Notices

Thread: Help another brother invert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Help another brother invert 
    Reverse Scorpion Professional
    IP
    Ok....I've been riding for about 7 yrs or so but really just a couple times a year the past 4 yrs or so. This summer I'm all in for owning gainers and wake rolls.

So, went out today on my heavy sky ski board, shock tower, B38, raptor and viper. Running 20mph at 65 feet.

Here is my video. I can get a lot higher on jumps than this shows but am pretty rusty.

Any tips appreciated. I feel kind of like I'm trying for 3 pointers before I can really even shoot free throws. Any drills to improve my fundamentals? It looks like I am not jumping and

[vimeo]208572046[\vimeo]

****also...why won't my Vimeo embedd?? I have the /vimeo thing but it's just blank
    Last edited by Bakes; 03-15-2017 at 06:23 PM.

Reverse Scorpion Professional JasonRMorrow's Avatar
    IP
    Looks to me like you need more lift. And slow everything down, don't rush the rail off the wake, cut a tiny bit further to get set and then release foot pressure and crunch to jump.

More lift will force your chest to stay forward and use foot pressure and the line tension to cut. Right now there is no power in your wings.

I'm sure a few more guys will give you some ideas too. Jumping big is actually quite difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IP
    Bakes, I think your problem starts with the angle you are taking off at, you are way too flat in the air and then try to flip without any momentum. The best advice I received when learning inverts was (from Justin D.) to jump as steep as possible and then look over your shoulder and you body will follow.

IP
    Good advice frome the others and Ill add that you are leaning way back to flip before the foil even leaves the water. As Bill K and many others had to drill into my brain when I was first learning. JUMP THEN FLIP.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Admin - XTREME Foils XtremeFoils's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    IP
    Agreed, you definitely need more lift! The ski isn't doing any of the work for you - you are doing it all. Once you fix that, it will help get your takeoff steeper. You need to think about the tip of the board going straight up to the sky, and then pulling things around. Is there a reason you are throwing an air roll instead of a gainer? Just curious as most people will start with a gainer since it feels more "natural" if there is such a thing on a foil.

Bryan - "Shuey" Foilmacher

2008/2009 USA Waterski Innovator of the Year!!!

IP
    Well....I was trying for a gainer. :) These are my first gainer attempts in about 5 years and have just ridden a few times a year...which is probably why my gainer looks like a roll. . Had issues with foil storage on my last boat that are now resolved, so foil comes with us every time.

thanks for the tips. Got a great PM as well. I will get out again a couple times last week of March so hopefully can work on it more. I am 100% in for owning the roll and gainer by end of summer. Putting the slalom, wakeboard, and skate away until I have landed one. We put about 140 hrs a yr on the boat so I have a decent shot....I think.

In the end, I just need more chair time, attempts and video feedback. Also, if anyone is near Pueblo CO and wants to give me a few tips in person on the lake let me know. We are on the lake 1-3 days a week in the summer. Mornings only though since it blows out and gets crowded around 1100.

Thanks!

Bakes.

IP
    Agree with more lift. It doesn't have much "pop". Add shim. You should notice you get more air with less effort.
    For a gainer I would suggest cutting out further to be more square with the boat. Around another 15 degrees. It looks like a semi-roll because you are not looking straight up - you are looking over your shoulder which throws you off axis.

IP
    Ok...I think I might get out again this week. If not, going to Possum Kingdom lake next week for a few days.

Thanks again for all for the tips. I've watched a lot of film the past few days (*one upside of the getting the flu) watching everyone from successful rookies to pros on their takeoffs in slo mo. I'm going to focus on my cut, staying forward and coming out at a much steeper angle. Might drop my shim from 0.5 to 0.25 to make it a touch hotter but I really don't think that +\- 0.25 degrees of shim is my core problem.

Later

Bakes

IP
    The other guys said that your ski being slow is part of the problem. That means that your shim IS part of your problem. With better technique you may be able to overcome how dead your ski rides, but you will be so much better if you heat it up some.

Note your body position in order to get the ski to launch. I think based on what we see, you HAVE to lean way back to get the ski to jump. All of the successful players in the game are in a somewhat crunched forward position while cruising and simply sit up straight to make the ski launch. That puts you in a much better position to land and gives you more air. With the way your ski is now, it looks like it would be pretty hard to get a really good launch going.

Reverse Scorpion Professional bremsy's Avatar
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakes View Post
    Ok...I think I might get out again this week. If not, going to Possum Kingdom lake next week for a few days.

Thanks again for all for the tips. I've watched a lot of film the past few days (*one upside of the getting the flu) watching everyone from successful rookies to pros on their takeoffs in slo mo. I'm going to focus on my cut, staying forward and coming out at a much steeper angle. Might drop my shim from 0.5 to 0.25 to make it a touch hotter but I really don't think that +\- 0.25 degrees of shim is my core problem.

Later

Bakes
    You're gonna want to go the other way on your shim Bakes. Go from a .5 to a .75 to make it hotter. If you go from a .5 to a .25, you're just deadening the foil even more.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    PLR SOUTH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast