Notices

Thread: When did SS go billet

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. When did SS go billet 
    Senior Foiler Elite
    IP
    Anybody know which year the Pro St went from cast to billet?
    Mike
    '12 MB Sport 23' B52 Widebody -- SOLD
    '04 Mastercraft X2 -- SOLD
    Sky Ski Launch
    XXX/UFO/Xair

IP
    '04?

IP
    Something like that for the foil. But pieces are interchanged so often it might be a good idea to have someone look at it to make sure.

Senior Foiler Elite
    IP
    Thanks. I'm looking at an '04 Pro St, but it's on Craigslist and is a long way away. Is there a way in pictures I can tell the difference between billet and cast?
    Mike
    '12 MB Sport 23' B52 Widebody -- SOLD
    '04 Mastercraft X2 -- SOLD
    Sky Ski Launch
    XXX/UFO/Xair

IP
    The top is different on the two.... the part that slides into the seat. Billet bars are extruded all the way up, has the same shape as the rest of the billet t-bar & just has two holes near the top. The cast bar is bigger & thicker than the t-bar.

Also the number of screw holes at the front wing. 3 holes on case. 5 on billet, even on the Pro where two of the holes might not be threaded.
    Last edited by AirJunky; 10-27-2008 at 07:46 PM.

IP
    I had an 03 and it was cast so 04 would be my guess. All of them have 3 bolts holding the front wing on so you wouldn't see 5 bolt holes unless the front wing was off but I had one person tell me their billet foil didn't have 5 holes in the T-bar. The easiest way to tell is the cast has a Fork Top so all you do is loosen the seat bolts and it slides out. The billet has 2 bolts that go threw the T-bar that have to be removed to slide the T-bar out. For me the easiest way to tell with the Foil assembled is by the rear wing. Below is a picture of my rear wing on the cast. It has a trough in front of the wing bolts and the T-bar keel tapers to a point in front of it. The billet foil has a keel that doesn't taper to a point and the rear wing doesn't have the trough and it sets right on the keel (the triangular shaped fin on the bottom of the T bar, without this it would really look like a T). I have also attached a pic of a B39 rear wing. The pro wing looks identical to this except the trailing edge doesn't have the bat cut outs, it is completely straight across the trailing edge. I attached the picture so you could see what the front looks like without the trough and you can see how it has little wingtips bent down were the cast foil is more of a traingular shape with two fins cast into the bottom of the wing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rearcast_foil_sky_ski_010_182.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	1359   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LaunchRearBatwing.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	1360  

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
    Anybody know which year the Pro St went from cast to billet?
    Pilot, IMO you are trying to get a SS Pro that is better than another one. Trust me, get the cheapest SS you can. Cast or Billet. As long as the unit isn't trashed it will work. After a few months and you are flying and just learning to jump it will be time for you to UPGRADE. I know you might think I'm nuts but TRUST me your riding skills will explode with a good foil assembly. My brother was riding a cast SS and could do gainers, rolls, and even an occasional spin. He was a very accomplished rider but when he bought the Foiltech Assembly his riding just went through the roof. his rolls are near 50 frames he is doing gainer to gainer swoops with a lot more ease and even has landed a handful of fronts the last time he was out.

I was out riding a couple of weeks ago and Aymee made a good point. Don't let your equipment limit your abilities. If you have the means to buy the best them buck up and buy the best. This came out after I told her that I didn't think my skills were ready for a Mach 3 wing. She is right though, next time out I'm going to bolt that wing on and ride it for all it's worth.

I know you don't want to drop $3k on a foil but since you will most likely upgrade with in a year of your starter foil don't make to big a deal on if it is cast or billlet. TRUST me after you have learned to fly and we can get together again and you ride my foil you WILL find a way to upgrade. I can't even begin to tell you the difference.

Hawk
    IP
    I know of a complete sky sky ss that is a cast version that is for sale. I previously owned it and learned gainers,rolls, and even front flips on it. The friend that bought it from me decided that hydrofoiling is not for him so lemme know if you interested. It is probably about $800. Here is a pic of me on it in may.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skyski_front.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	1361  

Reverse Scorpion Professional Airjnky78's Avatar
    IP
    We started going to billet in early 04, by mid-year the transition was complete. Just like Bill said, look at the top of the strut, the cast t-bars have the big 2-pronged fork, and utilize the safety pin through the seat tower to retain the foil. None of the billet foils since then use the safety pin, except some of the older LE stuff. Also, the rear wing on the cast foils will be the old style with the fins inbound from the edges of the wing, instead of bent down winglets like on all the new stuff.

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I know of a complete sky sky ss that is a cast version that is for sale. I previously owned it and learned gainers,rolls, and even front flips on it. The friend that bought it from me decided that hydrofoiling is not for him so lemme know if you interested. It is probably about $800. Here is a pic of me on it in may.
    Mike, DO IT!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast