Notices
 

Thread: Finally ready to upgrade a little

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Finally ready to upgrade a little 
    #1
    Reverse Scorpion Professional
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sacramento, Ca
    Posts
    31
    IP
    I bought my first foil in the middle of last season. An old air chair stealth. I learned to ride it relatively quickly. I sold it and bought an older ss pro which was a night and day difference. Since picking up the SS pro I have learned how to jump. I am now thinking of getting a new tbar and wings to mount up to the rock tower and flame board. I have a budget of about $2000 and want to make sure I get the most for my money. Any advice from the experienced riders is appreciated. I am still a beginner but I am hooked and feel like I am progressing pretty quickly. Right now I am considering a next foils inxs foil assembly with pro wings which lists at about $2300. Is that setup much better than the Zbest tbar with advanced wings which is about $400 less? Will a beginner like me realize the difference between the two? Would I be better off in the long run with one or the other? Are there other options I should consider in that price range? I am new to this so I don't know what I like and don't like. Again, any advice and suggestions are appreciated.
     
     

  2. #2
    Foilforum Addict Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tucson, AZ.
    Posts
    3,077
    IP
    You won't notice much in the beginning but the better wings and wheelbase adjustability will be better down the road.

    You can also search through the classifieds and see about finding a used assembly. Maybe some wings and then just a TBar from Mike. Some of the ads that might be 6 months old might not have sold. Worth asking.
     
     

  3. #3
    Foilforum Addict Foiler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Posts
    1,051
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Isellacuras View Post
    I bought my first foil in the middle of last season. An old air chair stealth. I learned to ride it relatively quickly. I sold it and bought an older ss pro which was a night and day difference. Since picking up the SS pro I have learned how to jump. I am now thinking of getting a new tbar and wings to mount up to the rock tower and flame board. I have a budget of about $2000 and want to make sure I get the most for my money. Any advice from the experienced riders is appreciated. I am still a beginner but I am hooked and feel like I am progressing pretty quickly. Right now I am considering a next foils inxs foil assembly with pro wings which lists at about $2300. Is that setup much better than the Zbest tbar with advanced wings which is about $400 less? Will a beginner like me realize the difference between the two? Would I be better off in the long run with one or the other? Are there other options I should consider in that price range? I am new to this so I don't know what I like and don't like. Again, any advice and suggestions are appreciated.
    My foil is still for sale and you will not find a better riding foil for less money but it isn't new. If you want new then definitely get the better one. Will be a huge improvement over the Pro. If you want used, I would buy mine. If you want new I would contact Marty at N2Orbit. He is a dealer for the Next foils. Get the 7000 series T-bar and N2Orbit wings. In my opinion it is the best new set up you can get for the money.
     
     

  4. #4
    Foilforum Addict Foiler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Posts
    1,051
     
     

  5. #5
    Reverse Scorpion Professional
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sacramento, Ca
    Posts
    31
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Foiler View Post
    I have seen your ad and contemplated it many times. The cracked t bar has me concerned. It has been for sale for a long time which makes me think others feel the same way. I don't know enough about foils to know if it's worth it or not which keeps me from going that route. My thought are if that thing breaks, it's another 2000+ to start over with Tbar and wings. Another concern I have is that I am a big guy at 6'5" 280 which would put more stress than usual on the crack. I guess that's another thing I should have put into my original post if that makes a difference on my options.
     
     

  6. #6
    Foilforum Addict Foiler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Posts
    1,051
    IP
    Actually for $2300 (plus shipping charges) you could buy mine for $1800, sell yours for $800 or more and use the extra $1300 to buy a carbon fiber Air Chair board. You would have an insanely good ride. The foil assembly is the biggest bang for the buck on improvements but the carbon board is a very close second in my opinion. The light nose of the board really makes it easier to get a steeper jump.
     
     

  7. #7
    Foilforum Addict Foiler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Posts
    1,051
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Isellacuras View Post
    I have seen your ad and contemplated it many times. The cracked t bar has me concerned. It has been for sale for a long time which makes me think others feel the same way. I don't know enough about foils to know if it's worth it or not which keeps me from going that route. My thought are if that thing breaks, it's another 2000+ to start over with Tbar and wings. Another concern I have is that I am a big guy at 6'5" 280 which would put more stress than usual on the crack. I guess that's another thing I should have put into my original post if that makes a difference on my options.

    I understand and unfortunately I posted it at the wrong time of the year too. I obviously can't make any guarantees but I am 100% honest about it being ridden 4 times as hard after the repair as it was from the time I bought it brand new until it cracked. I really do have faith in it now but if you want a new one definitely call Marty. Any used one could be cracked with no repair which will definitely fail! I have been inspecting cracks since 1992 so I feel pretty confident in it. I know of one other guy who bought a used Foiltech that was cracked at the rear wing too. He followed my repair and some how sold a complete foil for big bucks and it is still going strong.
     
     

  8. #8
    Senior Foiler Elite hossdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    sandpoint, idaho
    Posts
    447
    IP
    If you are a big guy and riding a rock tower plan on reinforcing it or upgrading it as well. If you add a longer bar and start catching some air it will only take one funky take off or landing and the seat will bend. I would buy a complete set up from someone that has a better tower and longer bar. You could recoup a good bit by selling your set up as complete. I went through all of this a few years ago. Had the pro then just swapped to longer bar with better wings and it only took a few weeks before the seat folded over.
     
     

  9. #9
    Reverse Scorpion Professional
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sacramento, Ca
    Posts
    31
    IP
    Thanks for the advice hossdog. I will be on the lookout and on the savings plan for a better seat and board. I'm sure my back will appreciate a new seat as well. I went ahead and ordered an INXS T-bar and N2Orbit Wings. I will see how that works out and then move on from there. Looking forward to their arrival. Thanks for all the input.
     
     

  10. #10
    Senior Foiler Elite woodysdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    san diego in winter...lake inez montana in summer
    Posts
    471
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Isellacuras View Post
    Thanks for the advice hossdog. I will be on the lookout and on the savings plan for a better seat and board. I'm sure my back will appreciate a new seat as well. I went ahead and ordered an INXS T-bar and N2Orbit Wings. I will see how that works out and then move on from there. Looking forward to their arrival. Thanks for all the input.
    Good call on the INXS t-bar and N2Orbit wings from Marty....Top notch equipment....Since your a big guy, check out the NextFoils flex tower....it's got a bigger seat area than the others....a Rock tower seating area is 8"x12"...The Flex tower has a 9 1/2" x 12" seating area..and with the flex, your back will thank you...It's a bit pricey but well worth it.
    Last edited by woodysdad; 03-06-2015 at 06:56 PM.
     
     

Similar Threads

  1. Ready to make a move
    By tms2113 in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2014, 09:38 PM
  2. Ready to ride in MN!
    By Charles Hentges in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-13-2013, 12:22 PM
  3. Ready to ride
    By Blitz1973 in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-02-2013, 10:55 PM
  4. Ready 2 Ride ?
    By 07v-rideblue in forum Regional / Find a Pull
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-05-2010, 08:34 PM
  5. EC ready to ski
    By Kohler@LavonTX in forum Pics and Vids
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •