Notices

Thread: Riding with bad hips?

1. Riding with bad hips? 
    Face Planting Noob
    IP
    Hi,

I getting up there (in age not frames) and am probably looking at hip replacements next fall. I noticed at the end of last season my left hip would grind unpleasantly if I put pressure on my feet while the knee was out to the side a bit. Happens on some landing recoveries. I think I can prevent this with a strap holding my knees together but haven't been on the water yet this year to try it.

Is there anyone who has actually had hip replacement and can say how it effected your ability to ride? You can PM me if you don't want to reply here.

Thanks,
    David B

IP
    I had my left hip replaced in Nov 2013. Recovery was decent and I was riding the next spring. In fact I scheduled it for November so it would not mess up my summers. Any issues I have are unrelated to hip surgery. I would not be concerned about it effecting your riding. There are some temporary limitations after the procedure but none that impacted my ability to ride. In fact, that was about all I could do the first summer since I needed to rebuild the strength in it before I was able to wakeboard and slalom again. Look into it yourself but I highly recommend the anterior approach method. Going in through the front is less invasive and the recovery period is quicker. Not cutting at muscle to get to the area. I will be 65 next month and would not hesitate to do the other hip if it ever becomes necessary. Good luck. Sam

IP
    I see you said hips, plural. Do not do both at one time. It's not THAT easy.
    Sam Caddle
    Lake Oroville, CA

Face Planting Noob
    IP
    Thanks for the reply.

My research indicated the hip models that are used for the minimally invasion procedure have smaller ball and socket and result in much more wear particles in your system. (a bad thing for many reasons) It's good to hear it doesn't effect your riding much. I did get out yesterday and tried a strap on my knees to keep them closer together but I had to loosen it quite a bit to prevent another stress on the hips that created a general feeling of pain as riding. Maybe something that is more elastic would be better. Of course this is just a stop-gap until I finally have to get them fixed.

I have a good friend a year younger than me who wore his both out running too much. He did both at once and was happy to have one procedure and one recovery period.

I want to get the most robust solution I can, even if the procedure is more invasive and recovery a bit longer. I abuse myself a lot with construction projects, basketball, dirt bike riding and foiling. Maybe other ways as opportunity presents.

Have you had any issues related to the belt across your hips? I had one hard landing on the front of the board yesterday and as my upper body slammed towards my knees I felt a good stress in my right hip where my waist was trying to fold over the strap, causing a separating force in the joint. Doesn't seem to have done any lasting damage, but is just another part of living with bad hips.

IP
    No issues with the belt across the hip area. I have had some good crashes and no problems or even any indication that I was stressing the area. And my belt was old school without a cushion built in. I am not familiar with the use of different size joint pieces, and it never came up in any conversation I had with doctors that did both methods. I will have to rely on your research there. Good luck whichever way you go.
    Sam Caddle
    Lake Oroville, CA