Notices

Thread: Busted Evo Tower

1. Busted Evo Tower 
    IP
    One of my bolts had sheared off at the top, but I was out on vacation on Lake Oroville and so kept riding. On a landing, the side panel broke. The other side is cracked as well. So I need to do something. What do you all think about welding this? I've been told it could be done, but Kelson mentioned the metal around the weld might be weaker. Does anybody have any extra side panels laying around? I'll be calling Jake at SkySki to check as well. Any used Evo/Skeleton or newer towers someone is looking to sell? I'm just looking for options and thoughts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tower.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	939.0 KB 
ID:	12771  

IP
    I didn't say welding was a bad thing, but welds in high stress areas really need to be annealed.
    https://app.aws.org/forum/topic_show.pl?tid=7392

Am I right that you were running the set up without the OEM counter sunk stringer washers when you first popped the bolt? Those AL stringer washers reinforce the tower plates and definitely help keep the hex head counter sunk screws from popping.

Sorry Brett, but I'm still laughing about you continuing to ride with just three tower bolts... I know that is harsh. But geez.

Don't forget to strip all of the good pieces regardless of what direction you go in next. I have dibs on the hinges!

Still welcome to borrow my Next Foils skate bushing bolt together tower while you figure out your tower situation.

IP
    Yeah I didn't have the right washers on there I guess. I used the ones that came with the tower. Nobody who saw it - even you, although it's been awhile, ever said anything, so I just never really thought about it. Yeah yeah, I rode with 3 bolts only - a bad decision in hindsight. I didn't even think about the stress on the tower, though. I was just thinking 3 will do it for now in regards to keeping the tower on the board. I'll possibly look into welding if new plates aren't available or cost too much. If I don't, you definitely have dibs on any of the parts.