Notices

Thread: Is it time??? From the admin

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Is it time??? From the admin 
    Admin - XTREME Foils XtremeFoils's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    IP
    Foilforum members,

After spending way too long getting the site patched yesterday due to the security issue, a thought crossed my mind. Is it time to retire Foilforum since it is rarely used? Back in the day (2010-2013), 1000 messages PER MONTH was the normal. 1500 messages in a month happened quite regularly. In the past YEAR, we had around 400 total messages.

I understand there is a wealth of information in Foilforum, and we don't want to lose that. But with so many people using other forms of social networking (facebook groups, etc), foilforum just isn't used to the extent it used to be used. Even I don't post very regularly on it any more and I'm the admin. I guess that says something.

What is everyone's thoughts? Should it be retired? Moved? Should someone else take it over and try to bring it back to life? Should it be closed so info can be retrieved but nothing added?

Thoughts???

Shu

Bryan - "Shuey" Foilmacher

2008/2009 USA Waterski Innovator of the Year!!!

IP
    I enjoy it, the videos, the pictures people post in season. Wish there was more to you point. I reference old, really old posts periodically.

I think the social media sites are fine entirely for pictures and video and hearts and smiley faces. For good feedback, asking questions, meaty subjects about the sport, this place cannot be touched.

A few of us continue to refer people on the Mastercraft forum to come here to learn more. I'm sure that happens on other boating forums as well.

I hope you keep it running, maybe revisit it periodically, If you decide to lock it down/close it, I would like it locked so it can at least be viewed.

gear and end of the rope - endoftherope
    personal site including foiling videos and pictures - http://blmeanie.weebly.com/bluemedia.html

"Pop it when you feel it"

san diego in winter...lake inez montana in summer
    IP
    Shuey.....I hope you don't shut down the Forum as there is so much valuable information on the site that riders from all levels can benefit from....I realize it's got to be a lot of work, but I'm sure all the members greatly appreciate your efforts...I know I do...Another feature of the Forum that would be hard to live without is the "classifieds"...If everyone had to buy and sell hydrofoil equipment using E-Bay, prices would be considerably higher due to E-Bays ridiculous commissions...Thus turning off many new foilers....I hope other members feel as I do and chime in.

IP
    I concur with the replies. Other methods don't have the information like here, plus you can't pull up old posts. This forum is a treasure trove of information. How many member visits plus anonymous visits are there? 400 posts a year is still over one a day. I have found a lot of info plus purchases from this site that aren't anywhere else. It would be a big hit against the community and newbies for sure. I appreciate all of the effort from you and prior admins. To lose this would be more of a hit than when we lost foilfreaks.com.

IP
    I echo the others' comments. I have only been on the site for a year or two and I find it fascinating and a terrific resource for information and making contact with other riders. I have learned so much, and have received really valuable help and advice that I never would have had access to without this site. I love it. If we were voting I would vote to keep it alive.
    Sam Caddle
    Lake Oroville, CA

IP
    Although the posts are down, I think there are still a lot of people who roam around waiting for someone else to post. I still find several good responses whenever I have a question. Thanks for all you have done. Maybe there are less posts because a search so often helps a person find the information they need?

IP
    PFC is heading to the Strip this weekend to Support Vesely who is observing for the Ski Races. We will try to pick up the post count!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ski races.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	12236

Reverse Scorpion Professional
    IP
    Let it live Shu..... I am sure once everyone has seen your post of frustration, you will see how valuable this site is to new and old riders. Words really can't explain how the last 10 years have been for me and all the foilers I have met over the years, and this site is a contributing factor in a large way. Hey I may have not even met ur Mugg but I am very grateful that I have. I am very guilty for not posting much as you can see, but loosing this site would hurt the foiling community as we know it as for us Canucks, it's the only way we see more than a handful of riders. Just hosting an event would be painful without this site. So if I can speak for all the HEROS IN CANADIA ..... letter LIVE !!!!!

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by knrbu' View Post
    Let it live Shu..... I am sure once everyone has seen your post of frustration, you will see how valuable this site is to new and old riders. Words really can't explain how the last 10 years have been for me and all the foilers I have met over the years, and this site is a contributing factor in a large way. Hey I may have not even met ur Mugg but I am very grateful that I have. I am very guilty for not posting much as you can see, but loosing this site would hurt the foiling community as we know it as for us Canucks, it's the only way we see more than a handful of riders. Just hosting an event would be painful without this site. So if I can speak for all the HEROS IN CANADIA ..... letter LIVE !!!!!
    Well put. Totally agree.

It would be a shame to see I go. It sure has slowed down on here though. I know it's got me through long winters waiting for the ice to melt. There is a ton of information on here. So if it's not a complete pain in the *** keep it going.

Thanks for the work you have put in a lot of us have benefited.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    ​Pine Lake Riders

Reverse Scorpion Professional
    IP
    At least wait until November. I'm hoping to have wake rolls and gainers dialed by then.

Seriously....no other resource like this. Dont pull the plug.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast