Notices

Thread: First time stringing them together

1. First time stringing them together 
    Reverse Scorpion Professional TJO's Avatar
    IP
    Unlike most, the wake roll was my first invert and for several years, my only invert. This summer, I decided I was going to get over the mental block and finally learn a gainer. On the first day, my dismount gainers were going well so I decided to hold on to the rope. Unfortunately I under rotated and broke my fiberglass board. 2 weeks later with a new AC carbon board, I hit the water once again. After a couple of dismount gainers and about 5 attempts holding on to the rope, I finally rode away from my first gainer! Seeing as how it probably took me less than 20 total attempts I feel stupid for waiting so long to try, but better late than never.

Last weekend, I was finally able to string my inverts together landing a gainer, wake roll and a second gainer all in one run! They weren't the cleanest ones I have done, but stoked to have it on video. Pointers are welcome and appreciated as I certainly have room for improvement.

IP
    Right on. Not much to work out when the landings are that clean! Only issue I would point out is that your not jumping much. Get some air under it & I think they will be more fun for you.

By the way, my dad used to live in Naperville years ago. Does it still smell like Big League bubble gum?

IP
    I have only been here a few years, so I missed out on the bubble gum smell.

I can land the gainer more consistently if I don't come in with a lot of speed and don't do a big jump. I also seem to crash every time I get my other hand back on the handle so at the moment I am just landing them one handed. Going out tomorrow though so hopefully I can get bigger air and stick some landings.

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by TJO View Post
    Unlike most, the wake roll was my first invert and for several years, my only invert. This summer, I decided I was going to get over the mental block and finally learn a gainer. On the first day, my dismount gainers were going well so I decided to hold on to the rope. Unfortunately I under rotated and broke my fiberglass board. 2 weeks later with a new AC carbon board, I hit the water once again. After a couple of dismount gainers and about 5 attempts holding on to the rope, I finally rode away from my first gainer! Seeing as how it probably took me less than 20 total attempts I feel stupid for waiting so long to try, but better late than never.

Last weekend, I was finally able to string my inverts together landing a gainer, wake roll and a second gainer all in one run! They weren't the cleanest ones I have done, but stoked to have it on video. Pointers are welcome and appreciated as I certainly have room for improvement.

Congrats man!

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Congrats man!
    Thanks, now I just need to study some more of your videos so I can figure out how to go bigger.
    Congrats on the record air roll. Is there a record category for guys over 250 lbs? LOL.

IP
    Interesting how u either did ur gainers on your off side or u do ur wake rolls from you off side .. looks good tho

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by hazelwoos87 View Post
    Interesting how u either did ur gainers on your off side or u do ur wake rolls from you off side .. looks good tho
    Good catch. Marty pointed that out one time when I was talking to him, but before that I never even thought about it. Not only am I one of the few that learned a wake roll before gainer, I also learned an offside gainer before a regular one! I am just the most comfortable on that side of the boat whether I am doing a gainer on the right or doing a wake roll from right to left. However, I want to learn an air roll next and I will definitely be trying it on the left first so that I am flipping the same way as my wake roll.