Notices

Thread: DIY Custom Rope Lengths

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Admin - XTREME Foils XtremeFoils's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    IP
    Just a warning on flat lines - I rode with one for approximately 3 minutes before it went in the "use for something else other than foiling" bin. They are great for keeping untangled, and horrible to ride with especially when learning new tricks. If they ever catch the water, they will create a TON of drag since they kind of get stuck in the water.

Funny thing is a buddy of mine got one and was so excited to use it. I crushed his dreams when I told him he'd go back to his old rope after one ride. He looked like a beat puppy when he realized what I was saying.

They probably work great if there's never enough slack for them to touch the water, but unfortunately I'm not that good of a rider.

Shu

Bryan - "Shuey" Foilmacher

2008/2009 USA Waterski Innovator of the Year!!!

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeFoils View Post
    Just a warning on flat lines - I rode with one for approximately 3 minutes before it went in the "use for something else other than foiling" bin. They are great for keeping untangled, and horrible to ride with especially when learning new tricks. If they ever catch the water, they will create a TON of drag since they kind of get stuck in the water.
    Shu
    Exactly what I experienced....

Originally Posted by Billdango
    I really like that flat orange rope you guys have on your guys boat ,coils up so nice.

Only problem with the flat line is it has a bunch of drag when you have slack in the line and catches in the water...

IP
    Drag in the water from a flat line? Hmm, I didn't experience that in the 2 days I used it. Even so, I assume that drag would help with "line" tension on the handle (ever so slightly). I guess I will find out next season.

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by ShagnWagn View Post
    Drag in the water from a flat line? Hmm, I didn't experience that in the 2 days I used it. Even so, I assume that drag would help with "line" tension on the handle (ever so slightly). I guess I will find out next season.
    This is what I have experienced.... If you are out in the flats and throw an invert or do a floater and land with slack in the rope... The flat surface of the rope catches the water and yanks on the rope hard.

Admin - XTREME Foils XtremeFoils's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    IP
    I about died trying ball and chains with this rope. I'd get wrapped up - the slack would allow the rope to touch the water. It would then start yanking me down - and while wrapped up, that was a bit of a challenge. Hence the reason that rope only lasted 3 minutes.

Bryan - "Shuey" Foilmacher

2008/2009 USA Waterski Innovator of the Year!!!

IP
    I watched a couple recent videos of me. The rope never touched the water. Although I'm not trying BnCs. I guess maybe when I get to that level...

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by ShagnWagn View Post
    I watched a couple recent videos of me. The rope never touched the water. Although I'm not trying BnCs. I guess maybe when I get to that level...
    Ride with line tension all the time and you won't ever have an issue

But when the line does touch the water... Be prepared for a good yank on the rope.

I will be riding this weekend with Old Man Jeff's flat line (my rope is out of town).... I will try to get some video for you!

IP
    I've been riding with a flat line for over half a year and like the rope - mainly because it's easy to unwind and keep untangled. My rope never hits the water except on landings sometimes. Usually it's brief dip into the water and pops right out. I've had to drop the rope occasionally due to it getting dragged through the water, but that's usually due to an unexpected turn (like when my wife drives) or very poor planning on my part. There's definitely a difference when it does drop deep into the water. It doesn't pop out nearly as well as your standard rope. Anyway, it just so rarely happens to me that I don't care. Maybe my riding just sucks, or it's because I haven't been trying BNC's or any other new tricks for awhile.

Oh yeah, and my rope is about 80 to 85' total. I could see a difference and the rope getting into the water more often if you're running a 100' +.
    Last edited by brettw; 12-02-2016 at 11:56 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12