Notices

Thread: 1st day out this year - trouble

1. 1st day out this year - trouble 
    IP
    So I had the local marina winterize my 07 X2 in November, same as last 4 years. Today was "drop boat in the water" day, a month late but weather and life has prevented it from being sooner.

Right off the trailer, idling back to my dock that is 300 yds away, I hear water sounds I haven't heard on the boat before, water trickling or running. After getting in my slip, we start investigating, find water in the bilge, not a ton but more than should be and it seems to be moving around a little as if still having some adding to it.

Look everywhere, nothing obvious. Take boat off lift, back up a bit, float in idle, bilge pump kicks on, takes a few and shuts off. Idle around in circles by my dock, after a few minutes again the bilge jumps in. Pull back in to the dock, put on lift, look best we can for something on the under side. Nothing. Getting nervous, frustrated. Ballast? Engine block? Hole in hull?

Decide, gulp, to take it out and get on plane, as long as the bilge pump is staying ahead of things, why not? Get outside our cove and get up to speed, bilge kicks in. Pull down to idle for a bit, still looking around, alarm goes off for temp. Aha. Mechanic friend was in process of reaching in as far as he could in the plug hole by the driver and realized that water was coming from front right of the boat and was warm...

He went in from the front seating and came across water pouring out of the heater core box behind the dash area. After getting back into the dock, safely up on the lift, he dismantled it and found this waiting for us.

Now - first time out, if winterized properly, could this have happened over the winter or did they not run the anti-freeze through the engine ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1925b.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	432.2 KB 
ID:	12696  

gear and end of the rope - endoftherope
    personal site including foiling videos and pictures - http://blmeanie.weebly.com/bluemedia.html

"Pop it when you feel it"

IP
    Shop owes you a new heater core!

IP
    Well, the shop didn't drain the core. I always drained mine and then flushed it with RV antifreeze and then drained the antifreeze. I did all of this separate from winterizing the motor by disconnecting it from the motor and flushed/drained. I made sure there was as little water/fluid as possible left in the core. So, they owe you a new one. If they did run antifreeze through the motor, it wasn't enough to flush the core completely and here's the result.

IP
    I don't have to deal with winterizing but I have added ball valves on the 3 heaters I have put in my boats. Easy to cut off the water to the heater when they develop leaks (they all do eventually). Here is the heater core for the 2 hose Heater Craft. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NHS6603100. I have put in a few over the years.

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    I don't have to deal with winterizing but I have added ball valves on the 3 heaters I have put in my boats. Easy to cut off the water to the heater when they develop leaks (they all do eventually). Here is the heater core for the 2 hose Heater Craft. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NHS6603100. I have put in a few over the years.
    thanks for the link, easy and cheaper that way

personal site including foiling videos and pictures - http://blmeanie.weebly.com/bluemedia.html

IP
    Most people say that blowing it out with air is fine, but don't do it with high pressure. It is extra insurance to run antifreeze through it, some people say it is unnecessary. I think that they probably did not get the heater core free of water.

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    this one didn't fit the box my boat has, it is a 2 hose but the tubes leading in/out of the core are in different places than the one I am replacing, slightly smaller than my old one too. Hooked up a by-pass today so we could go out, want to find matching core for the box I have, will keep looking and return the one above, thanks for the info, wish it had been the one.