Notices

Thread: Teak swim platform refurb?

1. Teak swim platform refurb? 
    Face Planting Noob
    IP
    Anyone on here ever refinished a teak swim platform? Mine is still in pretty damn good shape its just very faded and almost gray in color. Was wondering if I could get away with sanding it down a bit, restaining, and maybe a coat of epoxy or something for durability. Any advice would be great! Thanks

Reverse Scorpion Professional
    IP
    Careful not to seal it because the teak wood will not be able to breathe. If you seal it up it can rot from inside, since water will still get in. You can lightly sand it if it has gotten too rough but just make sure to clean it good before re-oiling. Regular Teak oil treatment and it will last fine. At Correct Craft they used to soak them in linseed oil. That works well and is waaaaay cheaper than teak oil. Leaves the finish a tad lighter than teak oil though. Mine is 16 years old now and I treat it two or three times a year and it still looks great. Have used both teak oil and linseed oil over the years. When it starts to dry out some just re-oil it. At least that is my experience.
    Last edited by Samcaddle@yahoo.com; 3 Days Ago at 09:52 AM.
    Sam Caddle
    Lake Oroville, CA

Face Planting Noob
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Samcaddle@yahoo.com View Post
    Careful not to seal it because the teak wood will not be able to breathe. If you seal it up it can rot from inside, since water will still get in. You can lightly sand it if it has gotten too rough but just make sure to clean it good before re-oiling. Regular Teak oil treatment and it will last fine. At Correct Craft they used to soak them in linseed oil. That works well and is waaaaay cheaper than teal oil. Leaves the finish a tad lighter than teak oil though. Mine is 16 years old now and I treat it two or three times a year and it still looks great. Have used both teak oil and linseed oil over the years. When it starts to dry out some just re-oil it. At least that is my experience.

Awesome! Thanks I had no clue it just needed to be oiled lol. I will probably lightly sand it as well due to it being just a little rough to the touch. I appreciate it!