Notices

Thread: Need some pointers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Need some pointers 
    Reverse Scorpion Professional Ict316's Avatar
    IP
    I feel like I'm ready to start attempting gainers but when I look at my jumps I don't feel like I'm really that high. Just wanted some feedback on my riding.

thanks

IP
    Honestly hard to tell much because of the vertical video. From what was visible, work on cutting back and forth from one side to other focusing on keeping the foil at a consistent height off the water with the hands over your lap. Once you have that, you'll want a quicker dip and take off - a "v" rather than a "u" shaped motion. Keep at. Looking good!

IP
    I feel like I'm fighting to keep the foil in the water. I didn't know if I need to change how I sit in the seat or if I needed to do some shimming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ict316 View Post
    I feel like I'm fighting to keep the foil in the water. I didn't know if I need to change how I sit in the seat or if I needed to do some shimming.
    The position of your butt on the seat should remain relatively constant - near the front edge. Sounds more like a shim issue. What are you shimmed at currently?

IP
    I do not have a shim currently, but I think sometimes I try to sit too far back on the seat and that may be the problem, also I am a bigger rider 235lbs so didn't know how much that would affect it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IP
    Weight shouldn't be a significant factor; plenty of bigger guys on the forum do well in spite of their girth. Try a negative shim (thicker part of the shim toward the back of the rear wing). Something like a -2 or -3. Experiment until you find that you don't have to fight the foil when riding straight. When you cut, you should need to lean forward and apply some foot pressure to keep the foil level. Another factor to consider is your wheelbase. Any idea what you have that set at? If its too short, then the foil will respond really quick to any change in body position. It takes time to figure out where you are most comfortable, then just work on technique.

IP
    sorry if dumb question but wheelbase?

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ict316 View Post
    sorry if dumb question but wheelbase?
    It's how far apart the two wings are; the back wing may have sliders that allow you to shorten the distance between the two (moves the back wing forward) or the reverse. Shorter wheel base means more responsiveness, longer wheel base means less responsiveness. Not all wing set ups have adjustable wheel base. Look to see if there is a removable insert where the two rear bolts hold the rear wing onto the t-bar.

IP
    i changed the video so it may be easier to see now.

IP
    Thanks for the video edit, much easier to see. Looks to me like you just need more saddle time. Work on cutting out multiple times into the flats as fast as you are comfortable. Doing this over and over will help you develop the speed necessary for an invert but more importantly teach you how to manage line tension. Once you are comfortable cutting quickly, then jump at the end of your run into the flat. Where you jump will depend on what trick you want to attempt - gainer or roll. The next step after that is a dismount gainer to help develop air sense. Looking good!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast