Notices

Thread: Roll Help!

1. Roll Help! 
    IP
    Lately I've had a good run on my gainers, so it is finally time to move on to rolls. I even landed 2 consecutive offside gainers.

I usually ride at 21.8MPH, and slowed it down to 20 MPH to get used to it.

I attempted 4 rolls, and all of them were pretty much the same result. I thought they felt good, and was super happy I didn't land on my head. I threw the trick, felt off axis compared to my gainer, and landed right on the wings, then the nose suddenly plummeted and I fell. I got video of the last two.

I think I see the problem...it is the same thing I tend to do with my gainers. I am a camper. I love camping. Camping is fun. Camping is relaxing. It appears that I throw it pretty nicely, but the roll is thrown where I should have been throwing my gainers. I throw my gainers almost even with the boat, so this is a clear move in the right direction. So basically, I think I am doing a 2 handed gainer.

I get some slack in the rope as I am finishing the rotation, will that fix itself if I throw it sooner?

Suggestions welcome.

Last edited by Tallredrider; 09-09-2017 at 06:26 PM.

IP
    https://vimeo.com/233145883

Video may not be showing correctly.

IP
    This looks like a gainer, not an air roll. You need to drop that inside shoulder and look over your outside shoulder when you initiate. At the end, you are pushing with your feet.

2012 Foiltech 40
    2013 FoilTech Death Blade II
    2013 FTR Rear
    2015 XAir Tower
    2015 XAir Black Board
    2015 Malibu Make Bindings

www.utahhydrofoiling.com

Am I pissing you off-fuh-fuh?

Reverse Scorpion Professional
    IP
    Tallredrider, I only do rolls, my gainers are rogains (half roll and half gainer). You need to jump while still on the cut (your board will not be pointed parallel with the direction of the boat). Hold on with both hand. Think of the prop wash as a straight line behind the boat. When on the cut, you are moving away from the prop wash line. When you jump you are still moving away from the prop wash line and your center of mass (of you and your ski) will be below the pull of the rope. Hold the rope tight, because you will feel a bit of a yank and that yank will cause you to rotate. I make a small head movement, back and toward the prop wash line. Once you land a couple, try it on the opposite side. It feels completely foreign, but get rolls working on both sides before you get too comfortable with one side, or you may never get the opposite side working. The first video worked fine for me.

Reverse Scorpion Professional
    Blog Entries
    IP
    I think the line is pulling at you when you land and your not ready for it.
    Try this sit out to the left of the boat wake about 8 feet turn ski 20%away and play with pop-ing the ski out of the water a quick nudge ...do it over and over untill you get really good pop,when it feels second nature after the pop a half second turn your head to left slightly but mostly looking back ...when you commit you will be surprized how high and how much time you have to spot the water .when you get it right the line does most of the work.remember pop pop pop pop after repeaded good jumps then pop and rotate ,but closer to wake will help the practice.good luck.

IP
    Going out again tomorrow morning.

A few take home messages:

Initiate the gainer sooner.

It is true I came off edge and then started exactly like my gainers, so I am going to stay on edge, and throw the board up and a little back, essentially following the trajectory of the board on cut, and dropping my outside shoulder and looking back.

If that fails me, I will try it Fuss's way, while just sitting outside the wash.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

IP
    Not sure how your last outing went but if you were not able to pull off an air roll (like you hoped) you may want to consider going for a wake roll. Edging toward the wake won't let you camp or coast and you will hit the wake without any line slack. For some reason, I had to learn the wake roll first because every time I went for the air roll I would get pulled over if I maintained line tension. Learning the wake roll gave me control of the line tension and I was able to duplicate it for the air roll. Good luck buddy!

Senior Foiler Elite
    IP
    What Dave said.

IP
    I nailed a couple today! I didn't get any video, unfortunately. But I was able to maintain line tension better and it felt soooo easy.

It seems that if I throw it while cutting, I must be jumping towards the boat or pulling the handle all wonky, because I get slack, then land, then the slack suddenly gets yanked out and I get pulled over the front. That happened on one attempt today.

I actually did it a little bit like Fuss said...I just put myself a little bit in the flats, actually camped out longer and then I felt a very steady tension throughout the roll.

DRossiter, Skyskiguy, we are having a foiling party at Sand Hollow September 29-30. You are invited officially! So far we've got 10 riders. I will try to keep it 4 riders to a boat ratio if possible. Anyone else is invited too, I have a thread in the flyin section describing it.

Senior Foiler Elite
    IP
    Thanks for the invite. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it, but thank you.