Notices

Thread: Advanced/Pro rear wing for standard AC question

1. Advanced/Pro rear wing for standard AC question 
    Face Planting Noob
    IP
    Why didn't the upward curved rear wing design take off for other designs?

IP
    I assume you are talking something dramatic like the Stealth one? I tried the one that came with my Stealth 14 years ago. It would porpoise like crazy and was not ride-able. I could only use the flat rear. But then again, I'm talking about the Stealth... glad I got rid of that thing. lol

I have not heard of discussions about it beyond as far as an aftermarket setup. Some of the rears have slope to them, and some have "winglets" on the ends which is somewhat similar. I don't recall any dramatic curves on aircrafts.

There are several curved front wings that even pro riders use, including my own.

Face Planting Noob
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by ShagnWagn View Post
    I assume you are talking something dramatic like the Stealth one? I tried the one that came with my Stealth 14 years ago. It would porpoise like crazy and was not ride-able. I could only use the flat rear. But then again, I'm talking about the Stealth... glad I got rid of that thing. lol

I have not heard of discussions about it beyond as far as an aftermarket setup. Some of the rears have slope to them, and some have "winglets" on the ends which is somewhat similar. I don't recall any dramatic curves on aircrafts.

There are several curved front wings that even pro riders use, including my own.
    Apparently they call it the Standard Air Chair now and it comes with a flat beginner rear wing and a another rear wing that is used in two different directions. I was curious because when the advanced/pro wing is installed it curves upward and most rear wings curve downward. I must say it was totally dead with the beginner wing, meaning it wouldn't jump very steep without a ton work by the rider but in the advanced setup it moves much faster and jumps steeper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear wing.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	12808  

Reverse Scorpion Professional
    IP
    I rode the Stealth AC for years. Way too many years. In my experience with it, the curved wing in the Pro position with the curve going forward the foil was super quick but for me impossible to tune to get it to ride with any stability, and porpoised like crazy. I rode it for a long time in the "Advanced" position and once it was tuned nicely it rode pretty well with good pop and very soft landings. But it too was unforgiving to me and I completely stopped progressing, in fact became less consistent. After finally selling it and building a new ski my riding took off again. With anything but the beginner flat rear wing it was near impossible to teach someone to ride as it was too unstable. This is just my opinion. I am sure there are many people that like the Stealth and I am not trying to trash it. It was just not a good fit for me.
    Sam Caddle
    Lake Oroville, CA