Notices

Thread: Need your input please. USA-WS and USHA

1. Need your input please. USA-WS and USHA 
    IP
    Hey guys!

I stepped into the president position at USHA with a mess coming our way at USA - Water ski.
    Here is the issue:

There were several people who worked very hard in the early 2000's to get hydrofoil recognized as an official sport with USA-WS, and thereby, with the Olympic Committee.

In order for the United States Hydrofoil Association to maintain status as a recognized sport with USA-WS, we have to hold national events every-other year, and maintain a certain number of memberships at USA-WS with Hydrofoil as the members' chosen sport. Because we have not had a Nationals in 3 years, and our membership numbers have gone down severely, the by-laws of USA-WS say hydrofoil may be disenfranchised.

Our main use of USA-WS has been for their insurance of competitions. Insurance is very expensive if done without being a part of a larger organization. USA-WS makes it affordable, but we also have to be willing to follow the insurance company's mandates which include having trained drivers.

Here is what I need from you:

1. Would you be willing to join USA-WS?
    If not, please tell me your objections and what USHA can do to make membership worth it to you.

2. Would you be interested in participating in a hydrofoil tournament?
    If so, how far would you be willing to travel?

3. Would you be interested in participating in Nationals?

4. Would you be willing to help organize and put on an event such as a tournament, a clinic or fly-in?

5.. If you are a person who has historically had a beef with USHA, would you tell me what USHA can do to become a relevant and helpful organization to all hydrofoilers?

My hope is to be able to go to the USA-WS board meeting in January with a plan for what our next several years look like concerning growth of the sport, membership, and hopefully, if the community feels it is pertinent and useful, maintain a relationship with USA-WS.

Thank you for taking the time to think about these things and tell me your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Alison
    President, USHA

P.S. Here are some links for member benefits at USA-WS and membership
    If you join, please enter USH as your sports discipline.
    https://www.usawaterski.org/pages/Join.html
    http://www.usawaterski.org/graphics/...ipBenefits.pdf

IP
    Thanks Allison for stepping into that position. You did not say it directly, but I infer that the insurance for fly-ins is related to USA-WS? Does that mean that my driver at the Apache Fly-in should have been trained?

Is judging the events something that sort of became difficult and led to the demise of organized competition?

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallredrider View Post
    Thanks Allison for stepping into that position. You did not say it directly, but I infer that the insurance for fly-ins is related to USA-WS? Does that mean that my driver at the Apache Fly-in should have been trained?
    Apache was not sanctioned. Part of the difficulty of sanctioning is that we do have to have trained drivers. It is difficult to get all the drivers, and possible drivers, trained in a timely fashion. That is probably our biggest road block to sanctioning fly-ins. I am working on getting as many board members, and others, to become driver trainers, which should help.

Is judging the events something that sort of became difficult and led to the demise of organized competition?

The scoring system was a tough one to come up with. The judging/scoring committee worked hard to come up with fair judging and it seemed to work well. I was not at Brad Schmidt's event in the summer of 2014, but I was told by a couple of the pros that the scoring system was really good, so I would say scoring/judging wasn't the problem, it's more a problem with volunteers to put the events together, get sanctioning, registration, etc, etc, etc.

IP
    Bump

Todd
    08 Supra, 24 SSV Gravity Games

"Look everyone, my crown has a GECKO!"

IP
    Here is what I need from you:

1. Would you be willing to join USA-WS? Sure. How many more do you need?? I could grab you a few extra between the wife and kids.
    If not, please tell me your objections and what USHA can do to make membership worth it to you.

2. Would you be interested in participating in a hydrofoil tournament? Interested, yes. However, between running a company, and kids, it doesn't always work. But, always interested!

If so, how far would you be willing to travel? Something drivable in the RV from Minnesota would be great. If not in driving distance, flying might be possible, but not really easy to bring the whole family that way....

3. Would you be interested in participating in Nationals? Sure

4. Would you be willing to help organize and put on an event such as a tournament, a clinic or fly-in? Sure

5.. If you are a person who has historically had a beef with USHA, would you tell me what USHA can do to become a relevant and helpful organization to all hydrofoilers? No Beef. Why would anyone have a beef with USHA???

IP
    Thanks Charlie! I will check with USA-WS as to how many more we need. You could do a family membership and that would count for each of you.

North Jackson, Ohio(5 mins. from Lake Milton)
    IP
    I will offer 10% or more discounts to USHA members to reward current members and possibly motivate new members to join. I'm sure other vendors would also be willing to participate. This might be enough to boost membership by offering perks from the various foil vendors.
    Last edited by N2Orbit; 11-28-2015 at 07:33 AM.
    Marty White

Sales and R&D

N 2 Orbit Hardcore Hydrofoil Designs
    Custom Ski Builds
    Next Foils Dealer
    Air Chair Dealer

X Air Dealer

IP
    If there is a international option there would be lots of Canadians interested. National comp would be great. Would definitely try to make it.
    ​Pine Lake Riders

Reverse Scorpion Professional Ict316's Avatar
    IP
    so there hasnt been a whole lot said on this.

Would it be beneficial for each of us to go and be members at usa-ws as hydrofoilers? I haven't done this but if it will help i will as i am sure others would also.

thanks