one! Until then.... My buddy bought a Bullet!

IP
    The pylon clamp pictured has three obvious problems. First off, the clearance between the delrin spool and the tow point being clamped isn't enough for a comptech to pivot cleanly. Secondly, while affording a fairly wide angle of rotation, clearly you could not go around the boat. Murphy and Kevin Thayer have me thinking I need to do this... Third, the clamping shaped sections are made for a pylon rather than a tow point. More like 2.5 inches.

I had a hard time buying the necessary spool, the inner spacer and the aluminum counter sunk washer so I bought one of the pictured pylon clamps. Then I made some aluminum clamping blocks to fit the tower tie off. Should have made the back section thicker. Will be interesting to see if it cracks. I would also have tried to extend the first insert so I could put a bolt on the front that would restrain any sideways motion in the clamp relative to the tower. I can't get it to budge at this time . But that would have ensured a longer slip free life. The front of the extra clamp just reaches the front of the tower bar. You live , you learn.

I'll give it a strong pull on Friday. Still laughing at the process. Just a reciprocal saw, a drill press, some files, a grinder and a belt sander. Fred Flintstone metal working.

Oh yeah. Surprisingly enough. When I clamped the original clamping sections on the tower tow point, they held really well. Just didn't look like there was enough bearing surface. But it worked.

The delrin spool is attached by a 1/2 counter sunk flat head socket bolt. It is threadlocked. Needed a little extension and some good clamps to free up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141007_174704.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	10985   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141007_175832.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	10986   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141007_180014.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	10987  

IP
    Could consider cutting the current pylon off. Then drill and thread the tower at the same location and just screw in a new taller pylon.

IP
    Thinking out of the box...

Instead of mounting the release on the pylon, could you just mount it sideways right on your tower cross bar? The comptech pivots up and down when mounted correctly, so it should pivot side to side when mounted sideways. You would lose the up/down pivot, but it shouldn't have to do that much anyway. Just a thought.

IP
    I haven't seen a pylon section that you could screw in, but I'm sure you could get something made. I don't personally think that a screwed in tow point would have enough threaded area on the tower. But did consider bolting a hitch point to a plate and then bolting that to the flat base section after I cut off the tow knob. Then you would have a broader base and multiple bolts. I was concerned about having threaded "seams" that might leak and I really didn't want to cut the original tower.

The comptech release does have some up and down movement, but it is really limited by the hard rubber bushing. I don't think mounting the release sideways on the tower would be a good idea. If the release doesn't pivot fully the strain would no longer be straight down the release. Not so sure the release would like a lot of side stress.

The mod I made does work well. The clamp is tight enough that the assembly has not rotated under load at all. It might over time I suppose. Will just have to wait and see. I have a few ideas about how to fix the position if I need to. I'm stoked to have my comptech back!

Face Planting Noob
    IP
    Does anyone have a
    Comptech Safety Rope Release for SALE? I am looking.... please let me know if you have one you would like to get the dust off of ;-) ,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12