Notices

Thread: Gauging Interest For A Competition in 2015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Gauging Interest For A Competition in 2015 
    IP
    There has been some 'loose' discussion about the Pine Lake Riders hosting a competition this summer. We want to see what kind of interest/appetite there is for something like this, seeing as it's been acouple years since Nationals were hosted.

The concept (at this time) would be an International Hydrofoil Competition. Riders from Canada (obviously), US and Europe (some initial interest expressed) attend with an open invitation to Australia andany others. The attempt would be a 'gathering of the ages'. The competition would be held about mid August.

This is (roughly) the idea:

- competition open to all divisions;
    - there would be a registration fee to compete, and optional fees for meals,on-site accommodations, airport pick-up/return;
    - Familiarization (practice) would be offered all day on the Sunday. Riders would be pay on a per set basis;
    - Competition begins Monday (1st round) in morning, (2nd round) in afternoon;
    - Tuesday (3rd round) morning, (4th round) in afternoon;
    - Wednesday (semi finals - everyone potentially advances or top 5 in eachdivision) in morning, (finals - top 3 or 5 in each division depending on how semi's are structured) mid afternoon;
    - Awards banquet Wednesday night

All riders would have the opportunity for a day of practice (1-2 sets),and get 4-5 rounds of competition minimum. I won't get into scoring(whole conversation in itself) at this time. We need to first see what the interest is before outlining details. Pine Lake is a public lake, so therefore having a competition during the week is both good and bad. Good for water conditions (no traffic) but makes it hard for spectators and public. Also, asyou will see there is an additional reason for having the competition at thestart of the week.

Pine Lake is just over an hour away from an International Airport (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) and has been known to be driving distance for US riders from Washington, Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Minnesota. The cheap Canadian dollar makes flying inexpensive. There is on-site cabin rentals (10 cabins that sleep 4-6 each) and a city of 100,000 population a 1/2 hr drive away. On-site food could be provided for riders, and possibly airport shuttle service (for a fee).

The (potentially) second part of this event, would be Pine Lake Hydrofoloosa Event from Thursday to Sunday. We feel this event is something that riders enjoy and look forward to,and would therefore be hosting it after thec ompetition is over. The idea is that the riders from the competition would stay for the fly-in. For those riders that do, possibly a discount in registration fee for the Hydrofoloosa is offered. For those riders that are not interested in competing, can simply come for the Hydrofoloosa that would start on Thursday.

I realize there are lots upon lots of details not outlined but the main idea ofthis posting is to see what the interest is (lots or a little). We also realize the above concept could be a week long commitment for some riders, that could be a challenge (work, cost, etc). We like our Hydrofoloosa and will be continuing with that, and WILL not be adding a formal competition to it. Competition and fly-in's are two separate things with riders in different mind sets for each. Maybe the competition is at a separate time than the Hydrofoloosa but then requires riders to travel to Pine Lake two times. In the end maybe there isn't enough interest to invest all the work and time required to pull it off and that's why we are not seeing Nationals hosted anymore.

So we would like to hear some feedback (what you like or dislike about the concept) and if you would TRUELY consider attending. Be honest with yourself as it's easy in mid-January to say 'ya I would attend' without knowing if you can get the time off, be away from your family that long, the cost involved,etc. The operating budget to host the above week long event would be close to $50,000 (because we do things right) and involve hundreds of hours of work (before, during and after). Give it some thought and let us know what you think. We welcome your comments and look forward to seeing what the hydrofoil community thinks about this.

Nothing has been formalized only conversations have been had.

Thanks,

Pine Lake Riders Hydrofoil Club
    Pine Lake Rider
    USHA 2014 Ambassador Of The Year

IP
    The Pine Lake Hydrofoloosa is THE EVENT to hit! Great idea getting some feedback before the week long event. Unfortunately, for me, a week off of work is a no go so if it were to happen I would have to choose to hit the competition or Hydrofoloosa. Thanks for asking!!

Ben

Reverse Scorpion Professional
    IP
    Great idea Nots...... Abviously a lot of thought already and much appreciated however for a rider only 4hrs away, my Fam vaca happens at this time and it's alteady difficult to drag my wife away from that. I would unfortunately have to pass on the comp and just attend the Fololoosa because that's the best event I have ever been too. I'm sure the comp would be in the same format of "Goodness" cause you and the pine lake crew only know one way to put on an event and somehow it keeps getting better and better.

Rob

IP
    I was planning on the flyin. I can't do both.

IP
    As much as Id love to see the top guys throwing down I couldnt make the whole week and would have to choose.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

IP
    Hossey you can make the week work!
    Pine Lake Rider

IP
    I can make this work.

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFern View Post
    The Pine Lake Hydrofoloosa is THE EVENT to hit! Great idea getting some feedback before the week long event. Unfortunately, for me, a week off of work is a no go so if it were to happen I would have to choose to hit the competition or Hydrofoloosa. Thanks for asking!!

Ben
    school teacher, summer, Fern what am I missing......lol.
    Not that I would compete, but I can certainly make the week work. I would volunteer for the comp and participate in the Hydrofoloosa.

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by inkster View Post
    Hossey you can make the week work!
    If the throw down happens I'd probably lie, cheat and steal to make it happen....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

IP
    appreciate the responses boys! Some might be thinking, why do a week long event? The reason is, we feel the Hydrofoloosa (fly-in) is fun and folks enjoy their time at it. To cancel that (something good) and replace it with a competition, doesn't seem like the right thing to do (so we think). With the crew that comes every year ... to go for a week, we'd need two weeks after to recover.
    Pine Lake Rider
    USHA 2014 Ambassador Of The Year

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast