Notices

Thread: Mike Murphy's New Toy

1. Mike Murphy's New Toy 
    IP
    I had the pleasure of making a cf prototype gusset for Mike Murphy. He used it on a extremely lightweight board that Liquid Force made for him. The board itself was obviously not going to last, but survived quite a few rides and a even full on run by Kevin Thayer. Definitely proof of concept, but it finally failed at the improvised joint between gusset and seat tower. I was amazed that the flimsy prototype board held up that well!

Mike got Sky Ski and Jake Kinnison involved and they made a new version with a custom CF board. Really looks nice (great work Jake!). I got a chance to roll up to Canyon Lake and check it out. We did a little photo shoot run with two boats. I'm attaching a shot here. It is always fun to visit with Murphy, great to see what the prototype led to and awesome to get such a cool photo of Mike. I'm probably going to screen print another Next Foils shirt with Murphy big on the back, so much easier to make a design with an up close photo like this. The board and gusset weigh a little over 6 pounds and the board felt really solid without any noticeable flex. It also has a shorter tail than most other boards and comes off the water really well when you dip to a jump. The gusset didn't intrude on my ankles at all.

Not like a gusset hasn't been tried before (by Samson and in Mr. Steele's frame set up). The concept certainly makes a lot of sense. The right combination of board design and gusset manufacture sure makes it possible to build a much lighter board as the stress is efficiently managed by the gusset. The gusset board pictured has been ridden by a number of riders over the last month. It will be interesting to see how it holds up.

Quite a bit different than the standard boards and a lot different than my own cf boards (with a unique core for those who haven't seen my past posts). But I am always stoked to see something different and Mike sure keeps trying new concepts. He also is annoyingly good at popping rolls. During the shoot he was just nailing roll after roll as we tried to get good position with the chase boat in the choppy midday water. I sure hope I am riding like that in another decade.

Hope everyone is getting back to it as Spring has sprung. Gotta Foil!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	murphy2.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	241.2 KB 
ID:	12726  

Reverse Scorpion Professional
    IP
    What is the tbar and foil setup? Thanks for the post.
    Sam Caddle
    Lake Oroville, CA

IP
    Thanks for the update. I got to ride one of his early versions. Looks like he added material to the front. The front of the board I rode was so short it splashed water in your face. Murphy rides short tbars and small wings. Key to longevity! I too hope to be able to ride into my "golden years".

IP
    Heard a rumor Murphy was working on a non adjustable 40 inch (wet length) 2 piece t-bar with a machined top styled more like a LE38 utilizing all 3 mounting holes, is this a go?
    Pine Lake Rider - Ontario Division.

IP
    Hmm, Murphy didn't mention a machined style top two piece. Didn't see anything like that (I always check out everything in his garage when I can). Would seem to defeat the advantage of the two piece, which is the way less expensive extruded strut section (which he holds a patent on). But what do I know? Give Mike a call and ask him! He actually answers or returns calls.

His newer extruded bars do have a tighter pocket and a more streamlined fuselage (I believe that was designed by Marty at N2Orbit). Sure looks sweet.

I really haven't personally had any problem bolting my two piece t bars into my tower and having them be secure and not budge. But I don't use the ratcheting nut handles. I use bolts and locking nylon nuts tightened with a ratchet wrench and a box end. Though Murphy does ride with the ratchet handles... not like I agree with everything he does :)

IP
    I didn't realize the struts were extruded. Maybe I got it mixed up with the new fuselage/strut connection, I do remember hearing about that.
    Pine Lake Rider - Ontario Division.