Notices

Thread: Looking for first chair

1. Looking for first chair 
    Face Planting Noob
    IP
    My 12 year old son told me he wants a chair for his birthday. He skis, kneeboards, wakeboaerds and now wants to try an air chair. I have a couple questions.

1. I have an older boat(Mastercraft ProStar 190) without tower. Can this be used or does a chair need to have the rope hooked higher on a tower?

2. Can a youth ride one or are they more suited for adults? My son is 12 years old about 95lbs

3. Are there specific youth models, I couldn't find them? Lower seat tower etc?

4. If youth can ride, any recommendations as to what I should get him?

Admin - XTREME Foils XtremeFoils's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    IP

Bryan - "Shuey" Foilmacher

2008/2009 USA Waterski Innovator of the Year!!!

Admin - XTREME Foils XtremeFoils's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    My 12 year old son told me he wants a chair for his birthday. He skis, kneeboards, wakeboaerds and now wants to try an air chair. I have a couple questions.

1. I have an older boat(Mastercraft ProStar 190) without tower. Can this be used or does a chair need to have the rope hooked higher on a tower?
    Tower will definitely help but I've ridden behind jetskis, pontoons, fishing boats, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by tyler
    2. Can a youth ride one or are they more suited for adults? My son is 12 years old about 95lbs
    At 12 years old, he can probably get by with a full size seat tower. I just took the seat pad off and put a real thin foam piece for a seat pad when Dominic was 12. Might need to move footpads back.

3. Are there specific youth models, I couldn't find them? Lower seat tower etc?
    You can find a youth seat tower for sale every now and then in the classifieds, but I don't believe any new ones are out there. I could be wrong though.

4. If youth can ride, any recommendations as to what I should get him?
    Dominic started with an old skyski pro at 4 years old- moved up over the years - now he rides a x40DD custom painted best of the best wings... blah... blah... blah. So basically you will end up doubling your cost of this sport, but it is money WELL spent!!!

Bryan - "Shuey" Foilmacher

2008/2009 USA Waterski Innovator of the Year!!!

Face Planting Noob
    IP
    Wow, those videos put a huge smile on my face👍
    congrats, your kids are awesome. Great documented memories

Reverse Scorpion Professional
    IP
    My 9 year old on his first attempt. He is now 10 and flying pretty well. He started on an air chair stealth that I picked up for $350. He is now riding my foil even tho it's probably a little big for him.
    http://youtu.be/nDQjVGlpJSA

Face Planting Noob
    Blog Entries
    IP
    I found a sky ski jr with the shorter seat tower that works well for our 7yr old grandson. we move the footpads back and forth for smaller women and kids. we had 2 11yr old twins used it last year at lake powell. Daryl is 6'4" so his seat is too tall for a 7yr old and footpads way to far away for him. good attitude by your 12 yr old. as soon as Joey rode his kneeboard at 6 (360's both directions on his first ride, now working on 1080's both directions) he wanted to be like daddy and ride the hydrofoil. he's had a couple of neat rides where he glided off in a big arc when he let go that keep him trying. our friend john has the "double training board" that joey likes to learn on. the rope fits straight in front of him between the 2 board tips. you might see if anyone around you has one to try and learn on.